Nereffid's Guide Awards 2011

edited February 2012 in Classical
Finally, finally: The best-reviewed classical albums of 2011

I'll get working on some sort of condensed post for Music Is Good.

Comments

• Wonderful! Thanks for putting this together
  • Thanks for this Nereffid. I am really only now beginning to listen to classical muisc, but this will help me
  • That's great!

That Bach Easter oratorio album has been on my list to get, but hadn't got around to it yet. Good to have my memory jogged about that one.
  • chinese recorder concerto!

i smell a scandal.
  • edited February 2012
    Tweeted

ETA, I got that Stile Antico in Amazon end-of-year sale, really tremendous. Can't wait till next Christmas!
  • edited February 2012
    <deleted - tried to insert blockquote and failed abjectly>
  • Good idea, Doofy. Shared on Facebook.
  • @nereffid:

i'm up for a truly engaging performance of firebird and/or rites of spring. knowing i have a the twin evils of sublime and discord embedded in me craw, what would you recommend?

clink!
  • Well, I'm happy with my pairing of the two works from Antal Dorati and the Detroit Symphony (Decca) but I don't think you can get them on a single disc any more. They're part of a cheap 5-disc "Ultimate Russian Classics" (http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=225386&album_group=5), which looks like a good set if you're interested in the other music.

Stravinsky's own recordings from the 1960s are a good bet too, and if you want to go bananas on the composer you can get a 22-disc set that it should be easy to find for less than $35 (http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=175079&album_group=5). There's also a 7-disc set of the ballets but someone on Amazon was complaining about the remastering.

I know you're a BIS fan, so you might want to check out Andrew Litton's recent recording of the Rite and Petrushka, which got some very high praise from some quarters - though not from everyone, and it was well out of the running in this year's Nereffid's Guide Awards. Actually that's a difficulty with recommending a performance of either Firebird or Rite - there's plenty recordings of each that would make you happy, and asking 50 people for a recommendation will probably give at least 30 different answers.
  • huh? - how 'bout this for sync: visiting the "friends of the library" bookstore in the library basement i was fumbling through the music/sheet music section tryiong to find some pulp on violin for the youngest (i've given up on finding anything for viola). fumbling, fumbling, fumbling and what should i find??? kalmus orchestra scores no. 78 igor stravinsky "le sacre du printemps" - not sure if this falls into their "miniature opera scores" series as its 140 pages.

75 cents.

but no violin sheet music. gobs for piano.

there is a version of the rite of spring i picked up back in the day on emu. fireworks. alas, pc died a death at the hands (or feet) of a brutish delivery service. the back-up drive is going to be visited in the weeks ahead and i'll see if it was in the proper back-up category.

by the way, did this make the 2010 nereffid awards??? angele dubeau + la pieta - arvo part: portrait (7 works of part)