Classical Digest

edited December 2010 in Classical
Has Classical Digest has gone out of business? Clicking on their site (www.classicaldigest.com) gets you to a Domain Name Merchant and the statement 'This domain is expired, please renew it'. OK, it didn't have everything and I suspect wasn't up-to-date any more, but it was useful and I don't know anything like it (does anyone else?)

Comments

• That's a shame. It certainly wasn't as comprehensive as I'd have liked, but it was a very handy decision-making aid. So it's back to the Penguin and Gramophone Guides and a lot of plodding through searches on MusicWeb etc...

Or something I rediscovered yesterday - a long-lost "100 Essential CDs" booklet given away in BBC Music Magazine back in 1994 or 1995, back when Michael Torke was being described as a "young composer" and independent labels barely got a look in.
  • Thanks, Nereffid. Its demise will make your job a bit harder, I should think. I don't still have the BBC Music Mag 100 Essential CDs, unfortunately. In the old days they used to publish some useful 'specials' from time to time. One I still have, and pretty good it is too, is one called 'The String Quartet' published in summer 1996, with discussions and reviews of key works as well as essays by the likes of Richard Wigmore, Misha Donat, Paul Griffiths and even the late, great (?) Hans Keller, or Hans Killer as I think Private Eye used to call him..

To tell the truth, I've been getting a bit cheesed off with the Penguin Guide, as they seem to recycle a lot of old stuff and disfavour the independents. The last one I've got is 2008. Is it any better now?