Themed custom EPs

kezkez
edited May 2011 in General
Listening to my ipod today, it occurred to me that several songs I played shared the common theme of "Water." That gave me an idea to make a short 5-song playlist based on the common theme. Doing this reminded me what fun it was coming up with 'gardening' songs for Confused. I think all of these songs are .49, so it could be a good way to use up a left-over $2.45 at the end of the month on emusic. (or in this case, only $1.96 since one of the tracks is free). Every one of these songs is a big, big winner:

The Water EP:

Track 1
Water in the Ground by Catherine MacLellan emusic link
Winner at the 2010 East Coast Music Awards:
Female Solo Recording of the Year
Folk Recording of the Year
Four time winner at the Music PEI Awards
Songwriter of the Year: Catherine MacLellan - "Take a Break"
Female Vocalist of the Year: Catherine MacLellan
Album of the Year: Catherine MacLellan - Water in the Ground
Folk Recording of the Year: Catherine MacLellan - Water in the Ground
Winner for Solo Artist of the Year at 2009 Canadian Folk Music Awards
#1 Roots Artist on iTunes Canada
PEI winner for CBC Radio 2 – Canadian Song Quest
Penguin Eggs – New Artist Discovery of the year
“Water in the Ground has had me whistling, singing along and banging the dashboard every time I put it
on. Catherine MacLellan may just have the key for what ails us. Highly recommended for the young at
heart and pure of spirit.” – No Depression
Review here

Track 2
Follow the Drinking Gourd by Mark Erelli emusic link
"Recorded in the Civil War era Memorial Hall in Monson, Massachusetts, the song selections are all rooted to the New England area in one way or another...The traditional Civil War song, "The Drinking Gourd," is presented in a marvelously hypnotic rhythm." Full review here

Track 3
The Water (feat. Laura Marling) by Johnny Flynn[/url] emusic link
Review here
"‘The Water’ is clearly the standout on the record, due in no small part to Marling’s angelic vocal accompaniment, but also due to Flynn’s strong songwriting, which features an effective symbolic relationship of water being both a method of transporting oneself to new situations and also a nourishing element essential to life." (from this review

Track 4
A Surfer Courted Me by Martha Tilston
I couldn't find any soundclips of this song and emusic doesn't have the album from which it comes ("Ropeswing"), but you can download the entire album FREE at Pond Life's website here . The whole album is very good and 'Surfer' is my very, very favorite song. It is to the tune of the traditional "The Blacksmith" but Martha puts her own spin on the song by making the blacksmith a surfer. I really really love this song. Do yourself a favor and get the free download.

Track 5
Snow in Central Park by Jackie Leven emusic link
Review here

Comments

• kezkez
    edited May 2011
    Oh boy - my head is full of more playlists now. Here's another one I had fun creating. (My original plan was to not exceed 5 songs, but this one has 8 and I didn't want to cut any of them. Guess I'll just let it go where it will:

MYTHS & LEGENDS

Track 1
    Here Comes Sisyphus by Jack Logan & Bob Kimbell emusic link
    Review here
    In Greek mythology, Sisyphus was a king punished by being compelled to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only to watch it roll back down, and to repeat this throughout eternity. He is also found in Roman mythology - (from Wikipedia). This is a catchy song with some clever lyrics: “Here comes Sisyphus pushing that rock on up the hill, don’t think he ever will / it’s gonna roll on back, crush his ass / he oughta know better than that.” I downloaded this one from emusic back in the good ol’ Simon Sez days. I think it was Katrina that recommended it. Great find.

Track 2
    Frankenstein’s Daughter by Elliott Murphy emusic link
    Well, I have raved often enough lately about Elliott Murphy lately so it’s not surprising I would find just the right custom EP for one of his songs. This track is one of many winning ones on the album “Notes from the Underground.” Very good beat, with a pretty nice guitar break from that French guitarist who plays with Murphy on a lot of his albums.

Track 3
    My Father was a Werewolf by Redhill Rats emusic link
    This one has a rompin’ good chorus and goes out with a very nice instrumental of Irish whistle and fiddles.

Track 4
    Mermaid by Grayson Capps emusic link
    Review here

Track 5
    Suvetar by Gjallarhorn.
    Amazon link. Not available on emusic.
    Suvetar is the mythical Norse goddess of spring. This piece virtually jumps from the speakers with bonging drums and undulating digeridoo. A beautiful voice there, too.
    Review here

Track 6
    Atlantis by two Norwegian guys, Ole Paus & Jonas Fjeld. I wrote a review on emusic’s album page here. Nuff said.

