Christmas Music (or Holiday music if you insist on PC)

13»

Comments

• There is only one real "Christmas song" that is allowed to reside on my iPod all year long. Just listen to everything that goes on in this song....In a way its sheer dumbness is what allows the brilliance of the production shine through. 

• edited December 2015
    No Christmas time without me posting this:

- "Twelve years ago, the vintage recordings websiteDawn of Sound released a compact disc collection of public domain early recording artifacts calledVoices of Christmas Past. The recordings were cylinders and acetates from 1898 to 1922. Every year after the release, the website was inundated with requests for the CD. Once it was out of print, Dawn of Sound released it online for free.

In addition to the holiday material, here are some fun winter-themed treats, two pieces fromTchaikovsky's Nutcracker, and some spoken old time radio theatre selections."

Notes from Dawn of Sound:
    - "The artists featured here were pioneer recordings artists whose names were well known in the era they lived. They helped start what is now known today as the record industry. They were popular artist in their time, and their records sold well in an era when movies were silent and radio and television did not yet exist.

Of all things Christmas, nothing is more traditional than the singing of carols and songs....

On October 30, 1889, banjoist Will Lyle made history by recording "Jingle Bells", the very first Christmas record. Although no known copies of this record survive, one of the earliest vocal examples of "Jingle Bells" does survive on an Edison brown wax cylinder entitled, "Sleigh Ride Party". It was made a decade later and is reissued here for the very first time in this collection. These songs and monologues from the original vintage recordings capture the essence of the Christmas spirit as it was in the opening two decades of the 20th Century.

So gather up the family, wind up the phonograph and take a trip back in time to the early 1900's and celebrate the holidays with the "Voices of Christmas Past".
  • I just confirmed my recollection that I have Bad Thoughts to thank for my absolute favorite Christmas album:
    Still listening to this - thanks BT!

• edited December 2015
    That La Sibil.la is a good one, thanks BT and GP.

New to me:

I've been collecting some early music, sacred and "classical" Christmas albums at Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/user/doofy2u/playlist/4ne8MVocew8gd7Jkr4c64o
  • edited December 2015
    Although Christmas jazz dominates my holiday music collection, my favorite holiday rec I ever got was for this great record of English folk carols: Sneak's Noyse - Christmas is Drawing Near

I love that stuff. Also good in the same vein: Maddy Prior - A Tapestry of Carols
  • GP: I remember that is a good one. Indeed, if I could find it, I would listen to it. (I had to erase my HD a few months back, but haven't put back all the music I had thereon.)
  • Didn't mean to peek, but I was home when the UPS guy came and I know what a box from Mosaic Records looks like.  I must have been a very good boy this year.

• Doofy said:
    Didn't mean to peek, but I was home when the UPS guy came and I know what a box from Mosaic Records looks like.  I must have been a very good boy this year.

It's been a keeper here for the past three months. 
    When I worked for blues photographer Ray Flerlage
    in the early 80's, he had a small record distribution business.
    Three people: Ray, a seller (me) and an order packer and
    that was my intro to Beehive. I still have those wonderful LPs
    and now it's nice to have good transfers to disc plus the nice,
    informative booklet too. There's some great musicianship on those sides.
  • Huh, is Mosaic deliberately hiding the full contents of that set? I can't find any link on the page the notes all the sessions/albums included. I find that a little bizarre.
  • Nice to see you Bad Thoughts; Happy Holidays to you, and to everyone else too!

I stopped by this thread to note that Ze Records is giving away their 1981 Christmas album in exchange for an email address: http://www.zerecords.com/sign-in.php

• The Ze album, I have only the vinyl version, thanks amclark2 time to party with Mrs Lowlife
  • @rostasi @kargatron Oh, those names and line-ups.  Clifford Jordan with Von Freeman, with Dizzy Reese, with Jaki Byard.  Didn't even know about the Johnny Hartman stuff
  •  
    The Legendary Pink Dots Christmas Special 2015 

Are you tired of that awkward Paul McCartney song that feels like someone repeatedly jabbing you with a pin while ordering you to have a wonderful Christmas Time? Afraid of Live Aid? Slade? Deceased British comedians that twitch, and shout "Thwaaaay!" (whatever that means)? Well, here is the antidote to that….the Christmas song that you'll probably hear just once. If it's loud enough ,the local vigilantes will surely torch your computer and insist you are a heretic.Welcome, my friends,to The Legendary Pink Dots' Christmas Special 2015.
    - You have been warned.
    - I really miss those colo(u)rs . . .
  • Merry Christmas everybody and I guess a moment of silence for the great Christmas sales of yesteryear that do not seem to be occurring any longer.  Am I just missing something, or has the landscape changed?  7digital hasn't had a sale like they used to in years now, and I'm not seeing the kind of sales at Amazon that used to be either.  I'm OK with this actually as I've got my collection to keep me warm, but the difference from years previous seems marked.  I only idly wonder what is behind this change?  Streaming?  Anyhow, have a Happy and I think I'll put some vintage 7digital Xmas sale James Brown on to liven up the neighbors morning.
  • Merry Christmas!
  • Considering that today's big news is that the Beatles are now on Spotify etc, I think the answer is yes, it's streaming. Merry Christmas all!
  • Merry Christmas!
  • Merry Christmas
  • Merry Christmas!
  • Happy Christmas to all, and Best Wishes to BT, glad to see you here again
  • Merry Christmas to all
  • Hope all had a cool yule and Santa gave you all some nice things
  • Happy New Year! :)
  • Happy new year!
  • edited January 2016
    httpsmediagiphycommediaqCEABU0biHFNmgiphygif