Impacts of illegal downloading

edited December 2010 in General
I'm sure no-one using this message board would download illegally but you may be interested in this report that I have also put on the message board at the other place. I hadn't realised how high illegal downloading is in the UK. I'm totally opposed to illegal downloading, but I am sure higher digital music costs in the UK by all(Emusic, itunes, Amazon et al) compared to, say, the US, have contributed to the high rate.

The full details can be found at http://www.bpi.co.uk/press-area/news-amp3b-press-release/article/new-bpi-report-shows-illegal-downloading-remains-serious-threat-to-britains-digital-music-future.aspx
"The UK’s digital music market continues to expand, but record levels of illegal downloading present a serious threat to the country’s online music future, confirms a major new report – Digital Music Nation 2010 – published by recording industry trade body the BPI today.

The report, featuring new research from both Harris Interactive and UKOM/Nielsen, for the first time provides a comprehensive picture of the legal and illegal digital music landscape in the UK.

The UK is one of the world’s most advanced digital music markets. With 67 legal services, the UK offers music fans unprecedented choice over how to access their favourite bands online and awareness of digital music offerings is at an all-time high. Around a quarter of record industry revenues now come from digital.

But while the UK digital music market has expanded, widespread illegal downloading means it is growing much more slowly than it ought to be. The lack of action against illegal downloading continues to undermine the potential for the digital music sector to expand, eroding value for investors, discouraging innovation and harming Britain’s musical culture. These effects are now felt right across the UK’s creative industries.

In 2010, illegal music downloading continues to rise in the UK. The number of people using peer-to-peer software to download music has remained steady, while the use of non-P2P channels such as cyberlockers and MP3 pay sites is rising alarmingly. More than three-quarters of the music downloaded in the UK is illegally obtained, with no payment to the musicians and songwriters or music companies who invest in them.
The range and variety of services in the UK’s innovative legal music market is encouraging some migration away from piracy. But in the absence of any effective deterrent, it is unsurprising that overall, illegal downloading continues to rise. This confirms the need for the urgent implementation of the Digital Economy Act, alongside industry initiatives that continue to raise awareness of legal services and the value of music.

Geoff Taylor, BPI Chief Executive, said: “Digital music is now mainstream in the UK, with much to be proud of – nearly 70 legal services and a further increase in the numbers of digital singles and albums set to be sold online in 2010.

“Yet this growth is a fraction of what it ought to be. Illegal downloading continues to rise in the UK. It is a parasite that threatens to deprive a generation of talented young people of their chance to make a career in music, and is holding back investment in the fledgling digital entertainment sector.

“As the internet becomes central to many aspects of our lives, including how we access our entertainment, we must decide whether we can afford as a society to abandon ethical values we stand by elsewhere - that stealing is wrong; that creativity should be rewarded; that our culture defines who we are, and must be protected.

“The creative industries employ two million people in the UK and are the fastest growing sector of the economy. Urgent action is needed to protect those jobs and allow Britain to achieve its potential in the global digital market. 2011 must be the year that the Government acts decisively to ensure the internet supports creativity and respects the basic rules of fair play we embrace as a nation.”

Other points from the report include:
Innovation is helping to drive growth beyond the traditional a la carte music purchase model pioneered by market leader iTunes. 18% of digital income now comes from a mixture of subscription services – like those offered by Napster and eMusic – and the ad-supported services including Spotify and We7.

The UK now boasts 67 legal digital music services – believed to be the widest available choice in the world – spanning streaming, a la carte, subscription, bundled and mobile offerings. Britain compares favourably with Germany (42), Spain (29), France and Italy (both 27) and the USA (20).