Track 7
    The Keys of Canterbury by Show of Hands emusic link
    Review here
    Great album – Keys to Canterbury is a very impressive duet.

Track 8
    Medusa by Heather Dale emusic link
    Heather Dale’s album, The Road to Santiago, is excellent indeed. I wrote about it extensively on the original celtic music thread on emusic. That was a couple of years ago. The album still ranks as a favorite of mine.
  • OK, how about this. Two free tracks are linked to the archive, the other three to emusic, so the "EP" can be had for $1.47. The theme is aural rather than having to be mentioned in the title, and I think I kept the mood consistent:

I LIKE (AMBIENT) TRAINS

Track 1:
    Trains by Parks, from the album Umber. Great ambient track with a rollicking train rhythm running alongside. Maybe it's my nostalgia for European railways, but I love this.

Track 2:
    Jeune homme triste dans un train by Oathless, from the album Seen Through Reflection (free at the archive). More good ambience with train rhythms.

Track 3:
    Returns to the Orange Grove by Brokeback, from the album Field Recordings from the Cook County Water Table. Melodic, meditative bass backed by field recording of a train. Very evocative.

Track 4:
    Train Travel by Doyeq, from the album Eyelashes of Lanterns (free from the archive). Ambient/downtempo with piano and hints of train rhythms.

Track 5:
    Birds Fly by Flapping Their Wings by Biosphere, from the album Dropsonde. This is admittedly tenuous - the background rhythm here is probably not meant to be a train, but it just fits with the others here, and takes things in a slightly more upbeat direction after the musing Doyeq. (Feel free to suggest a mood-suitable alternative with actual trains - I'd love to hear about it)
  • kezkez
    edited May 2011
    Good idea for an EP theme! Here's a more conventional one on a similar theme:

PLANES, TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES

Track 1
    Galaxy 500 by Kate Campbell.
    emusic link
    Great nostalgic song. Southern through and through. Do yourself a favor and discover Kate Campbell. She's unique and unforgettable.

Track 2
    Sweet Little 66 by Steve Earle.
    emusic link
    I do love this song.

Track 3
    Plane by Mount Moriah
    emusic link
    This debut album has been getting a lot of attention - deservedly so (see here and here.

Track 4
    Dr. Zhivago's Train by Nicolai Dunger
    Amazon link
    I couldn't find an inexpensive download of this song. emusic used to have it, but alas, it is gone (as are so many others these days!). The album was released on the independent label, Lakeshore Records.
    Review here and
    here

Track 5
    Transit by Richard Shindell.
    Amazon link
    A mystical, brilliantly written apocalyptic masterpiece. ..."Still, the one song on the album that floored me was "Transit." Somewhere near Paterson, NJ, a kind of Twilight Zone episode transpires on Route 80, where rush hour motorists drive headlong through the Delaware Water Gap and off the edge of the earth into the setting sun. Like much of Shindell's best work, this is a theological tale - a nun trying to get a busload of children to a concert is getting her prayers answered. The story is haunting and grimly funny. And very real." (from this review).
    Gripe: THIS one's not on emusic any more?? I couldn't find it anyway. Everytime I think I'm missing emusic, I discover yet another genius album that has been pulled, which makes me feel better about cancelling my subscription.
  • kezkez
    edited May 2011
    These playlists are giving me a chance to hear some excellent songs I haven't heard in years. I'm enjoying hearing them again:

ANATOMY

Track 1
    I Never Lost an Arm by Bruce Henderson
    Review here
    The title may sound a bit bizarre, but the first 2 lines lets you know what it's about - "They say that when you lose an arm, you still have feeling there/well, I never lost an arm, but I lost you.' A real country-rocker torch song. Playing it again now reminds me how much I love this song.

Track 2
    My Lonely Sad Eyes by Maria McKee.
    emusic link
    When I first bought this album (You Gotta Sin to Get Saved), I listened to it once and put it away. Got it out again about a year later and, whoa - I couldn't understand why I didn't immediately appreciate this one! This is Maria McKee's best album, IMO.

Track 3
    With These Hands by Alejandro Escovedo (from the original Ryko 1996 album "With These Hands" (see here. I couldn't find a short sound byte of this dynamite song, but Yahoo has a sound sample of the entire song here. From Alejandro's 1996 album "With These Hands" (probably his best, IMO). Fantastic percussion beakdown (bongo/conga drums?) in the middle of the song.

