Review Revue

edited January 2011 in Diversions
Stumbled across this and thought people might find it intersting: KEXP Seattle's Review Revue - Current dj's at KEXP going through old vinyl and posting what was written on stickers by the dj's 20 some odd years ago.

@brighternow - The first one I stumbled across was this one for the Legendary Pink Dots.

today's is for Nirvana's sliver 7" from 1990:

Nirvana_sliver.jpg

Overall an interesting piece of nostalgia, especially for anyone coming of age in the late '80s to early '90s.

Comments

• Thanks for posting this! I love that the reviewer calls "Sliver" "catchy and poppy". Plus the use of the word "grungy" for "Dive" is very interesting. I thought the term grunge didn't really develop until "Smells Like Teen Spirit" broke. Am I mistaken on that?

Craig
  • I thought the term grunge didn't really develop until "Smells Like Teen Spirit" broke. Am I mistaken on that?
    I was already quite familiar with it before SLTS. Indeed, it seemed like music insiders were talking about the Seattle scene for several years, yet nothing seemed to come from it until SLTS. Living in L.A. may have given me a different impression of the musical universe in the late 1980s.
  • I certainly agree that insiders were talking about the scene much earlier. Just hadn't heard the term linked to it yet. I wasn't exactly engaged with it at the time. Would have been pretty tough for an 11-13 or so year old in Minnesota to get his hands on much Green River, Mother Love Bone, etc.

Now that I type Green River, I seem to recall the term initially being used for them. So please ignore me, I'm apparently not firing on all cylinders this morning.

Craig
  • Would have been pretty tough for an 11-13 or so year old in Minnesota to get his hands on much Green River, Mother Love Bone, etc.
    This is why I wish I grew up in the Internet age. If I had the access to the tools to listen and easily create and share music/art when I was younger I like to imagine that I would be more generative and less consumptive at my current age. Then again I was a royal fuck up as a teen. Oh well, back to my servers. ;-)