reggae latin and audiobooks

are the three categories with sparse contributions. reminds me of a cronie whose sight has 5 categories: music, books, movies, beer and humor. as a few of you might guess (knowing said cronie) his humor category housed a single post while the others were overstocked.

can't believe reggae is such a laggard - what with it being the catch-all at the old hut for so many years. go figure.

Comments

• Ask and ye shall receive.

I don't have anything to add in latin or audiobooks though. I've never really gotten into much latin (only a matter of time, I'm sure), and the only time I listen to audiobooks is on the occasional long drive and then it's usually David Sedaris or Sarah Vowell.

Craig
  • Quite by coincidence I just posted this to the now listening thread right before I saw this thread:
    1.0.jpg

Argentinian band doing dancehall/reggae/ska. So it addresses two thirds of your categories :-). First track made me smile. Free to download (=descargar).
  • I'm off cor 11 days starting Xmas eve, so maybe I can add some stuff. I have a couple thousand Reggae albums (mainly late 60s - late 80s), so I'm sure I can steer you towards stuff you don't already have.
  • Here's a Latin list I made yonks ago. A good one from 2010 was the "Lost Trios of Casa Marina" - recorded pre-Revolution in Cuba by a couple of Holocaust survivors who had fled there and never released, until now.
  • - In the spirit of the season:

300x300.jpg
  • edited December 2010
    Too bad this Mr. Welles is on Album Pricing and not one download like back when I got War Of The Worlds. Or the Plan 9 From Outer Space soundtrack - who's going to pay $5.99 for that?

I have a bunch of Latin stuff but I'll need a few to assemble - have to check what kind of pricing they're going for these days too.
  • edited January 2011
    Well, I'm just going to do this a bit at a time because otherwise I'll never get it together. Part 1 will focus on Cuba as is frankly much of my interest, so here goes:
    A good place to start is this search of titles from the Vintage Music/The Orchard label, theme being Vintage Cuba - link. For that matter this label is a goldmine for many genres, I love the EP series because you can pick up four songs by quality artists and get a real feel for them without breaking the bank, unless you like it all. Celia Cruz has a few in there I'd recommend.
    A Sampler - Havana Lounge - ignore the cheesy cover, this is a quality broad comp of Cuban music at a decent price.
    Another good one is this from Beny More.
    Bebo Valdes is another well known.
    Another which eMu no longer has for some reason is at Amazon The Very Best of Machito and his Afro Cubans.
    Finally more modern recordings by a master, Cachao - I'd start with this one - Master Sessions Volume 1 , and even Volume 2. He was the bass master and in Latin music the good parts, and I don't mean in the orchestra, should all be following the bass. Hope this is helpful.
  • edited January 2011
    I have not listened to this yet, found it at 7digital, but it is at least currently Free - Tratore Basics - 30 Women From Brazil , a sampler comp.

There's also a free sampler on Amazon from Hacienda.
  • edited February 2011
    New live Bob Marley double disc, Live Forever, which I'm frankly surprised to see at Mordac for only $8.99 for a double, but me personally I decided to go for an extra $3 and get the CD at Amazon for $11.99.
    BTW, if anybody DL's this puppy at Mordac would you be kind enough to post the encoding method - since they say the new additions will be in LAME I'm just curious.

Hells bells, 7digital has it for $5, screw Mordac.