Has anybody else noticed the 70 cent Fela Kuti 'albums'?

edited January 2011 in General
So last night I was taking the last of my 'don't cancel' credits from eMu. I was literally moments away from terminating my membership. I had a dollar-something left and was looking for something to download with my remaining credits and thought I would have a look at Fela Kuti since I hadn't looked at his stuff since the change over. Long story short, there are a few of his one track albums (in the 25 minute range) selling for 70 cents. I know his stuff has been repackaged, remastered and resold many times over. But at 70 cents per 25 minute track I decided it was worth sticking around for one more month.

Just thought I'd let other folks know.

Oh and Happy New Year, everyone.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Most of those were on AmieStreet with the same strange (yet affordable) pricing scheme. I think Fela is the only artist I have seen that has a set price for an album which is outside of the normal pricing (49, 79 cents, etc.)

/edit: And yes, you should buy them all.
  • edited January 2011
    Any specific ones particularly good ones to try for someone who does not really know his music much? (30 second samples don't seem that useful here)
  • I'm particularly fond of Gentleman, No Agreement, and Suffering and Shmiling.
  • If you're new to Fela, I would recommend the Best of the Black President compilation: 13 tracks & 230 minutes of music for $6.49 on eMu.
  • Figures, out of the 3 you recommend I already own the only one that's 70 cents (Suffering and Shmiling). The other 2 or $6.49. Yeah, it definitely seems to be the single track ones that are cheap.
  • If all the singles are 70¢ then I'd grab them all. But that's just me. ;-)
  • edited January 2011
    Thanks, will take a look. one of those people I've heard of often but not found time for.
  • Thanks, will take a look. one of those people I've heard of often but not found time for.

Definitely find the time. When I finally dove in to the Fela catalog I couldn't believe it had taken me so long. It was like discovering music for the first time all over again.

Craig
  • edited January 2011
    Listen to Craig, he is obviously a man in the know and one who holds trustworthy opinions. I heartily endorse his post with only the barest hint of mischievousness. ;-)
  • And yet, he is a twinkie fan, with all that appertains to it.
  • I will listen and obey.
  • Doofy - You mean like being awesome?

elwood - Do you ever not have a hint of mischievousness?

Craig
  • Craig: why can't your Twins beat the Yankees in the playoffs?
  • It's "Minnesota Nice". The Twins know how hard New Yorkers take it when the Yankees lose, and don't want to be the cause of that pain.

Texans are bastards though who don't care about the feelings of others.

Craig
  • When the Red Sox finally beat the Yankees in '04, I thought, this is it: I can die happy now. The World Series was anti-climactic.
  • edited January 2011
    Well I tried! All I can get over here is a handful of Fela Kuti tracks on compilations. On one, because the only Fela Kuti track was 12 minutes long, I'd have to buy the whole album for nearly £7 - around $10! Back to Amazon again to get more....