Unpublicized 2010 Releases

edited December 2010 in General
I could put together a top ten list for the year, but it would not be very insightful - I also haven't listened enough to new releases to feel confident about my picks.

However, there are two releases from the year that I have thoroughly enjoyed that have flown under the radar. The first is an album by my son's friend who's currently in L.A. The album is called a Collection of Songs, and the band name is For the Kings. I think that it's only available on iTunes right now (I've told him to go to Bandcamp), so I'm unsure what'll happen with this url http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/a-collection-songs-for-kings/id385220391. They are probably more of an alt-country than the rock designation they've been given (I think Americana was their designation on the last site that they were on). There are some standout tracks - I never knew the kid was that good.

But don't take my word for it - here is a Dutch website's review: http://www.altcountryforum.nl/2010/09/04/for-the-kings-a-collection-of-songs-for-the-kings/. He's finishing up some gigs in L.A., and we've ecouraged him to go to Europe (he's gotten another good review from Norway or the Netherlands - he hasn't forwarded that one to me).

My other recommendation is Mountain Men - Spring Time Coming. Either this was recommended to me or I came upon it by accident, as the recommendation was really for Mountain Man (folkies from Vermont - sounds closer to what someone would tell me). I know nothing about Mountain Men that I haven't gleaned from the album They play the blues (and are either Americana or Alt-country, according to Emusic). The lead singer sounds a lot like Captain Beefheart on some songs (high praise from me) - especially "Anger Me". They sing a couple of songs in French - but they don't sound French (or French-Canadian) to me. Can't find anything out about them online - even the record label (France) doesn't have any info on them. I think that the whole album is great - and highly recommended.

300x300.jpg

Comments

• My other recommendation is Mountain Men - Spring Time Coming. Either this was recommended to me or I came upon it by accident, as the recommendation was really for Mountain Man (folkies from Vermont - sounds closer to what someone would tell me). I know nothing about Mountain Men that I haven't gleaned from the album They play the blues (and are either Americana or Alt-country, according to Emusic)
    They're from France.

Interesting album.