(Temporary?) new domain name

2»

Comments

• ^^ yeah . . .
    my browser has gone from:
    We're having trouble . . . .
    to:

This means that all uploaded images on .org has vanished.
    This affects many hundreds of posts that doesn't make sense anymore.
    - So @eythian please ! . . . is there any hope ?

Hey, @Brighternow can you do me a bit of a favour and gather up a handful of links to threads where this is an issue? I might have a chance to do this tomorrow and I can use them as test cases. Cheers!
  • Awesome, thanks. I'm going to start on this now, it might take an hour or two of me poking at things so expect weirdness. The first thing I'm going to do is back up the database, so if you post something and noticed that it vanished it's probably because I messed something up and decided the easiest way out was to just restore the whole thing.
  • OK, this seemed to be easier and safer than I expected. That's always a surprise. Lemme know if you see more weirdness.

Notes for self in case I need to revert it:

MariaDB [emusers]> update GDN_Comment set Body=replace(Body, 'emusers.org/forum', 'emusers.net/forum');
    Query OK, 3140 rows affected (1.94 sec)
    Rows matched: 94856  Changed: 3140  Warnings: 0

MariaDB [emusers]> update GDN_Discussion set Body=replace(Body, 'emusers.org/forum', 'emusers.net/forum');
    Query OK, 43 rows affected (0.17 sec)
    Rows matched: 1783  Changed: 43  Warnings: 0

• I've done a few other tweaks, emails will come from the new domain (though there's nothing to receive if someone tries to reply, I'll fix that some time, it's not urgent), and the splash page image has been skilfully updated. Let me know if something else seems wrong or is referring to the old domain.
  • edited February 2020
    Billedresultat for wow
    You actually did it ! ! ! . . . I'm impressed beyond description.
    Thank you very much for a perfect job.

Just curious, what is a splash page image ?

ETA: Oh! . . . maybe it has got to do with this:

• Tip 'o the proverbial hat!   Please let the denizens know if any $ are needed to support ongoing operations.... I'm sure many will happily chip in to keep this music oasis a going concern.
  • > @Brighternow said:
    > (Image)
    > You actually did it ! ! ! . . . I'm impressed beyond description.Thank you very much for a perfect job.
    > Just curious, what is a splash page image ?
    > ETA: Oh! . . . maybe it has got to do with this:

The splash page is when you go to https://www.emusers.net without the /forum part. You probably haven't seen that in years :)
  • eythian said:
    The splash page is when you go to https://www.emusers.net without the /forum part. You probably haven't seen that in years :)
    Well done!
  • I like the new splash page. The aesthetic fits us.
  • edited February 2020
    I like the new splash page. The aesthetic fits us.
    Yes, very nice.

• FYI I still haven't heard from @xtrev, and soon will need to make some changes to ensure that the certificate remains valid, so there might be weirdness should it come back. Also soon I'll need to do a server migration of emusers, at least that's easier when the domain is also under my control.
  • How long before the original domain lapses and we can buy it again for $15?
  • Looks like the better part of a year. It seems the registrar snaps it up so they can auction it off or get it renewed or whatever. It's not impossible that they release it early, but I'd be surprised.
  • Might it be possible to get a plugin that enables emailing all users of the forum? (Or is that possible already but I cannot figure out how to do it? There appear to be email settings at dashboard/settings/email but I can't see how to actually send one.)

I manually scraped the email addresses of everyone who had visited in the previous two months, and don't have much appetite for doing that for the other couple of hundred people unless it's necessary. I'd like to send out both a notice about the change of domain and a notice that when I get time I am going to clean out the users who have not visited in over, say, two years (which will make any potential future episodes easier).
  • I just wanted to say thank you for all your efforts to keep this board alive. I visit emusers daily, and it has led me to discover so many great musicians I would never have encountered otherwise.
  • I can't agree more with burntwoodfactors!  Many thanks.
  • @Germanprof sorry for the slow answer, been a bit lazy/busy. A plugin may be possible, I'll take a look soon.
  • I accidentally went to emusers.org yesterday - and found that it works (still does). So, did you manage to get the name back?
  • Huh. So it does. @eythian?
  • It just redirects to .net automatically.
  • Not my doing. It might be @xtrev did something. Last registry update was the 5th of March, but I can't tell if that's related. Don't rely on it though, I'm going to have to move server soon which'll involve updating the DNS anyway. If it wasn't @xtrev or he's still incommunicado then the .org domain will break then anyway.
  • I just realized that musicisgood.org has disappeared as well. Not sure if it was at the same time. Don’t even know who was handling the domain. Does anyone have a backup of that or is it gone? (Doesn’t matter too hugely in the larger scheme of things).
  • Thanks, good thinking. (Lol, we were really on top of facebook, weren't we?)
  • Don’t even know who was handling the domain

It might have been Craig??
  • I see that emusers.org seems to be down again. I dunno what's going on there. May have been some strange registrar thing.
  • OK, I'm calling it. It now looks as though the old domain emusers.org has been snapped up by one of those scammy sites that use it to advertise gambling or bitcoin or something, so I don't think it'll be coming back for a while and the current expiry is 2021-02-16, so we'll be waiting a little while.
    So I suggest you all update your business cards and those things you use to remember where you're up to when reading a book with emusers.net.
    Tell your friends :)