Lists, Guides, and Introductions

edited November 2012 in General
I'm starting a discussion on various internet resources that anyone may come across (like the P4k best of).

A History of Rock and Dance Music: From the Guitar to the Laptop

Although an extensive history, with lots of great ideas, the site has a definite narrative: the development of experimental, progressive, and electronic music leading to contemporary electronic music. I've been checking out the appendix on French music.

Comments

• The "short version" on that site has countless spelling and syntax oddities make it very clear that it was written by someone who was not a naive English speaker. I wonder what "nevrastenic battage" is? That page also summarily dismisses James Brown by calling him "obscene." That alone puts his judgment in question.

"Nevrastenic Battage" would make a great band name, though, maybe for a punk band.
  • No, it's not for reading. The author has absorbed some works in musicology and produced an antiquarian catalog. It reads like the hastily put together appendix of a gigantic book of cool kids music. However, I've already found some interesting things.
  • There are certainly some intersting things there, BT, and I am sure that I may well find it useful. But it reminded me of the youtube link that someone, maybe amc2, put up a few weeks ago about people in a thousand years or so looking back to The Beatles era, but to a much lesser extent. I read through the section about the 64-67 era, and it was clearly written by someone looking back using secondary sources, rather than someone there or using primary sources. For example George Martin is compared to Brian Wilson as the creative talent behind the Beatles. If I was marking/grading an assignment with that statement, I would be putting something like No - evidence? The Beatles themselves were the key creative force that George Martin encouraged and supported. Assertions and perceptions were made about other artists that I do not recognise from that time. But still a useful source.
  • edited November 2012
    it was clearly written by someone looking back using secondary sources, rather than someone there or using primary sources.
    Ha! That's tantamount to saying he hasn't heard the music about which he writes (which seems obvious in some cases).

I regret saying that it has a "definite narrative": I think I gave the impression that it's worth reading as a book, which I did not intend. All I wanted to say is that the author had an idea where he wanted the book to go and where the development of rock music has been leading, not that it is a strong thesis, with strong arguments, that deserves consideration. If it were a map, I'd describe it as an itinerary, showing the relationship between places on a route without giving details of the roads and the topography. It would be useful, but bare bones, and it would leave us wanting for information.
  • A guide I find really useful is jazzdisco.org; very helpful in sorting out recordings and where to find them, especially from the 78 era, when things were released mostly as singles, a good example is early Thelonious Monk stuff.

Is that the kind of guides you were looking for with this thread?
  • I still think it is quite a useful site BT, and the thread is a good idea, thanks.
  • at amc: yes, places to get ideas, though aren't necessarily long on editorial content or criticism.

Music Story is the French version of AllMusic, though it's catalog of reviews aren't quite as extensive. It is, though, very useful in sorting out European releases, which can be dicey on AllMusic.
  • 2350.org is a very helpful listing of and guide to the legion of fax label ambient releases.
  • edited November 2012
    Europopmusic: the online magazine and encyclopedia about European pop and rock music is a quirky site of articles and reviews, covering popular music of Continental music. The authors are making a strong effort at covering East Central Europe: the lead article is "Bulgaria in 1968 Sunny beach, Golden Orpheus &15 minutes of protest," more of a look at politics and how it reverberated in music culture.
  • The Penguin Guide to Jazz has been my go-to place to explore music and read the reviews. I've purchased every edition starting with the 4th. "If only there were a listing that I could look at," I used to say. There are now two resources:

http://www.tomhull.com/ocston/nm/notes/pjazz-core.php lists the "core collection."
    http://people.ucalgary.ca/~ghfick/jazz.html lists all 4-star, crown, core and the 1001choices (vol 10 changed the focus to the top 1001). There are other lists, most of which seem to be gone.

Also, I visit the Prog Archives site to see what people have been listening to and read the reviews - it's not always easy to navigate, but a lot of love has been put into the site.
  • I just happened across this: http://acclaimedmusic.net/. It lists the most critically acclaimed albums by decade and year. (Useful for trawling for Guvera possibilities.)
  • I like this list a lot, and there are a few of them available on Guvera, and some of the available ones lead to interesting trails of other stuff when you look them up on allmusic or wikipedia:

The Wire: 100 Records that Set the World on Fire (When No One was Listening)

At another site (and that one includes an extra thirty too).

Also a bunch of the Wire's year end rewinds are available here and here.
  • You know all of those "1001 things to partake of before one perishes" books? They've got a website where you can freely peruse their lists which they apparently keep updated. At least enough so that albums from 5 years ago are on it

Ugh, just hopped on the Amazon page for the book and stupidly read a review. It was even written by someone who has written a book on music. And yet one of his complaints was the inclusion of "the non-music of Tortoise, , Orbital, Fatboy Slim, DJ Shadow,, LTJ Bukem, the Chemical Brothers, and Reprazent." WHAAAAA?!?! Must... listen... to... Endtroducing...
  • My top 20 (plus the next 20) for 2012 is now posted on Music is Good. If you want to peruse an end of year list that is less cluttered with all of that stuff that most folk have heard of and found worthwhile, this might be the one.
  • edited February 2013
    Ok - two additions.
    1. Robert Christgau - Dean of American Rock Critics. Has all of his ratings from 1969 onward as well as columns and his latest writings.

2. Julian's Rock List. He compiles lists form magazines, Christgau, Dave Marsh, etc. Do you want to know the 1,010 songs you must own, per Q Magazine from September 2004? It's here. The newest list appears to be the NME Greatest No1 Singles In History
    As appeared in 29th December 2012 issue, as Voted By Panel Of Current Crop Of Indie Pop Stars & NME Writers. Number1: The Beatles, "I Want to Hold Your Hand." Can you guess what the number 2 song is? That's right - Slade's "Mama Weer All Crazee Now." Don't know the criteria for this list, but how could you argue with that? What's that? You're ready to argue. Let me turn up the volume on Slade, which will drown out your puny arguments. We must all listen - nay, download, this track right now. Oddly, I haven't checked to see if it's on Guvera...(checking)...no! Well, it is available on EMusic.