The range of music available to UK consumers on legal services has expanded, drawn from a global catalogue of licensed digital music in excess of 13 million tracks. Consumers are responding enthusiastically. In the UK, where the average price of a digital single track download is 82p, the number of different tracks downloaded each week has grown by almost four times in five years

I do think the average price of 82 pence ($1.28) contributes to the problem

Comments

• A point and a question: your recording industry has been making this claim for a generation: I remember replacing my worn-out copy of The Clash in the early 80s and seeing a skull&crossbones placed over a cassette silhouette with the words HOME TAPING IS KILLING MUSIC underneath. If there is more truth to this position now, I suspect you nailed it by pointing out that 82p is expensive.

Which brings my (probably naive) question: why is music so much more expensive for you?

And (off-topic): did you ever get any good non-Youssou N'dour mbalax recomendations? I remember you posted the question @ eMu last summer.
  • published by recording industry trade body the BPI
    Based on a long history of hyperventilating paranoia and inflating piracy numbers into the realm of surreal absurdism coupled with an absolute refusal to adapt to changing market conditions and a frighteningly successful but unsurprising push to ensure nothing every enters the public domain I hope that groups like BPI, RIAA, and MPAA shrivel up and expire.

tl;dr
    Load of horseshit.
  • edited December 2010
    In answer to the last question first - not really. The nearest is Cheikh Lo - and Youssou n'Dour has been involved in the production of some of his CDs, anyway.

IMO music is more expensive here because they think they can get away with it. Prices are not too dissimilar across the European Union countries once slight VAT (the European equivalent of sales tax) differences are taken into account. Even allowing for the tax difference with the US (any idea what it is typically, in say, one of the bigger states?) music is much more expensive over here in any format. One of the problems is that because the price is now so high, more younger people download illegally and expect music to be free, and are consequently never prepared to pay for it. Those of us who do pay, either via CDs or downloads, are contributing more to label costs. I'd really like to see an explanation from, say, the Beggars Group, which is UK based about why they charge more in some markets. But the bottom line from say Amazon and itunes, who both operate out of the Channel Isles to avoid taxes on downloads, actually use the same computers that downloads come from in the States, so their costs here are no higher. Basically I believe they are screwing us more!!

I do wonder, however, whether if someone found out, whether illegal downloading would be at a similar level proportionately accross other parts of the World??
  • edited December 2010
    I think the trouble here is constantly framing the discussion in terms of legality or morality (mind you I'm not advocating a position even if my feelings about the industry are negative). Disregarding that, what does this say about how the industry is adopting to changing market conditions? Digital goods, for the most part, tend towards disintermediation. Some people, like Tapscott, have talked about this being the nature of the Internet as a distribution channel as it routes around damaged parts but really I think it is just human nature to choose the path of least resistance.

As distribution channels go, the consumer is in charge when it comes to digital goods and that this process of disintermediation and realignment is cutting across a wide swath of retailers that pinned their business model on the transport and sale of media as a physical good. This market disruption is the same as when the automobile industry cut into the horse and buggy market and when the trucking industry soared past trains with the advent of the highway systems (very US-centric analogy perhaps).

The reality is that the market is changing and fragmenting; it is very likely that the concept of the blockbuster or superstar is waning. Emerging businesses like Kickstarter, Bandcamp, and Steam are pointing towards distribution models that, while not fully disintermediated, are certainly streamlined. Erecting new laws and international agreements is only increasing the friction and pain with regards to the change and applying forced artificial scarcity will likely not ingratiate oneself with consumers.
  • Interesting. I see a lot of people on message boards (not this one) rationalizing illegal downloading with some variant on a stick it to the big evil corporations argument. Just recently I read an interview (which I now can't find of course, but it's misplaced somewhere in the internet) with Taylor Deupree of the wonderful 12K records. He basically said that for several years the whole filesharing/illegal downloading thing did not affect his label, because folk were mostly ripping off popular acts, but that in the last year or two it had started making a significant inroad into their CD sales and was a cause of concern. He was specifically angry about blogs posting albums with the claim they were supporting the artists and then acting self-righteous and offended when he told them to take the music down. The sad thing here is that small labels might be less able to sustain a reduction in actual sales of a given percentage - they are not making big profits to start with. Another reason why I think it's important that things like bandcamp succeed.
  • I see a lot of people on message boards (not this one) rationalizing illegal downloading with some variant on a stick it to the big evil corporations argument.
    I don't think we're defending piracy so much as find the discourse on piracy a red herring with regards to the profitability of the industry and cost of music itself.
  • Basically this confirms that it is an artificially driven market. In a similar discussion way back whenever, someone pointed out that 99 cents (or 82p for you Brits) was the market price point. The claim was that since people were willing to pay that for a song, it meant that the market had determined that it was the appropriate price. But if only 25% of people in England are willing to pay 82p (I'm abbreviating that right, right?) while the other 75% are paying nothing, clearly it is not the right price.