There is another 2-CD album also called "With These Hands" that I think is a re-issue of the original, plus some live tracks on the 2nd disk. (A discussion of the 2-CD set was posted on the emusic messageboard here. And another emusic posting "Who is this Alejandro Escovedo?" here talks about a benefit compilation CD for Alejandro which is apparently very good - I didn't know about this compilation disk, and actually didn't realize Alejandro had contracted hepatitis C. I'm going to have to get up to speed about that. The compilation disk evidently has a lot of big names contributing.

Alejandro's 2002 concept album "The Hands of the Fathers" here also includes the song "With These Hands." It is a documentation in part of a stage project he created which explores the dynamics of Mexican-American family life in words, music, and pictures.

Track 4
    Song Up In Her Head by Sarah Jarosz
    emusic link
    Thanks to Dr. Mutex for posting about Sarah's new album "Follow Me Down" due out on May 17. Glad to know about that.

Track 5
    Heartfeeder by String Driven Thing. From the re-issue of the original 1973 album (not to be confused with the album "The Machine That Cried - The Band's Official Version." Not sure what the difference between the two is, but on the original 1973 album, the label made the band change some chords in Heartfeeder because they felt it was too 'disturbing.' ) This track is a fine example of frenzied, wild and genius pychedelic rock. It was completely under my radar in the 1970's, but I think it sounds pretty good 38 years later.

####

This one slows things down very, very nicely:

THE LUNAR EP

Track 1
    That Moon Song by Gregory Alan Isakov
    emusic link
    Very nice duet with Brandi Carlile. (The album appeared on quite a few "best of" lists for 2009.)

Track 2
    Moon on the Water by Terri Hendrix
    emusic link
    Gorgeous!

Track 3
    Silver Light by Vivian Linden.
    emusic link
    Very erotic and lovely.

Track 4
    Whoop-De-Doo by Mark Knopfler
    album info
    Woops - I thought the name of this song was "Over the Moon"! Well, it fits perfectly with the other songs on this EP and it's just too good to leave out, so here it is.

Track 5
    Moonglow, Lamp Low by Eleni Mandell[/url]
    emusic link
    A real soother - great saxophone in it, too.

Track 6
    Moonlight Serenade by Carly Simon.
    emusic link
    Going out in style with the great American songbook. (This album just puts you in a good mood.
  • kezkez
    edited May 2011
    NUMBERS

Track 1
    Three Days by Noa
    emusic link
    From an album that mixes Noa's two heritages - Israeli and American. The song is sung in Hebrew, and she has a lovely and unforgettable voice.

Track 2
    Give Me One Reason by Tracy Chapman
    emusic link
    .79 on emusic, maybe it can be found somewhere else cheaper (not to mention better sound quality). But this is one fantastic song. I never tire of hearing it.

Track 3
    Two Hearts by The Jayhawks
    emusic link
    7digital link
    A real classic.

Track 4
    One Wintry Night by Jerry Read Smith & Lisa Marie Smith
    Album info
    I first heard this song on a Paste sampler CD back when I was a subscriber. Although it is a Christmas song, it has a universal sound that is appealing any time of the year. It features a hammered dulcimer and is really outstanding. My teenage daughter once commented on how pretty it was - and she never likes anything I play!
    Of particular note is the fact that the artist, Jerry Read Smith, makes hammered dulcimers and is playing one of his creations on this song. He has a shop in North Carolina that you can tour and watch hammered dulcimers being built. Visit his website for a very fascinating read HERE

Track 5
    1,2,3 by Jessica Fichot
    emusic link
    Another one of my very good emusic finds.
    "French chanson tradition, Chinese folk motifs, Continental jazz and Latin notes are interwoven together into a colourful collection of songs on Jessica Fichot’s debut album. The versatility of her debut Le Chemin (2007) mirrors her multicultural and multilingual background. Often accompanied by piano and accordion, recalling the rhythms of waltz, polka and cabaret music, Jessica’s elegant songwriting evokes the images of 19th century Parisian coffeehouses and dance halls. “1,2,3? is a fine example of her inventive songwriting, clear vocals and a distinctly French instrumentation." (from this link.

Track 6
    4 & 20 Blues by Jeffrey Foucault
    emusic link
    Another song I discovered back in the Paste days.
    (Huh - I didn't know that Foucault has released a NEW album just this month - "Horse Latitudes." emusic has it HERE.
    (Interestingly, I could have sworn they USED TO have his 2006 album, 'Ghost Repeater,' but it's gone now, even though it is also a Signature Sounds release. There's no trying to guess reasons for why.)
    Review of 'Horse Latitudes' here

Track 7
    Two Parts in One by Depedro
    emusic link
    Depedro's debut album. Depedro is Spanish singer and guitarist Jairo Zavala, touring lead guitarist for Calexico. Calexico band members contribute to this album and it was recorded in their studio. One of my best emusic finds.

