Comments

• This one..

I've never actually heard it mind you, but I trust Folkways well enough.
  • Since there's about as much scientific evidence that you can learn a language subliminally as that Elvis is alive, I would say take your pick, they are likely to be equally successful. If we were back in the days when we had credits to burn, it might be an interesting experiment to see how many clicks in the same week it would take to push one of them into emusic's charts.
  • Germanprof,

Very funny! LOL! :-)

amclark2,

yes, much rather purchase real music than an empty promise.
  • Knowing eMusic, you might think you're downloading an album to help you learn Lithuanian and wake up knowing how to play the bassoon.
  • edited September 2012
    Some days emusic's business model is selling subliminal downloads (something invisible is supposed to be happening but probably isn't).
  • edited September 2012
    I would choose this one:
    300x300.jpg

- Coolest cover and only 0,49 € for one hour. . .
  • The disclaimer is hilarious. What medical, psychiatric, or clinical advice would include learning Lithuanian?
  • Elvis is dead ?
  • I wonder if mp3 encoding includes subliminal or inaudible signals? Maybe they have to put it in the metadata tags?
  • Maybe LAME works but not Fraunhoffer?
  • edited September 2012
    Dont know if I learnt any Lithuanian after hearing the sample but all that water made me run to the toilet
  • Dont know if I learnt any Lithuanian after hearing the sample but all that water made me run to the toilet.

This is bad so I apologize in advance, but I knew a Russian guy who used to say:

"When you have to go, you're Russian. When you're going European. When you're done you're Finnish."

but no Lithuanian.
  • edited September 2012
    Ah, seeing the cover makes things much clearer. It actually works by alliteration.
  • edited September 2012
    Actually this thread might turn out to be professionally useful to me. I'm teaching an applied linguistics course for future language teachers and we do briefly look at the range of bogus, mystifying claims about language learning made by the "learn a language in four weeks/in 24 hours/overnight!!"/"Your language prof hates him!!!"/"Learn languages the natural way like a baby!!!!" industry. It's hilarious stuff. I sometimes wonder if it has any effect in terms of creating unrealistic/inaccurate expectations among students entering language courses in school.
    ETA, what I perhaps love most about that cover is that it tells you that the content is inaudible. And it's an audio course.
  • I'm fascinated by the "Your language prof hates him" guy. The idea that someone could come up with this brilliant way to learn a foreign language, but the only way he can market himself is in cheap looking banner ads is awesome.

Craig
  • Yeah, the language learning industry has close parallels to the dieting and physical exercise program/equipment industries.
  • Which is better: Suzanne Sommers' Thigh-Declension Master or Chuck Norris' Total Conversational Russian?
  • Chuck Norris'. At least with him you might learn a dragon kick so when everyone laughs at your awful Russian you can take vengeance.

Craig
  • edited September 2012
    "When you have to go, you're Russian. When you're going European. When you're done you're Finnish."
    "Are you finnish ? . . . . . No, I'm Danish"
    - (A very old Danish joke).
  • Don't waste your downloads on that quackery. I will sell you my exclusive Homeopathic Lithuanian language treatment. It is prepared by soaking a half-dozen native speakers for 20 minutes in 104 degree (F) water that is continuously aerated and agitated by powerful pumps. The resulting extract is then potentized by the customary dilutions. I previously tried extracting the Lithuanians with ethanol which worked well enough and pleased the Lithuanians even more than the Jacuzzi, but the people who tried the preparation spoke badly slurred Lithuanian.
  • edited September 2012
    I should mention the treatment has some unusual side effects. The ethanol-based preparation's effects were predictably more severe.
  • Aš bandžiau Dr. Mutex's sistem? ir ji veikia puikiai!

Craig
  • edited February 2014
    61esf6-svmL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I don't know if this one has been posted before, but I just stumbled across it and it tickled my sense of humor.
    The last thing I need is a procrastination aid, I am plenty good enough at it already.
    And I doubt that it's nearly as effective as emusers.
    Though come to think of it, it was immediately effective even without me listening to it.
    Hmm. Back to work.