my 2010 list

edited December 2010 in whirling dervish
The orders here are really rough, and I may have forgotten some things, and I may even take some things out, but here goes:

janelle_monae_archandroid.jpg?1274175629

a062d28f9b3a.jpg

300x300.jpg

roots-how-i-got-over.jpg
This was my first Roots album, and hearing it made me wonder "Why is this my first Roots album?"

51BMEHCtkDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

beach-house-teen-dream-300x300.jpg?1264073596

my_beautiful_dark_twisted_fantasy_kanye_west_526x5261-300x300.png

sufjan_the_age_of_adz.jpg?1286899327

Le_Noise_Neil_Young.jpeg

of-montreal-false-priest-300x300.jpg

treats_review_main.jpg?1273542239
I really didn't like this at first, but given some time and space it turns out I really did.

bastard.jpg
I haven't listened to this enough times to be really sure of it, but I love what these kids are doing, and this is the strongest of the ones I've heard, so I'm putting it in. I also think the reviewers I've read who seem shocked by some of the violence on here don't really remember what it's like to be 17.

lisbon.jpg

6a00d8341c630a53ef013485399a45970c-300wi

arcade%20fire%20the%20suburbs.jpg?1280760687
If you asked me when this first came out, I'd have said not really, but now I gave it some space and it's growing on me.

Also rans:

These are not quite there for me yet, but with time and more listens, they may make it:

61iq8R-%2BHpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

no_age_everything_in_between_300x300.jpg?1285337488

Comments

• I really need to get that Big Boi. On the Christmas list, so hopefully someone in the family comes through.

Told you the blogs got Sleigh Bells right. :)

As for Tyler, the Creator, I think it goes beyond forgetting what it was like to be 17. It's simply history repeating itself as folks are attacking the same things they were attacking when N.W.A. et al. first came on the scene. That said, I don't think this crop is any where near as talented as the earlier one, but they still have time to grow.

Craig
  • Interesting because you've got a number of albums that just missed the cut for me, but I wondered if it was because I just didn't listen to them enough (Of Montreal, Janelle Monae, etc.).

What's up with the Mary Havlorson Quarter? Never heard of that one.
  • edited December 2010
    Actually, I think the blogs got Sleigh Bells exactly wrong - everybody said "this is fun but it will probably wear off pretty quickly" - I found it to be not so good at first, but on more listens there seemed to be more there than I initially thought.

And that's a good point about Tyler, although really that whole game keeps going back and back, I guess to about when the first churchlady heard somebody playing blues.

church_lady.jpg
  • True enough. My one caveat to the church lady comment is that the general public eventually accepted the blues, but I don't see "gangsta rap" ever reaching the same level of acceptance. There are simply too many people my age and younger who still dismiss it out of hand or attack it as misogynistic/racist/etc. without taking the time to understand it.

Of course the reason the blues became generally acceptable is because generally acceptable white boys started playing it.

Craig
  • @Thom, Mary Halvorson's a really incredible jazz guitarist; that album's great at riding that edge of jazz between free and tuneful, which I love. There's a bunch of Mary Halvorson stuff free at FMA that I've been meaning to check out, especially the trio stuff with Peter Evans and Weasel Walter, which was how I first heard of her.

@Craig, acceptable white boy M&M's got one of the number one selling albums this year, 50Cent moved from actual gangster to household name and Ice Cube does kid's movies - I think it's pretty well assimilated.
  • I have to disagree. I don't think society has assimilated 'gansta rap' so much as Eminem, 50 Cent, and Ice Cube changed themselves in order to be acceptable to society. I just don't think we'll ever hear "Cop Killer" or "Fuck Tha Police" in general society. I may of course be wrong, though.

Craig
  • [agree]Doesn't Ice-T play a cop on TV now?[/disagree]
  • Well, duh. The title of that song can mean more than one thing, and he wants to get in on that action.

Craig