Track 8
    100 Days, 100 Nights by Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
    emusic link
    A great R&B rocker to wrap things up.
  • Addendum to NUMBERS EP (Track 4) -

About Track 4 (One Wintry Night by Jerry Read Smith), I forgot to add a comment - that track came from Paste CD Sampler #13. When I was googling for that, I came across this:

The Paste Holiday Sampler: 13 free Christmas MP3's
    This free album download was dated Dec 2010, but is still active, if anyone wishes to get it HERE
  • oooh, this is cool. I remember confused's gardening thread. Still have a playlist in itunes from that. Will check out the ones listed here, and see if i can come up with a fun one.
  • edited May 2011
    The numbers thing could be pushed in a lot of directions. Like

GEOMETRIC PROGRESSION
    (fairly genre-consistent)

01a by Skoltz_Kolgen, from postpiano 07.05
    10 by Celer from Descender (Can't find this album online - I downloaded it from somewhere but nowhere seems to have it now)
    100 Years Ago by Tim Hecker from An Imaginary Country
    A Thousand-Yard Stare by Rafael Anton Irisarri from Daydreaming
    10,000 Miles by Juno Reactor, Transmissions
    100,000 People (from The Fog of War), Philip Glass, Philip Glass Sampler Vol.I
    Million Light Yearning by Heinali from 67 Breaths
  • edited May 2011
    Washed Away

Red River Blues
    Sonny Terry
    From Sonny Terry Vol. 2
    performed live by Terry with Brownie McGhee

Lorelei
    Cocteau Twins
    From Treasure
    performed live

Omie Wise
    Pentangle
    From Reflection
    Stream from Guvera

Deep River Blues
    Doc Watson
    From Doc Watson
    performed live

Louisiana 1927
    Martin Simpson
    From Prodigal Son
    Performed live

Old Man River
    Paul Robeson
    From Show Boat
    From the film

What Did The Deep Sea Say?
    Dave Alvin
    From Public Domain
    performed live with the Guitly Women, featuring Amy Farris (rip)
  • @Germanprof - Very clever - your 'geometric progression' concept is great!

@Bad Thoughts - That was fun. I really enjoyed those youtube links.

@Katrina - Am interested to see what you come up with!

All these various EP's contain music from a lot of different genres, which just goes to show you that good music is simply that - good music - no matter what kind.
  • I've got a super 'Colors vs Coulours' in mind, but they aren't from Mordac. Wait for it.
  • I am having trouble with my colours playlist. Not as good as I'd hoped!
  • @Katrina - so ditch that one and come up with another one!
  • Red
    King Crimson
    From Red
    performed by 1990s Crimson

Maroon Lagoon
    Bibio
    From Hand Cranked
    slide video

Ruby, My Dear
    Thelonious Monk
    From Monk's Music
    performed live

Vermillion Plaza
    Deastro
    From Moondagger
    preformed on radio

A Rose in April
    Kate Rusby
    From Hourglass
    performed by Jon Boden

Hey Hey My My
    Neil Young
    From Rust Never Sleeps
    performed live
  • That's a different take on 'colours'!

Katrina - maybe you can alter your 'colors vs colours' to include all kinds of colors? Lots of songs with blue, black, red, green, yellow, etc. I was thinking of doing a black one myself at some point.
  • edited May 2011
    OK, it is time I joined this thread. Prompted by listening to Simon and Garfunkel's Bookends CD a couple of times in the car recently, my theme is America.

So I'll have to start with Simon and Garfunkel America http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W773ZPJhcVw

Next up Supertramp Breakfast in America http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZZ343iT57M

Followed by Razorlight America http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPrqhPqLNcw

I will have to include the Boss, so Bruce Springsteen Amercan Land http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anSQtsuX6HE

Finally David Bowie and Pat Methany This is not America http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJRF8xGzvj4

Near misses include Neil Diamond America, David Bowie Young Americans, Joan Armatrading All the Way from America, Da Brasilians Greetings from America and Don Maclean's Amrican Pie which would actually make up a fine second selection
  • ooooh! A fine 4th of July playlist!
  • Yeah, good one, Greg. Coincidentally, I was halfway thinking of an "America" EP myself. Maybe I'll do a Part 2. And yeah, I agree - that 'is' a nice one for the 4th of July holiday coming up.
  • CRIME & PUNISHMENT

