LAST WARNING!!!!!

edited February 2011 in General
Just got this today.

(The card they had expired around the time I was going to quit, so I let the account lapse instead actually closing it.)

What's this BS about being able to redownload my tracks?

Just a reminder that we are still unable to process payment for your Free Month of eMusic Lite subscription.

Please login to Your Account and update your address and payment information.

Hurry!

You will not be able to use your credits until you update your payment information. If we don't hear from you soon, your account will automatically close and you will lose access to redownload your previous downloads.

Did you know eMusic now accepts PayPal? Login today and update your payment information.

Sincerely,
Your Friends at eMusic

Comments

• I hate it when I don't have the necessary payment information to process something free. Seriously, how hard is it for people to give me their credit card information so I can not charge it?

Craig
  • I want to read this thread, but first I need credit card numbers from everyone involved.
  • Reminds me of why I had to call Customer Service to cancel my account while it was still on inactive status. In order to to cancel online, I would have to...activate my account!
  • Well, they need your credit card number so that they can know who you are, which is necessary because if they don't know who you are then they can't verify your credit card number.
  • i'm really busy hanging garlic around the doors and windows in light of the looming full moon, but if i had the time i'd come up with some really snarky phoney credit card number which - when entered into one of those really 1974 texas instrument calculators - reads out u r n asshat...

or other such snarkism.
  • Oh good lord, even garlic would not ward off the evil that would ensue if Mordac had my PayPal account details.
  • You mean your PayPal credit card number, or the bank account number associated with it, or just the e-mail address? You can hardly get upset about people knowing your e-mail address and/or the name associated with it, unless you're one of the lucky 0.002 percent of people whose e-mail address has yet to get into the hands of debt-relief and boner-pill spammers and you want to keep it that way for at least a few more hours...

Anyway, if I were starting up a new account with eMu today, I'd definitely use PayPal - I certainly don't trust eMu to keep credit card numbers secure, and it's easier to shut off the payments if you find out they're trying to hose you in some way.

I guess I don't trust PayPal to keep credit card numbers secure either, but at least that's one of their primary concerns, so you have to figure they're trying harder.
  • My PayPal account is tied to an honest-to-god bank account since I sell on eBay & receive funds. I've heard horror stories of PayPal freezing funds and generally being jackasses to deal with when something goes wrong. The way I understand it, it's easier to deal with credit card companies regarding fraudulent charges.
    Not that I'm stupid enough to give PayPal my real account that I pay utility & household bills with - it's a separate free checking acct that I only keep about $100 balance - but still.
  • I don't think Paypal can freeze your actual bank account, can they? AFAIK they can only freeze the money in your PayPal account. If they had the power to freeze bank accounts and actually used it, I don't think very many people would use PayPal...!

I'm not a huge PayPal supporter/shill or anything, but the horror stories in question have usually come from people who'd been using open proxies (i.e., Tor), and when they logged in to transfer some money, PayPal's servers would try to geolocate the proxy IP addresses and find that they were in Denmark or South Korea or Bahrain. So PayPal would immediately assume some black-hat hacker in one of those countries had compromised the account, and freeze it. Then the people whose accounts were frozen would scream bloody murder - but if anything, PayPal was erring on the side of being too cautious in those cases. Basically, if you don't use open proxies (and don't buy things online while traveling overseas), you're not likely to have that happen to you.

Still, having said that, you've got the right idea not giving them (or anyone else) your main bank account!
  • One thing that is good about paying with Paypal is that Paypal gives control of the subscription to the buyer rather than the seller - if you want to quit paying the seller money, you can log into Paypal and cancel the subscription there. The seller may try to still charge your account, but they won't get any of your money because Paypal will block them.
  • You can do similar by calling the credit card company to stop recurring charges.

@Scissorman, you're right, I was confused. PayPal can't freeze your bank funds.I had it mixed up with folks gettig their itunes account hacked and those accounts were tied to PayPal and further tied to a bank account. Horror stories where hundreds of dollars were charged to itunes store, PayPal saying to go to itunes, itunes saying to go to PayPal, and meanwhile, people missing vacations, rent payments, car payments while all the finger-pointing continued.