Too Much Fela Kuti on Amie

edited October 2009 in General
There's almost a page full of Fela Kuti EP's that dropped on Amie St. this afternoon - does anybody have any recommendations as to which are more essential/happening?

Comments

• Out of the stuff that's available so far I only previously had "Coffin for Head of State" which was rec'd in an emu dozen, and which is very good. My favorite so far out of my limited exposure is Zombie, but that hasn't shown up.

I used this as a guide once I got past the point of randomly grabbing. Shuffering and Shmiling get's 5*'s and a check mark and is only $.39!
  • There is no such thing as too much Fela.

That said grab Zombie if it shows up. Suffering and Shmiling is pretty good. Army Arrangement definitely. I listened to Afrodisiac today, and it smokes - more so than some of his other stuff that more os less just grooves (not a bad thing).

you might think about springing for the Black President Comp. It has a lot of his best tracks from the other short albums dropping. It looks more expensive, but it's 13 tracks of the cream and probably cost around the same per track as the shorter albums.

I sure hope the 11 zero track albums they pulled get reposted with tracks.
  • I went ahead and downloaded all of the Fela tracks that were offered on Amie Street yesterday. I already had some things, but these were all new to me and the pricing is incredible. I got the Fela bug last year when I saw the FELA! show in NYC. It's playing again and well worth it if anyone has the inclination/means to get to it: http://www.felaonbroadway.com/
  • Thanks, all. I DL'd most of the higher rated ones as a start.
  • edited November 2009
    The agree with the recs made above, plus I'd suggest that 'He Miss Road' and 'Underground System are well worth getting too.
    I listened to the Fela Ransome-Kuti and Africa 70 with Ginger Baker Live for the first time in ages recently, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, can't believe that it had been so long since I'd heard it. It's well worth the 4 credits from that place over there, 3 are over 10 mins long so it's subjected to another reason why I left emu, their album only restrictions.
  • It's 12 credits in the US. Rats, I love Ginger Baker!
  • It's definitely only 4 credits here in the UK, just checked again. Another instance of emu's bizarre approach to this world wide web thingy!
  • edited November 2009
    Looks like another load of Fela Kuti landed this morning. Possibly this is the zero-albums mentioned above, or re-listing those albums. I still haven't finished the cornucopia of Fela I dloded last week.
  • I just noticed the second load. I bought some of these new ones. I'm digging the ones I dl'd from the first batch.
  • Live with Ginger Baker finally appeared. I need an other 50% off sale.....! I have been cashing recs all morning.
  • "I need another 50% off sale.....! I have been cashing recs all morning."

Me too. Good thing these Fela releases are so cheap. I got several more this morning but my credit is down to $0.93, and I don't want to buy more until there's another sale (I'd like 50% but I'll take 30% at this point). I have a few more RECs I could cash in but they're relatively recent so I'm trying to hold out.
  • That's why I've been sticking $25 in my account whenever they have the 50% off credit sales whether I need the credit at that time or not - it only takes a big label drop and your hefty sum is all used up.
  • I now am in desperate need of a sale as well. Sigh.

Craig
  • edited November 2009
    Lucked out today and snagged that one with Ginger Baker for 1 and change - this one's got the 16 minute Baker/Tony Allen solo track the eMu version doesn't. iTunes or Amazon want $9.99.

Edit- it's still $1.80 thurs AM.