Track 1
    For Shame of Doing Wrong by Richard & Linda Thompson
    It's on Guvera HERE

Track 2
    Steal Me a Car by Krista Detor
    emusic link

Track 3
    Criminology by Tom Russell
    emusic link

Track 4
    Phone Call from Leavenworth by Chris Whitley
    emusic link

Track 5
    The Bounty Hunter by The McDades
    emusic link

Track 6
    Clean Getaway by Kieran Kane, Kevin Welch & Fats Kaplan
    emusic link

Track 7
    Gallows Pole by Page & Plant
    emusic link
  • edited May 2011
    Haha. That's a good mix.

I was thinking of an "I hate you & will breakup/never get back with you playlist" while driving to work. A song came on the radio...I must find it....the lyrics were so bad I must study them.
    Something about "You're so cold you'll freeze your soul".

edit - found it! And it's on Mordac!
    The lyrics are actually
    You're gonna catch a cold
    From the ice inside your soul

Christina Perri "Jar of Hearts"
    Gloria Gaynor "I Will Survive" (one of the first tracks I DL'd after joining eMu before I found the good stuff)
    Liz Phair "Divorce Song"
    Lee Hazlewood "I'm Glad I Never..." (used to be on Mordac, but no longer....first full album I DL'd from there, I think)
    Halestorm "Love / Hate Heartbreak" it was a free itunes video from Nov 2009
  • I like songs about places, it is part of me being a Geography lecturer, so I'll probably do some more lists. I ought to do England or UK after America. Africa will be easy - I've just done an itunes smart list and I have over 30 tracks with Africa or African in the title, so that won't be difficult to choose 5 or 6 tracks
  • edited May 2011
    Yes, Africa would be easier than Russia! A playlist about California would be easy, too.
    I like your 2nd America playlist, too. I'll add "American Girl" by Tom Petty when I play it.
  • Africa coming up - not easy to shortlist, but these are my favourites. Two lists - one by African artists and another by Rest of the World. Sorry, no video links this time as it is too distracting from the assignment marking I should be doing - I might add later .

African Artists

Angelique Kidjo - Out of Africa

Youssou N'Dour - It's Africa Calling

Habib Koite - Africa

Toumani Diabate's Symmetric Orchestra - Africa Challenge

Amadou and Mariam, featuring Knaan - Africa

Femi Kuti - Africa for Africa

Non- African Artists

Paul Simon -Under African Skies

Toto - Africa

Madness - Africa

Eddy Grant - Hello Africa

Ziggy Marley and Angelique Kidjo - Africa

Enya - Storms in Africa
  • @Katrina - Back in the USSR, From Russia with Love - not sure what else?
  • edited May 2011
    Russian Circles (their album Geneva gets you two geographical hits in one). Leningrad Cowboys (how about them doing Sweet Home Alabama - another two for one). Moscow by The Future Sound of London (there's another - how about an EP where the song and the band name both have to contain a different location:-)). Billy Joel - Leningrad...
  • Going back many years to trad jazz Midnight in Moscow by Kenny Ball
  • @Katrina - good one. I really like that "Divorce Song." Positively 4th Street would go good in your playlist. I always thought that was the ultimate telling-somebody-off song. Oh, and I think you're elected now to put the Russia playlist together.

@Greg - I like that Africa EP. And I like your 2nd America playlist, too.
  • kez, that's a perfect addition! Thanks.
    Hmm, I'll have to think about the Russian one.

Right now I am hot to get a GEMSTONE playlist together:

Topaz by B-52s from Cosmic Thing
    Diamonds & Pearls by Prince
    Ruby Blue by R
  • edited May 2011
    @Katrina, Ruby Tuesday - Rolling Stones?? Maybe a little too slow for this list? But I do like the suggestions and agree with your Coltrane comment
  • edited May 2011
    We were In London last weekend, so I've come up with these:

London Calling - The Clash http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4871011037562531326#

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkS169P_Eeo

Waterloo Sunset - Kinks http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjt8h_the-kinks-waterloo-sunset_music

The Hill - James Wallbourne http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBRQtdmYkQc

Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtPk5IUbdH0

'A' Bomb in Wardour Street - Jam http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCl25RJQPbA

For those who know London a little, The Hill is Muswell Hill and Electric Avenue is in Brixton