Innovative way to keep ticket prices low & still make money touring

edited August 2012 in General
Jeremy Messersmith is going on a Supper Club tour. He gets people to open their homes to him, people who come bring food and drinks to share, he puts on an acoustic show. No money goes to club owners, no people in clubs wandering around ignoring him, no band, no roadies, no ticket agencies. His costs are just driving from city to city, meals on the road, and hotels. Although he doesn't ask for it, I'll bet some hosts might offer to put him up & give him breakfast, too. At 50 people per night (many shows are up to to the 50 person maximum), $15 each, he grosses $750 a night, maybe $550 or $650 net. It actually sounds like it might be fun for him, too. He gets up close and shares potluck and his music with nice people.

I found out about this from a Facebook page called Bandsintown that sends me emails. Their tag line is, "A more personal, more social live music experience." I'd say that fits the Supper Club Tour much better than it fits Bandsintown.

Pretty cool. I think I might go to the Denver show.

Comments

• That is pretty cool. I don't even know the guy or his music (the name sounds familiar, though - I think he's been mentioned elsewhere here in emusers). It would be something I would definitely consider if he were to pass through the Dallas, TX area. Cool as it is, part of me is thinking: "That has litigation written all over it". Hope he pulls it all off successfully and without any negative incidents.
  • edited August 2012
    I guess that wouldn't be a lot of money for Ke$hia or the Stones, but for him it's probably not bad.

All three albums streaming at http://supperclubtour.com/music/ and there are lots of videos on YouTube. He was on my "Best of" list in 2010.
  • Jeremy Messersmith is a fantastic pop musician. His last album, The Reluctant Graveyard, was perfect.

Something tells me though that I couldn't take advantage of this type of tour for him. Being a local he can sell plenty of tickets here.

Craig
  • Several bands I follow do the backyard barbcue thing every summer. Bill Malonee is always looking for fans to pony up $500 and a place to stay. He opens the trunk and sells CD's and t-shirts; Lost Dogs and the Choir do the same sort of thing. I have heard of a few more I am not recalling right now. Seems to me they get 25 gigs in over 30 days, and it pays pretty decent.

in this area of the world, I know of several farms that have turned their barns into venues, added sound systems and decent seating. One place backed in a couple hundred for a bluegrass concert. Had an old fashioned pot luck after.
  • Sounds like a great idea. It's always frustrating to buy tickets and watch the price increase with the various fees add up. My wife and I are going to see Tycho/The Album leaf next week at a venue in Dallas that we'd never been to before and the buying process was going well until the only way to get tickets online was to have them rushed via 2nd day air for $15, no will call or other eticket option. If we had planned ahead we perhaps could have saved money by driving across town to Good Records which sells tickets for many venues in Dallas. This time we're sucking it up, but in the future that might be a dealbreaker.
  • The one that annoys me most is when there is an option between various kinds of mail or pick up at the venue and then they charge a fee for you to pick it up at the venue.