And no, I'm not going to claim that all music should be free or that copyright infringement is 100% a-ok (although I would personally rather have no copyright than the system we have today). I'm just pointing out that the price they picked largely for convenience would be better off lowered to a point in which far more people would pay. And if you expect to get to a point of 100% participation, plan on giving it all away for free. Otherwise come to grips with the fact that some people have no interest in paying.

I can't remember if it was in a discussion with a friend or from an article, but the point was made that you can categorize consumers (at least when it comes to digital music) in one of three ways: those who will always pay, those who would rather pay and those who will never pay. Make things easy on the first group, work on winning over the second and ignore the third.
  • Otherwise come to grips with the fact that some people have no interest in paying.
    It's hard to come to grips with it, especially in areas other than music.

I don't see anything wrong with musicians trying to make a living doing what they love. I have a choice as to whether or not I will pay the asking price. Concerts, for instance. Some are priced so high that they just don't fit my budget. However, I have paid more than felt comfortable to see two or three musicians, and it seemed worth it after the fact because I had a great time.
  • I always find the industry's calculations of how much they are losing to be rather ludicrous:

Downloader A, a 16 year old boy downloaded 1000 songs off of a P2P network. Since the market price is 99 cents a song, we have lost $990 to piracy.

Wrong. Downloader A might have spent $15-20 for the music he really wanted, if he didn't have the option of getting it somewhere else for free. That $15-$20 will now be spent buying an xBox platinum hits game instead. In an earlier era, he might have sprung for one CD with 12 songs and lived without the rest. He considers the rest gravy, and will probably never even listen to the great majority of what he's downloaded. In no case would he have spent $1000 obtaining the music legally if the illegal options weren't there, especially given that he only makes about $400 a month at his part time job.

99 cents was set because for a lot of people in the biz making decisions are of an age and era where that amount equals the price of a single. The average buyer doesn't want to pay $15 for a CD with only 2 decent songs, they want to buy those 2 songs. For the average buyer getting what the really want for $2 is very much preferable to paying $15 for 2 things they want and a bunch of stuff they don't want. As long as that dynamic remains, I don't know how much movement there will be the pricing of tracks.

As I've said before, my 6 nieces and nephews (ranging in ages 16-22) all have music collections on their iPods that put what I had to shame at their, even though I spent every spare penny (starting with my birthday money and my paper route money) buying music. I honestly don't know if any of them have bought a CD or a legal download in the past several years. we have a generation of kids who don't see any sense of paying for music.

Anyone read "Appetite for Self-Destruction" by Steve Knopper? I"m about half way through. It's a rather interesting case study of the music industry of the last 30 years or so. I picked up a copy at Half Priced books for a few bucks.

