the worn out factor

Comments

• Duran Duran. I love them, I do. I see them almost every time they tour. But I never cue up their biggest hits like "Rio" or "Hungry Like the Wolf" or "Save a Prayer."

Considering how much I listened to them in my youth, I'm surprised I have nothing from The Cure in my CD or digital library.
  • Steve Miller is a perfect example of a purveyor of music for *now*. He made a lot of singles that were good to hear on a summer's jukebox for a season, and could then disappear. For me, a lot of music works that way: I put the Beatles, the Beach Boys, or the Cars into that category, and a lot of Motown (sorry JUJ) too. Sometimes it's nice to hear it come up again, but I don't need it in my collection.

Classical music manages to stay fresh by making new versions of old standards. I can't listen to Menuhin any more, although I grew up with his versions of Bach's violin concertos in my ears. Fresh readings make a difference. Perhaps someone should re-record Sergeant Pepper?
  • edited August 2009
    Someone did. Easy Star All-Star's Easy Star's Lonely Hearts Dub Band. I downloaded it in April during a whimsical mood. Surprise! It is fun, and I like it! It's good for those times when I just want something different, not serious, that doesn't require much attention.
  • While I disagree with the somewhat harsh notion that more than a few listens in a year is bad, I think the good doctor does have a point about exercising some self-restraint. Cut Copy's In Ghost Colors was playing nonstop for a couple months in my car. That album was just so awesome. Then one day it sounded stale. Just like that. Tears nearly filled my eyes as the thought of killing an album so young stung me.

Fortunately a few months of rehabilitating revived that ol' feeling. But it happens from time to time over the past few years. I can't really think of anything that I've ever worn out completely. 90s alt. rock is starting to sound good to me again. 80s new wave will always revive itself to me. Classic rock once again gets blasted. Time heals all wounds.
  • I wore myself out on Beirut's "Gulag Orkestar". I was so smitten with the sound and depth of it that I literally played it non-stop for about 2 weeks. Now I can barely tolerate listening to a single track, even though I still appreciate it musically.

A year or so ago I was at a conference in Vegas at the hotel where the musical "Jersey Boys" was being presented. The music in the elevators, lobby, telephone system, and TV information channels was all from the show. After 3 days of this I was absolutely sick of it, which resulted in complete ennui when I saw the show on my last night there. Had I not been bombarded with "Sherry Baby" and "Walk Like A Man" for 3 days I might have enjoyed it.
  • I don't know that I've ever worn out a CD to the point that I absolutely can't listen to it anymore, but I don't need to hear 90s rock all that often at the moment. I played the crap out of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, et al. for a number of years, and while I still enjoy it when I do put it on it rarely calls out to me as needing to be played.

I'm sure that will come around though eventually. Like Thom said, time heals all wounds.

Craig
  • Speaking as a white man from the 'burbs white people from the 'burbs have absolutely destroyed Bob Marley's Legend for me because of it being incessantly played at every barbecue. That said my absolute hatred of the album pushed me to discover more about Jamaican music just so at these these backyard soir
  • Too funny, I just got 'Legend' from my library a week or so ago. First time I'd listened to it all the way through...thought it ws a good album! This week I have 'Best of Marley & the Wailers'.
  • edited August 2009
    I wore myself out on Beirut's "Gulag Orkestar". I was so smitten with the sound and depth of it that I literally played it non-stop for about 2 weeks. Now I can barely tolerate listening to a single track, even though I still appreciate it musically.

Beirut is an artist I admire, but don't love. Just not made for my ears.
  • I can't think of any album I have liked that I no longer want to hear.
  • my wife is a radio listener...usually npr, but she has what i call an "i love the 80's" bent when it comes to recorded music - but she also likes to hear what's current.

the devil in that is the dreaded rotation. according to her, "use somebody" by kings of leon is on constantly. she now turns the radio station* when it comes on. it's a decent song...just glitzed up too much by some mysterious hand of production.

* no more dial...touch screen.
  • @elwoodicious - wait a few years. they'll want to have you join them for this really wild time > the jimmy buffet concert at the amplicomplex.
  • >Easy Star All-Star's Easy Star's Lonely Hearts Dub Band.

I really like their first album, Dub Side of the Moon. Sgt Pepper's was not as fun for me, and I did not touch the RadioDread disc (mostly since I do not know Radiohead from a hole in the ground.)

I guess I have worn out several copies of DSotM and Sgt Pepper's, in various formats (8-track was first for me in both cases), so it amuses me to try and wear out the digi-versions on my iPod in a re-mixed version.
  • edited August 2009
    I'd be OK with never having to listen to The Beatles or Led Zeppelin again.
  • @brittleblood Kill me if you ever find me enjoying anything Jimmy Buffet related. Hell, I refuse to eat a cheeseburger near the equator because of that damn song.
  • Most Jimmy Buffet I can simply ignore...Cheeseburger in Paradise however....MAKE CRAIG MAD! CRAIG SMASH!

