Spotify

edited July 2011 in General
Spotify is coming to the US! get your invite.

Comments

• Hope you all enjoy - I certainly do!
  • Requested and... waiting...
  • Looks like spotify will be nothing special once it hits the US:
    Signup Flow Shows Spotify Costing $4.99 And $9.99 A Month In The US

Just one of several players in the $5/mo streaming field. I wouldn't be surprised if the free version were very limited, in several senses.
  • Requested too. Not sure I'm willing to pay to stream, but am willing to give it a shot.
  • I requested a few days ago. Haven't heard anything back.
  • I've heard they'll open up shop by July 15.
  • Here, there are two services. For free you get I think 20 hours a month. If you pay for the service it is unlimited listening. The free service is plenty for me
  • Good to know - I thought it was all free. Now I'm wondering what the free limit will be here in the USA.
  • edited July 2011
    I knew it was not going to be free, but I've seen things where rate will be lower than in the UK. The Facebook service is the mega-monster ass-kicker of this deal, so I imagine they're going to keep cost as low as possible to sign up the highest possible number of users. Even a few free hours would be awesome for auditioning music!

edited to add:

spotify_spotify_ad_large.png?tag=mantle_skin;content

Ew. Via ZDNet News
  • edited July 2011
    20 hours free a month makes it sound like Pandora.

Edit: sorry, I meant the use cap was similar, not the way you can listen to music.
  • Spotify/Rdio/napster/MOG = on demand. Pandora/last.fm = algorithm-selected shuffle. Very different use cases that shouldn't be conflated.
  • If it's 20 hours/month free, I would absolutely ditch MOG. They've got a nice service, but I think I would easily get by with 20 hours to check out albums I don't own. Half of my MOG use is stuff I do own but can currently access it through them easier on my TV.
  • edited July 2011
    Not sure though that they will follow the same approach in the States as they do in Europe. They've changed their 'pricing' several times. The disadvantage of the free service is that you do get the odd advert, but not as often as radio, for example, and no presenter, news and weather!
  • Hypebot is out, but they link to a Chevy Facebook page which I used to get an account immediately.
  • Bit the bullet on the Chevy page. I don't think I'll use Spotify, but can't hurt to try it for 6 months for free.

Craig
  • edited July 2011
    i listen to music on my ipod, almost never on my computer or cellphone, so i don't think spotify is for me for that reason.
  • edited July 2011
    Same here Daniel, but for free? I'll try it out.

The internet monkeys at Chevy must have taken a break after thom signed up. Still haven't gotten the email.

Craig
  • spotify has hacked into and blocked emusic. all i get are "oops! page not found" messages.

f---g spotify.
  • One thing we know for sure about Spotify...they are not worrying very much about competition from eMusic!
  • I'm in! Invite went to spam. Fun so far...Listening to the new Raphael Saaadiq, which I snoozed on earlier this week. There are no "premium freebies," but my free membership includes unlimited streaming. I could buy mobile if I wanted it.

Sound seems OK, but just listening on desktop speakers. Obviously a great "Lala replacement" for auditioning albums. I will be exploring...
  • edited July 2011
    Also got the free introductory period. It will be useful for previewing some things, but has its limits. So far, spotify only has about 50% of the titles I searched for (almost all of the ones I couldn't find are available on emusic)
  • edited July 2011
    Am I missing something, or does Spotify not scrobble?

ETA: Nevermind. Think I got it.

Craig
  • Craig, how do you get it to Scrobble? I'm clueless...

Prof, with some holes, it is actually pretty good on jazz.
  • Go to your preferences in Spotify and there is a section to enable scrobbling by adding your last.fm username and password. It took a bit for the connection to solidify, but it's good to go now.

Craig
  • I am scrobbling. Not sure why that matters to me so much but it seems to.

First couple unpleasant surprises:

1. Stopped playing on it's own...forgot about it and went away...2 hrs later re-started playing out of the blue! Hmm...

2. Between songs, a Rap song I wouldn't listen to in approx 1 million years started playing as "ad." Had to play through the entire (30 sec?) sample before my song would play. That would be suboptimal....
  • edited July 2011
    Yeah, I had the same just as I was about to play a Colin Stetson song (thanks amclark2, cafreema) to my wife; I had just explained admiringly that all the sounds she was about to hear were created live by one guy on a saxophone, and spotify chose that very moment to launch into 30 seconds of Incubus, leaving my wife very skeptical about what I had been telling her....
    The upgrade selling strategy does seem to be to make the free version mildly annoying.
  • So, can someone confirm that even you shell out the ten bucks a month, these songs don't go on a mp3 player? I listen to music on the computer about once a week, but a solid bit rate for my mp3, I'd be sold.
  • I'm annoyed. I didn't get the invitation.
  • I listened for a bit this morning. Not terribly excited about it but I wasn't terribly excited about Rdio either. My co-workers however seems to be thriving on it and Rdio. Maybe I need to listen to more Nicki Minaj and Pitbull.