(I wish people would stop giving items 1 star ratings on Amazon for reasons other than the actual quality of the product.)
  • Sad to say that I am in the age group who spent 99 cents for a 45...
  • edited December 2010
    I don't think we're defending piracy so much as find the discourse on piracy a red herring with regards to the profitability of the industry and cost of music itself.
    I hear you, and I do get that. It's a part of how interests relate to arguments that those with interest to defend will often make dubious use of otherwise sound moral arguments do defend those interests, and that is surely what is sometimes happening when the music business cries out against piracy. But the message board comments I had in mind (not actually here or at emusic) appeared to be crudely doing the same thing - appealing to a (in another place morally justifiable) moral argument against the depravity of big business to justify their own desire for free music. Reading Taylor Deupree's comments was for me a sobering indication that the file sharing thing is starting to harm small and often fiercely ethical labels that in the first wave were kind of insulated because of their relatively small stake in the mass of files out there, and so anyone using the corporate evil argument to justify not paying for music had better at least make sure they are solely downloading music released by the targets they are claiming to attack (that might make them consistent; I am not arguing it would make them justified).
  • edited December 2010
    I don't see anything wrong with musicians trying to make a living doing what they love. I have a choice as to whether or not I will pay the asking price. Concerts, for instance. Some are priced so high that they just don't fit my budget. However, I have paid more than felt comfortable to see two or three musicians, and it seemed worth it after the fact because I had a great time.

I am fascinated by what bandcamp is doing to my psychology in this regard. I've been touting the new Invisible Allies album elsewhere on this board (Electronic category thread). It's $4.90 on emusic, $10 on bandcamp, and not hard to find it for free. After streaming it a few times I bought it from bandcamp. Why? Mostly gratitude - love the music and felt the artist deserved more than a cup of cheap coffee back from me. I don't do this all the time, and do not have a massive music budget (I'm at the $15.89 level on emusic), and I'm really not writing this with the (conscious) intention of boasting about being all ethical - more like thinking aloud about why I just did what I did. But this time it made sense. The reasons why include a connection to that music, reading an interview with the artist and liking his vision, being part of discussions like this, and I guess many of my wider more gut level convictions about how to treat people and the value of the work of their hands and minds.

Before anyone says so, I am more than aware that anyone who tried to build their business model on me as the typical consumer might well be bankrupt in a month, and I am outnumbered by the teens swiping Britney songs. But it does interest me how the internet can push in both directions. It can make the whole thing seem more anonymous and make it seem like nonsense to pay money to a faceless corporation via an impersonal download service to transfer some bytes that do not reduce the sender's stock of bytes. And it can connect me with an artist in another part of the world and their ideas and make me want to invest in their work. Seems to me a lot more of the available energy should go in the direction of trying the make what I just experienced more widespread. Might have more to do with things like education and communication than legal processes.
  • Seems to me a lot more of the available energy should go in the direction of trying the make what I just experienced more widespread. Might have more to do with things like education and communication than legal processes.
    It is about re-engineering the business model to handle these changes. I think bandcamp and kickstarter are attractive to consumers because they allow for connections to occur that did not really exist when the transport of goods was fully mediated. In my experience, getting a personal note from Johnny Dowd after buying his latest offering on his website afforded me a connection I cannot obtain by going down to a big box retailer and pawing through what they are selling at the moment. This is what the industry is missing, they want to ensure all the layers of organizations are retained, continue charging for the media as if it is a physical good constrained by physical forces (distance, scarcity, etc), but enjoy the lower overhead of digital distribution.
  • Reading Taylor Deupree's comments was for me a sobering indication that the file sharing thing is starting to harm small and often fiercely ethical labels that in the first wave were kind of insulated because of their relatively small stake in the mass of files out there
    I'm not sure what to make of Deupree's comments. I don't doubt that 12k has experienced piracy, but Deupree offers no incites so much as he throws up the typical flags. Arguing that a collection of music is a unified entity, comparable to a monograph, is one thing; understanding that unity based on the physicality of the media that carries it (the CD) is back-pedaling. The internet is closer to radio than most labels care to admit. There's no reason I couldn't rip an album straight from a legal stream--that would be like taping a radio show that plays whole albums or recording my favorite TV shows. Well, it might be more complicated, but I believe the moral implications are similar. Legal ownership of the full music is a hop, skip and jump away--a different way the information is transferred to me. Indeed, legal ownership of individual tracks is quite easy--members of this forum admit that they have the bulk of the major singles from this year just by downloading freebies.
  • @elwoodicious-thanks for mentioning the Johnny Dowd website; i'll be ordering "Wake Up The Snakes" and Drunkard's Masterpiece" myself.
    when available, i will always order the music from artist's website
  • edited December 2010
    “There was a window in the 120 years of the record business where performers made loads and loads of money out of records,” Jagger says. “But it was a very small window — say, 15 years between 1975 and 1990.”
    Interview with Mick Jagger
  • I would revise Mr. Jagger's comments from "performers" to "major acts". The average performer never has made much from records. It's more like they become the record companies' chattel, which brings me to my second point: "A parasite that threatens to deprive a generation of talented young people of their chance to make a career in music" far better describes BPI than it does illegal downloaders.
  • edited December 2010
    Here's the final proof that the entire industry is corrupt and stupid: "Hadopi, the French bureaucracy in charge of sending out "you're an infringer" notices and then kicking people off the internet under that country's three strikes plan" is being sent 50,000 notices per day (PER DAY) by the labels. Quick math on that shows that the entire nation of France will be off the Internet in a little over than 9 years time (three notices gets the boot).

