the worn out factor

13»

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Yes an ineresting thread amc, before my time here. Yes, where have some of those people gone. I particularly miss contributions from Elwoodicious and Daniel Esq. I'll never tire of Bruce, but htere are certainly artists where that does apply to me - Elton John is one, but interstingly, I've come back, this weekend, to some of his earlier stuff, which I am currently enjoying again.
  • I particularly miss contributions from Elwoodicious and Daniel Esq.

Thanks, Greg.
  • edited May 2013
    My goodness ! - SO nice to see your name again.

- Dare we say welcome back ?
  • Thanks. I really appreciate it. That made me smile.

Not sure. Haven't thought that far ahead. I haven't really thought all that much about music for the past year, actually.
  • Good to see you here. Wondered how you were.
  • Hope things are well with you Daniel.

Craig
  • Nice to see you D'esq! Hope everything's well.
  • Well, as another one who tried to stay away from music for awhile, I'm very happy to see your nick show up again.
    Now the last I heard 68 & kin were trying to hook-up with Brighternow on a european adventure.
  • I particularly miss contributions from Elwoodicious and Daniel Esq.

Thanks, Greg.

I concur, and what are the odds Daniel and I float in on the same day?
  • Hey, good to see you too Elwoodicious!
  • Me and Elwoodicious have been touring the country as the GEICO banjo-guys.

20130227__20130301_C1_AE15TVGEICO~p1.jpg
  • Correction: Mando...!
  • edited May 2013
    The Who never gets old, as a general rule. I'd forgotten this thread. I'm done with the Beatles too, for a while, l OD'd on them, I guess.
    Steely Dan "Can't Buy A Thrill" is always welcome, too. As is 10 Years After.
  • edited May 2013
    The Doors aren't worn out for me. Any of you done with them?
    Roadhouse Blues never fails to get me riled up.
  • apologies if this is a repeat
    More 10 Years After

Life is going arond in circles
    Wonder will it ever end
    If I die, baby, will you miss me
    Or just find another friend
    Does it matter what I do
    Live life right or bear a grudge?
    Does it matter what I do
    Is there anyone to judge?

I have been to many places
    I have journeyed through the mind
    Though I’ve found some different faces
    Another answer I can’t find
    Does it matter what I do
    Is there anyone to say?
    Does it matter what I do
    Is there any other way?

I have got what I once dreamed of
    As a child, so long ago
    But my life just goes in circles
    ’cause one answer I don’t know
    Does it matter what I do
    Who will hear me if I cry?
    Does it matter what I do
    Does it matter if I die?
  • edited May 2013
    That song is really inspirational to me. I can make a difference I n many lives that I touch.
    Is there anyone to judge?
    Yeah, me. I'm my worst judge.
  • 6988835549_d6042c3001_z.jpg

Oh, you said factor.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I've been thinking about this on and off for a while, and for me it's pretty hard to find things that are worn out. I go through phases, sure, but after a break I can usually pick something back up and appreciate it again. I was gonna say '80s hair metal; it's been a long long while since I listened to Warrant, but then again, I was in a store where they were playing a classic rock station, and they had a "block" show, you know, where they play four songs by the same artist in a row? And they played some Def Leppard, and it sounded so good that I'm not really even willing to write off hair-bands.

But Katrina answered the question for me by posting "Head Like a Hole" on the dirty secret thread; what's really worn out for me is early '90s industrial. Especially that album and Ministry's Psalm 69, but really pretty much anything from NIN, and any late period Ministry, and any of the sort of hanger on bands around the edges like My Life With the Thrill Kill Cult. Pretty much the stuff that I lived for in my first year or two of college. I can do early Ministry or sometimes Skinny Puppy, but that other stuff is just, well, worn out. I've been able to go back to Nirvanna or Smashing Pumpkins, but I've tried NIN and just, no luck.

Oh and Katrina; I agree the Who never gets old; I think it's because they die first.
  • The early music of the Who never gets old, and half its members had the integrity to die before they got old, but the remainders go on. And on. And on. They should hang it up. Same goes for those geezers, one has even been knighted for heaven's sake, who used to sing 19th Nervous Breakdown and Midnight Rambler.

Beatles? I don't search them out, but I still enjoy the occasional track I happen across. Same thing for Bruce, I guess. The one popular artist I can't imagine ever getting tired of is Dylan. Maybe there's a multiplication of sorts going on: Replayability (spell check is of course telling me it's not a word, but I don't care) of an artist's music = overall quality x depth of catalog.

I couldn't get tired of Warrant or Ministry or NIN because to my knowledge I've never heard one song by any of them. But I'll check them out.