The unapologetic childish mockery of stupidly stupid dumb band names thread

Comments

• I would say anyone who calls their band 'Tonton Macoute' has to pretty dumb. Perhaps it just sounds cool and exotic.
  • I would say anyone who calls their band 'Tonton Macoute' has to pretty dumb. Perhaps it just sounds cool and exotic.

the keyboard player went on to play in Voyager, a band whose dumbness is well documented.
    my guess is he probably owned the PA or something and forced the other guys to agree to the name.
    you really can't trust keyboard players.
  • you really can't trust keyboard players.
    keytar.jpg
  • >I would say anyone who calls their band 'Tonton Macoute' has to pretty dumb.

Look it up on WikiPedia, the meaning is cool enough (essentially, "bogey man"), but the political conotations are distasteful, especially in the late 60's! The Tonton Macoute were the Haitian secret police.
  • This is a fun thread. I can't think of any bands to mock just now.

Those stupid metal bands with shock names need to grow up and get something that can be said on a family network. Wait. Maybe that is on purpose, they are not family-friendly? Not public airwave potential? So angry at the world that they have to spit out venomous nonsense? They remind me of that Adam Sandler movie where it's the future and everyone is so stupid, they sit and watch movies of people's butts and laugh. And they remind me of me!

OK, this is childish mockery of Vienna Teng . Except I think that is her real name. I actually like her music. Reminds me of Tori Amos . Um, another odd band name,there. Bwahahaha. Tori? What's wrong with Vickie/Vicky or even Viki? I hope she marries a Topher.

Ah, for the halcyon days at emu when I'd download Alabama Thunderpussy without a 2nd thought.
  • edited April 2010
    Metal bands also abuse fonts...
    Dum6Q.jpg
    (Stolen from Reddit)
  • A link posted in the comments of that Metal-font thread: Heavy Metal Band Names
  • I think a burning episode is what you get when you eat a vulgar pigeon.
  • AmieStreet's Metal Fest continues, I hereby nominate this one as the band name worst ever. NSFW, or Lunch, for that matter.
  • The album name is a lot, lot, lot worse than the band name. But, yeah, more proud parents I'm sure.
  • Just popped over here after seeing that name. There is something seriously wrong with some of those people.
  • edited April 2010
    OK, this isn't a band name - it's an album name that was a daily Amazon freebie by a band named Cornershop.
    Judy Sucks a Lemon for Breakfast?
    Very odd.

413WjtF%2BmSL._SS500_.jpg
  • @Katrina, fantastic album and band though!
  • Yeah, Cornershop is awesome, but that title is a real headscratcher. They've always had odd titles, but were usually somewhat cool sounding (Woman's Gotta Have It, When I Was Born for the 7th Time, etc.)
  • Unapologetic childhish mockery of snapshots posing as cover art on Amie Street:

Classic-Country-In-The-South-by-Gene-Starr_z1yni7zlZqkx_216w_216h.jpg

http://amiestreet.com/music/gene-starr/classic-country-in-the-south-2/
  • A new release destine for the asinine metal band hall of fame, Diminished. An album filled with cheery tunes like "Anal Seepage." NSFL (Not safe for lunch)
  • At Last - a metal band name to really get behind - Vomitor. Let's all say it with your best cartoon voice -

" I am Vomitor!".
  • That said, who couldn't use a good helping of Goatpenis in their life?
  • That said, who couldn't use a good helping of Goatpenis in their life?

[action]Raises hand.[/action]

Craig
  • What's funny about these gross-metal band names is that they apparently are looking for some kind of shock value, but the whole thing is so 7th grade it's more ludicrous than shocking. Too, how much of an impact are you really having when every band on the bill has an equally stupid name? I can only suppose the ridiculousness is part of the whole "f*ck-it-all" attitude they wish to portray.

I guess what I'm saying is, we need some kind of Goatpenis vs Prose in Rosette mashup. Then we'd really have something.
  • What if Jim Morrison had been resurrected in the 90's? Dare I say it - Jesus Lizard King? Of course if it were to be a metal band it would have to be Giant Jesus Lizard Dick King. Pardon me while I ask forgiveness for my blaspheming.
  • That made me laugh! In the 90s, though - isn't that too soon? Aren't the grossest of these gross bands/songs post-millenium?
  • Out of deference to Jesus Lizard I'm fairly sure I first became aware of them back then. If you ever get the chance to see the Costa Rica episode of The Wild Boyz with those 2 maniacs in the pool with the Jesus Lizard please do so - we laughed so hard we cried.
  • I'm listening to a Fang Island radio station on Last.fm. I love me some post-rock, but most of the band names belong in this thread. This Town Needs Guns, Bear in Heaven, Ghosts and Vodka, and And So I Watch You From Afar... seriously?

But I do love the name Giraffes? Giraffes! Excellent use of punctuation.
  • Doofy - I saw that one. It's so beyond the pale, I can't believe it.

As for the new PiR. Not only is new stuff from them, but it is a cover of The National with the Disney princesses on the album artwork. How much awesome can be in one place?

Craig
  • edited October 2011
    300x300.jpg

- Roughly translated: Rump cork.