An old romance rekindled

edited September 2012 in General
Got an invite. Come to my apartment for a bottle of $10 wine. Couldn't resist. Got to talking and was told my comments were apprciated. The romance is on again. :-)

eMusic sent me a nice note on my post on eMusic relevancy. Was really nice to see that. Hadn't been thanked for any post to eMusic since Steve left, so was very nice to get such an email. Got some info that eMusic is seriously trying to address the sense of community and do something about lists. This and some additional wine has made me decide to stay with eMusic for a while longer than just the initial vist for the free wine.

Comments

• Very nice to hear they want to do something about lists. For all the legitimate reasons to complain there, I do sometimes wonder if what looks like indifference is in fact just sheer lack of capacity to get things done at a significant rate beyond keeping the thing in motion. Even the regular appearance of initiatives that last a month (like the ipad app and the member center and various incarnations of moderating) may well be a symptom mainly of understaffing + flailing.
  • Several times now independent developers have demonstrated that the defective features can be created from afar, despite the lack of an API. This includes:

Lists that worked correctly on Mixtaper.com (Gosatango & Yours Truly)
    Forums that worked correctly, first on Mixtaper, now here. (Free Software developers, Gosatango, Xtrev, Robin)
    Download manager that works correctly (Robin)
    New Releases list that actually show what was just added. (Rudy Fleminger, another developer in Germany I can't recall at the moment)
    Recovery of corrupted lists from archives (Yours Truly grabbed the top 100 lists, all the lists in bookmarks, and all the lists recommended in various threads when the lists were suddenly removed and then briefly reapeared)
    Various mashups. I think there was one for Last.fm