Can you take anything that they say and do seriously at all anymore? In the least? I certainly cannot. Asinine.
  • For major labels, 9 years is forever - they don't think in the long term, they think exclusively in the right-here and right-now. if they could figure out a way to get the entire nation of France off the internet in 9 days or even 9 minutes, they'd be all over that like a cheap suit.

If I were them I'd focus on Brazil - some of the most extensive illegal music "sharing" blogs out there are based in Brazil, where hearts were entertaining June (as opposed to some other month) and we stood beneath an amber moon and softly murmured "someday soon."
  • Having started this discussion going, I'm sorry I had to leave part way through (a good reason though - my second grandaugter was born yesterday) My main intention was to highlight the problems that some new artists have without the lost income from illegal downloads. I've seen a number of posts at the other place recently suggesting going to some of the Eastern Europe sites as an alternative to emusic, especially as prices are cheaper, which totally deprives the artists (and labels too for that matter) of any income. Alongside this I was amazed at the high average price of downloads in the UK, and, I suspect elsewhere in the EU as well. There does need to be a debate within the music industry about cost levels. Is the rush for immediate profit actually going to lead to greater problems in the longer term?
  • I wonder how many of those people actually use the Russian sites, as opposed to throwing it out there hoping to negotiate lower prices at eMu. I'm a stick in the mud -- brick & mortar, 7digital, Amazon, eMu, Amie St (RIP), and freebies from Guvera and other places mentioned in newsletters (Think Indie, for example). Those Russian sites scare me. :-)
  • my second grandaugter was born yesterday
    Congratulations! And get thee sleep!
  • my second grandaugter was born yesterday
    w00t indeed!
    Is the rush for immediate profit actually going to lead to greater problems in the longer term?
    I believe it will. Obviously these current prices are working for some/plenty of people. But if the music industry is not happy with their current returns, they are screwed. I don't see anyway they can possibly expand their profits with the status quo.
  • Me too Mommio - I stick to legal! I'm certainly not adverse to downloading free music, if it is legally free - I've followed up some of amclark2's leads for example. Certainly the existing system is not sustainable. I'm quite happy, for example, to rent DVDs for films, but I do like my own copy of muisc, if it is just a download on itunes. Maybe the time will come soon when we'll all actually get our music from Spotify or similar and not worry about owning it. Having said I stick to legal I can still remember 20 or 30 years ago whne my brothers and I all made copies of LPs and then CDs onto cassettes, which is basically the same as illegal downloading. I used to rationalise it by saying that it was music I would not have bought anyway, so no-one was losing out. And if I really liked something I would go and buy it. Maybe today's younger generation are no different, it is just on a different scale. I do think what really anoys me most of all are the sites that sell muisc and then don't pass on anythinhg to the artists.

Thanks for the congratulations thom and Bad Thoughts. Fortunately she will be living about 20 minutes drive away - close enough but not too close!
  • edited December 2010
    My congratulations also.

