Test

edited December 2010 in General
i was hoping to directly embed youtube clips in a thread (not link to them, but actually embed them in the thread so they can be seen and played without being steered first to youtube).

i'm using this thread to see whether it works. maybe the thread will be useful as a general testing-ground.

so . . . the test.

Comments

• All I see is a non-clickable link. using Opera.
  • edited December 2010
    Ah, see the link now. It took me to youtube. And it's gone again. Are you still editing?
  • yeah . . . frustrating.
  • Thanks for trying.
  • edited December 2010
    What html have you tried?
  • edited December 2010
    i didn't alter anything; just cut-and-paste the url.

does anyone know how to embed youtube clips inside a thread here? on another forum (ilx) you can just cut-and-paste the youtube url, and the clip directly appears in the thread. any suggestions are, of course, greatly appreciated.
  • I tried to do it several months ago and didn't get anywhere with it

I will be interested to know what you learn.
  • edited December 2010
    Is this any help? (I am beyond my expertise here and not sure if you are messing with the board code or just seeing if it works in existing parameters) Seems like other boards are using a tag that has to be in the BB code.
    http://zen-ar218.blogspot.com/2008/12/how-to-insert-youtube-video-clip-in.html

edit:
    or better,
    http://www.blueglass.com/blog/youtube-embed-code-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know/#bbcode
  • edited December 2010
    Nope

doesn't seem to work with the link or the embed code
  • I am a Moderator on another forum using vBulletin. The Administrator has to do a bit of "programming" to allow some special html. Perhaps the same is true for Vanilla.

I found this old discussion in the Vanilla forums. This was just my first search, but perhaps xtrev or one of the experienced people here could find more. Will look a little more when I have time -- if you haven't found a solution by then.
  • Well, personally I HATE seeing youtube vids embedded in forum posts*, but if enough of you want to do it I'll have a bash over the xmas hols.
    You lot use the place more than me after all :-)

*quite apart from my personal indifference to/dislike of videos, I've always found it slows down page load times MASSIVELY.
  • Hi, xtrev! I don't like embedded videos, lots of images or sigs because of the slow down, BUT I don't know many places where they aren't allowed. I have just learned to live with it. I do turn off sigs and images when the user controls allow.
  • Agreed, embeds definitely slow the site when loading. Embeds would be interesting for a day then we would be left with reduced functionality for all eternity.

Vote no on embeds

I'm jacked UP jazz and I approved this message
  • JUJ, are you already campaigning for 2012?
  • I'd be inclined to vote no also, for what a newbie vote is worth. We can already post links and all browsers have ways of getting them to open in a new tab. I really like the current aesthetic of clean but lots of cover art. Either that or have certain threads for videos?
  • mommio

I see that you are doing a little regulating in the pissin and moanin thread over at Mordac ;+)
  • Well, wasn't he pissin and moanin, too? Pissin and moanin about all the pissin and moanin. I just couldn't resist.
  • I would rather not have embeds.
  • I concur with limiting embeds to just images (even the flash clock to the left gives my mac fits over time).
  • no to vids. if for no other reason than xtrev trying to balance eggnog + coding gives me the willies.
  • but, HEY! ain't it time we ran a thread to impose an avatar on music lover!!!
  • edited December 2010
    It would be a nice feature, but I'll live happily ever after without.

- But it would be nice with some kind of device to play m3u clips. I rarely click on m3u links because it cleans out my winamp playlist.
    but, HEY! ain't it time we ran a thread to impose an avatar on music lover!!!
    - Heh, go ahead, "Knock yourself out".
  • Heh, while I'm not necessarily a fan of all the forum bells and whistles that bog down other sites, general use of avatars just makes conversations a lot easier to follow. At least for me.

I'm also in favor of having our post count displayed. But that's mostly because it would drive jUj crazy.
  • Listing post counts would drive me crazy too, but for the opposite reason of jUj.

Craig
  • i think we should have a counter for every time we get stuck in a facebook moment.
    off to the shinglehut to review tile selections for my bathroom backsplash
  • Taunt me will you

and during the holiday season no less you heartless grinches

My head is bloodied but unbowed

I will rule this board
  • The responsibilities of those who rule are too heavy for me. As far as I am concerned, It's all yours, JUJ.
  • Perhaps we will let you rule one of the subsections. I shall call a meeting of the 1k club to decide your fate...