Craig
  • Poor baby, did you just step on a pop top and break your flip flop?
  • k - i just permanently tied y'er string bikini bottoms to this message board...so you're either:

a) a damsel in distress with the 12:05 bearing down on you, (evil laughter) or

b) walking around with the lot of us sniffing y'er backside.
  • "I really like their first album, Dub Side of the Moon. Sgt Pepper's was not as fun for me, and I did not touch the RadioDread disc (mostly since I do not know Radiohead from a hole in the ground.)"

To me Dub Side worked because Dark Side has many reggae friendly elements. Lots of very slowly paced songs with that rely more on mood, rhythm and atmosphere. If anything they stripped out a lot of the baggage. Luther Wright and the Wrongs were similarly successful when they covered The Wall as a country album. The Radiohead and Beatles covers didn't have that looseness. Perhaps the originals are just too melodic never leaving enough space the reggae riddum to permeate the way it should.

I will say Rebuild the Wall by Luther Wright and the Wrongs was the first I was able to listen to that album in any form n years.
  • Most Jimmy Buffet I can simply ignore...Cheeseburger in Paradise however....MAKE CRAIG MAD! CRAIG SMASH!

I hate Jimmy Buffet. Here's one of the funniest and best comments I read about him, from a poster on another message board:
    Just basically take a young American guy who enjoys a good party and then grow him up into a middle-aged, middle-class American adult male, and then imagine the stuff he might like: it'd be nice to have your own boat, tell your jerk of a boss to shove it, sail down somewhere it's warm and just take 'er easy, get some cocktails on the beach, havin' some drinks, charmin' some ladies, you know, exotic island ladies or real classy types, it's all good, plus when you're drinking on the beach you never have to dress any better than you would if you were mowing your lawn, then maybe smoke a little weed now and then, up in your house there where it's warm, your own little piece of property, cuz you're an independent type, they can call you a bad-boy if they wanna, but you're just lookin' to take 'er easy and have some good times, hang out there with the characters down at the bar, hear some stories, tell some tales, sometimes have some buddies over and break out the old six-string and lay down a couple nice little tunes about how funny life can be and how nice it is to just take 'er easy, down somewhere it's warm.

I also hate The Eagles, BTW. Same basic reasons.
  • @Daniel, Esq. That quote is spot on and likely why he crawls under my skin and lays eggs that erupt into thousand biting flies every time I hear his music. That said, Coconut "Son-of-a-son-of-a-bitch!" Pete was the only redeeming part of Club Dread.
  • permanently tied y'er string bikini bottoms to this message board
    That made me laugh. As if. As if I own a bikini. Har.

@Daniel, I really don't care about Jimmy Buffet, funny quote. I'll take any of his songs any day over that horrid one about "I like Pina Coladas". It makes me retch.
    Just queued up the Eagles' greatest hits. Some really good high school memoires from their songs, and good high school memories are few and far between.
  • >Luther Wright and the Wrongs

I thought that was a "fun" version, but I do not think I listened to it more than once or twice. EasyAll-Stars were respectful and (I thought) built on the firm foundation of the original, Luther was a parody, or maybe a novelty recording. I can also put the DSotM on and relax, Luther Wright can get pretty bouncy.....
  • TimMason, that was just too much.
  • edited August 2009
    Never really dug the Eagles either - a couple of OK songs but I don't own any.

I'm starting my next comment in Fight Club.
  • "I thought that was a "fun" version, but I do not think I listened to it more than once or twice. EasyAll-Stars were respectful and (I thought) built on the firm foundation of the original, Luther was a parody, or maybe a novelty recording. I can also put the DSotM on and relax, Luther Wright can get pretty bouncy...."

All I can say is the first time I saw them perform Rebuild the Wall was one of the most energetic and memorable concerts I've been too. Rebuild the Wall wasn't a parody although they did take a more light hearted approach to the original. It's not like Pink Floyd shied away from animals sounds when they felt they were necessary.
  • I stumbled across this old thread somehow and enjoyed reading it, so I thought I'd bump it. I don't really feel like adding anything to it though.
  • Nice, completely agree with Buffet and Eagles as two bans I have no need of listening to. It also makes me notice some people that haven' t been on here in some time like Daniel, Esq.
  • The holy high-skool triumvirate: Doors, Zep, Floyd. Sort of can't bear 'em anymore. And meanwhile I listen to a fair bit of funk/disco these days - my 1979 self would be horrified.

Kind of have to add Bruce too, starting with 'Born to Run'...OD'd in college. I actually owe him a fair shake on more recent stuff.