I still wonder (going back a few comments) whether this conversation (not the one on this board specifically, the bigger online one about downloading) needs to get wider...certainly legal issues and business models/pricing (the mainstays of the conversation) and technology tweaks are what is going to drive most of it and probably have the biggest impacts on consumer behavior (and I have no great thoughts to add on those). But imagine if someone developed some compelling education materials (bet you could get a grant for this) that helped middle schoolers and high schoolers to (off the top of my head and in no particular order) 1. begin developing the ability to critique the rhetoric and misuse of statistics on various sides of this debate, but particularly the major labels; 2. begin to understand what is happening with the Russian sites, blogs etc. in the context of globalization, erosion of borders etc; 3. figure out how to interact with some actual artists and small labels and hear their views (this kind of thing can be powerful with kids that age); 4. begin to get a wider view of the kinds of music out there than they will get from the usual channels; 5. begin to think about how legal processes get abused by large corporations to protect profit at the expense of indiscriminate prosecution...wouldn't that be a pretty important part of music education and media literacy and social studies at this point in time? There would be some uptake in schools if it were well designed. It would not trump all the other, macro factors, but interventions like that can have significant effect locally (statistics about educational outcomes are another kind best treated skeptically). If it turned into just "let's do moral education to stop people downloading" then forget it - school is not that powerful.
    I have enough other projects, but it seems like the sort of thing someone should be looking at. Maybe someone is already and I have just not happened across it. I guess my basic point is that there might be points at which to do some good in addition to the kickstarter/bandcamp/etc interventions.
  • Good grief! I'd be happy if they understood sonata allegro or even politics beyond elections. You want to impart an understanding of global music/consumer citizenship!
  • I certainly agree with you Germanprof - as someone involved in training teachers at a University, now just two days a week after'retiring', there ought to be scope for this. When I think about it I'm actually amazed that the recording industry here and in the States hasn't already tried it. I'm now about to turn off the computer to visit Alana, parents and sister and probably won't be back here until Monday. It'll be interesting to see where the discussion has reached.
  • Good grief! I'd be happy if they understood sonata allegro or even politics beyond elections. You want to impart an understanding of global music/consumer citizenship!

I am not sure what the emoticon for a wan, world-weary smile is. Like Greg I train/educate teachers. On the one hand I resonate with your comment - often it seems so little is achieved for such great investment in formal schooling. Too much of it is narrow in scope and ineffective. But I also get to see the bright spots, the places where amazing learning happens because someone cared and got creative, and the huge capacity kids have for re-orienting their worlds and making connections and seeing new solutions if school does not drill it out of them. Just dreaming that this conversation could connect with the latter scenario...
  • But I also get to see the bright spots, the places where amazing learning happens because someone cared and got creative
    Please forgive my weariness. I find more basic propositions, like culture is not politically neutral, generate huge resistance. Looking over what you propose, I see many things that would be established before getting to the heart of the course. Your students would have to be quite eager. Beyond some tutoring, though, I haven't any experience educating anyone younger than 18, so perhaps my reaction is exaggerated. Of course, you're right that generous money is somewhere out there for this sort of thing.
  • edited December 2010
    Oh, forgiven! Yeah, the resistance is certainly there, and weariness often warranted. And I do think if this were attempted at a system-wide level it would degenerate into 'tell the kinds to stop downloading'. But a well designed resource can enable those teachers/schools who are alive to do something fresh. I've found over the years that with this kind of thing you get both reactions from teachers - resistance/apathy from some, but from others "oh my, when can I start doing this with my class?" - and similarly from students, and that assuming that the reaction will be negative can be an invalid reason for not trying and a bad justification for the way things are. And I think rather than a lengthy preamble establishing theories of global culture, you could get a long way more inductively by letting students explore scenarios, do research, and figure out the consequences of their findings...but if I'm not careful I'll end up way off topic here. (This was the thread for discussing teaching strategies wasn't it? :-) )