Mumford & Sons

edited October 2012 in Alternative
What's up with the Mumford & Sons? Anyone else find their universal popularity a little odd? I'm not complaining or trying to trash them or anything, but I just find it weird that they are breaking records and whatnot in this day and age. Anyone here a fan, big or not? I still point to their debut as one of the few albums that P4k did influence me on (I was borderline, they gave it a 2.1).

Comments

• I don't care for them, and have no idea why they are so beloved. I just always chalked it up to the fact that I'm not a fan of most folk based music so I can't get it.

Craig
  • In other news, many people have yet to notice that the Emperor is in fact naked.

/Like Mumford's energy, but Avett Brothers make better records.
  • edited October 2012
    I've used the fact that I'm not a fan of most folk based music as a reason to avoid bothering to listen to them at all. Maybe I should take a listen.
  • Whilst I do listen regularly to a lot of folk music, and have done for many decades, Mumford and Sons tends to fall into the 'take it or leave it' category for me. I'm not that worried about searching out the new album, but I'll probably borrow it out of the library if I see it there in a few months.

But I will say to Craig, give folk a try! I'm currently playing an EP by Lau Vs Katrine Polwart, which is not that far from some indie music. Two bands to start with are Bellowhead and Imagined Village. Between them they contain many of the 'stars' of English folk music, and are miles away from the traditional 'sea shanty' English folk music.
  • I have the 1st Mumford and Son realease but I agree with Greg, its very much take it or leave it.

Some other artist's I would reccomend would be the following:

1/ Jim Moray, folk with an electronica twist

2/ Sam Carter

3/ The Burns Unit. A collective including King Creoste, Katrine Polwart and Emma Pollack

4/Thom Carter and his alter ego Menhirs of Er Grah ( lots of his stuff on Bandcamp )
  • edited October 2012
    A good list Lowlife. I'd also add Eliza Carthy's recent albums, very much moving from folk to include elements of jazz and even rock. UK folk music is in a good state at the moment after several decades of stagnation from its 60s heyday. Being a purist, I tend to separate UK folk music into its component countries, but there is some overlap. I did do a MiG article early on which will give other lead-ins on English Folk Music.
  • I like folk music and I get Mumford and Sons, but I don't like it. Structurally, their songs are pop songs played on acoustic instruments in order to give them a folk feel, satisfying that urge for anthemic music without the layered electronics.
  • I think they're rather bland, which somehow translates into universal appeal because it has little chance to offend anyone.

Sound Opinions trashed their new album, pretty much saying most of you guys said. They also pointed out their using folk music without any of the depth the medium should offer. They offered a track by Richard Thompson "The Calvary Cross" as an example of what folk music should and can do. I sadly am unfamiliar with him, but loved this track, so I want to check him out soon.
  • Greg - I always give folk based stuff a shot. It just almost always leaves me cold (an exception is true bluegrass stuff, that works for some reason). Just a taste thing!

Craig
  • I agree with BT, Craig, Bellowhead are not like folk music as you might know. I suspect your reaction is a bit like mine to Country music, different country of origin, no direct cultural connection with it etc. However much I try the best I can take is country rock, certainly not Dolly Parton, which is my image of country music. And I know I am stereotyping and pre-judging and I shouldn't.
  • That's a fun tune and has enough of the celtic/bluegrass shared history that I do enjoy it. It's just not something that I'd put on all that often.

Greg - I don't know that it's a cultural thing. My wife and I are big into our English, Scottish, and Irish ancestry, so there are ties. Plus, my indifference extends to most americana based folk. Original country stars excepted (Johnny Cash et al.) because the sound was still so close to rhythm & blues.

Craig