the death count

okee dokee. i've cancelled and have no intention of returning - i by-passed the sweetener of a free month simply because wherever else i go will have a sweetener better than staying (i.e. 50 freebies to join limewire). the issue to me really comes down to loyalty and trust. i give them tons of credit for having a credible voice on the boards when times were tough (genmod, yancey and to a lesser extent jedwardk) - but cathyhn is not a credible voice and ceo for ten minutes closed-response post simply reinforces they are in a mode of "here's our decision; live with it."

well, the door swings both ways, here's my decision, live with it.

i know daniel esq feels similarly re: the departing labels so reasonable people can differ on this issue. i have no interest impacting how any other will stay or go. there's too many variables - starting with where you live - to even have meaningful input.

in the end, my loyalty was never an issue. so i don't leave with piss and vinegar belligerence - i'm sure i'll find a place that syncs up with the way i consume music - hell, i was a basic subscriber the entire decade so i'm not hard to serve.

now blind loyalty is another story.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I tried to cancel in October, but they gave me a free month. I took it and got the credits last week, used them, and canceled as soon as I listened to all the tracks to assure no bad downloads.

As I've said before, the decision for me was purely about money. The increased costs simply don't make financial sense to me in conjunction with the subscription model. This is especially the case when I can get my same 50 DL a month at The Wire at less than 3/4 the price. Sure they don't have all the top indie labels I like (at least not yet), but they have plenty that interests me, and not having those labels actually encourages me to get some of the more obscure things that I had in my eMu SFL, but hadn't gotten because the new Matador, 4AD, etc. album took precedence. It's that encouragement that got me to download Victoire's Cathedral City that I'm now absolutely addicted to.

In the end I have no hard feelings for eMu, and will feel bad when they go under, but am simply dumbfounded by their decisions.

Craig
  • I'm gone too. I have one song left to buy with my remaining $0.50, so I need to find a good one. Simply put, the prices aren't good enough to convince me to continue to fund a subscription, which compels me to buy a certain amount every month. I'll buy at Amazon when stuff is on sale, or rejoin Limewire. I don't feel like eMusic owes me anything, but the service in its present form bears little resemblance to the one I signed up for, and I'm voting on the changes with my feet.
  • I will probably stay for a while at least. Prices on most of the things on my list haven't changed, and the bonus on my grandfathered plan helps. The price "ceiling" of ~6 bucks is lower than I expected, and generally beats Amazon by quite a bit.

Still, an increase is an increase. I was lucky enough to refresh yesterday and got 4 albums...under my new plan (incl bonus), I would only have been able to get 3 of these.

My main interest is jazz, so the Indie exodus doesn't really affect me. The loss of Fantasy is a bit of a blow...Karg has a theory they may be back, hopefully that's right. I found lots of new things to add my list yesterday. I also expect to do a month on Limewire sometime soon...they're clearly a better deal on labels carried by both stores.
  • Fantasy went away?...I just checked Monk (and Creedence). They're still there. What I found a few months ago was that there must have been some switch in the database - my SFL would show that the album was no longer available, but I could search on the artist and find the same album for the same number of dl's. They must have re-loaded a bunch of the albums and instead of tying the reloads with the current albums they just created new records and canceled the ability to download. Coleman Hawkins The Hawk Flies High is one of the specific albums that I had on my list that was still really there when I went to DL it, and it's there this morning.
  • @bremble, there is some weirdness going on with Fantasy. Yes, "Fantasy" is still there. (And so is "Prestige") But Fantasy/Prestige is gone; so is "Fantasy/Pablo" (But "Pablo" is still there!) [/forehead slap]

Telarc has gone missing as well, as others have pointed out.

"The Hawk Flies High" is a great album. Among other virtues, it has a great example of circular breathing by Idrees Sulieman on "Juicy Fruit"!
  • I'll be gone as soon as my annual is done. The loss of Beggars combined with the new plan gives me zero incentive to stay.
  • I'm gone as of yesterday afternoon on both of my accounts. I was correct that buying a $25 booster prior to the cutover got me $30 in currency afterwards, so I cleared out a bunch of my SFL and said goodbye.

Interestingly, I got no offers to stay while/after cancelling. I would have just used 'em and quit again anyway.
  • edited November 2010
    Fantasy/Specialty is also gone - some of the releases have vanished, some have been subsumed under Fantasy. I would have appreciated a heads up on these labels to possibly complete some albums, especially since this is not the first time we've gotten jobbed on these labels - they had a previous distribution switcheroo a couple of years ago.
    It's just another clusterf**k - they have some Specialty Profiles but the older releases are not yet found.
  • There's still 100 albums from Fantasy/Specialty in Europe with the latest addition 11/07/06
    Link.
  • So they offerred me 3 months at 50% off, 2 down, 1 to go, and how it works on the new deal is pay $9.99, get $8 "bonus", (not really 50%, but whatever), so before the change my account clearly noted that this was a temporary, 50% off plan. But now my account just says this is my plan. So did I fall through a crack? Am I going to indefinitely get about 36 $.49 tracks for $9.99, about $.27 per track? I guess I'll find out next month. And then I'll have to figure out if I just feel too bad about getting a deal that everybody else doesn't to keep doing it.