Batten the hatches

edited October 2012 in General
I lost power last night around 8 or so and am now wondering just how much food I'll be throwing out later today. Other than that, the basement stayed dry and it looks like no damage to the house.

I saw some tweets and posts last night, but how is everybody doing in the wake (or path) of Sandy?

Comments

• edited October 2012
    We got the far leading edge of it last night, and with winds from the north, I was very nervous about some big trees behind our house to the north, but they held.

Power didn't even blink as far as I know, but my in-laws lost it a little bit to the west.

The center of the storm is supposed to hit us directly tomorrow night, but by then it's only supposed to be a depression.
  • Hope all ok to all on the East Coast of the USA, keep well and safe
  • Lost power for about an hour Monday evening. I thought I'd be going to bed with the generator running but about the time I had finished plugging things into the generator the lights came back on. I've still got the HD extension cords snaking thorough the house in case we loose power again but I'll be rolling them up in a few hours. We got the genny a few years ago after we calculated that it was cheaper than replacing the food in the fridge and freezers.
  • Lots of cold,wet rain: that's all we got. It was, in fact, the coldest tropical storm I've experienced. My in-laws in eastern CT lost power yesterday, and they had some difficulty with their generator.
  • Still have windows, and haven't lost power, the neighborhood isn't flooded, so I consider us lucky. Haven't been out - two trees down in front of the building - don't know if anything is open out there, but did stock up. Looks like I won't be getting in to the job in Manhattan for days probably, and our location there is without power. Enforced staycation in Queens for now. Hope all are OK.
  • Elwood's in Windsor, CT, which is north of Hartford (far from coastal flooding), but is close to the Connecticut River. It would take a day or two for the river to drain the area, so he might have problems in then.
  • Glad to hear you are all doing well!

Craig
  • We lucked out in Windsor, CT with just some heavy gusts and some rain. The river flooding appears to only be an issue farther south from around Middletown to the shoreline. Family in Delaware and southern New Jersey have all checked in safe and sound but we are still waiting to hear back from family in Brooklyn, they live just off the Verrazano Bridge.
  • I've just been watching 24 hour news - it looks horrendous.My sympathies to anyone affected. Apparently we could eventually get the tail end depending which way it veers, but it'll only be a storm by then
  • Thanks for checking in everyone - good hear folk are OK.
  • Looks like it'll be a few days without power for us at least. May borrow a generator from my sister, at the least I'll grab some spare UPS batteries at work tomorrow. But other than some lost food it's not so bad.

The area is an absolute mess, though. I can't believe the number of down trees around us - would have thought all the storms over the past couple of years would have taken care of them all.
  • I got back power last night. One of the lucky ones. Thankfully FiOS in my area wasn't effected, so I was able to hope on Guvera and start downloading like crazy...