Simon Said (Set my people free) August 2009

edited August 2009 in Diversions
This is the Simon said game play thread, a completely new and totally distinct game about finding and sharing great music. All styles and genres are welcome and encouraged. Any similarities to games you may have previously played are purely coincidental.

The game is designed to be an interesting long term no pressure distraction. You should be able to play at your own personal whim. It will be easy to disappear for weeks or months but pick up the game later with no difficulty.

Rules for the Simon said game

The purpose of the game is not to win but to play

It is based on the honor system so competition junkies may not find it fulfilling

The premise is simple

You win points by finding and making good music recommendations within an unspecified website. The boundaries of the game are limited only to the boundaries of the unspecified website. You make recommendations by posting in this and other threads, creating lists, linking to samples etc. In short, the whole of your existence on the unspecified website is included in game play. Consequently, people who don't even know they are playing can possibly win the game (and most likely will do so).

When someone likes your recommendations enough to download songs you've recommended they award points to you by:

1. Downloading the music (one point per track)
2. Creating and posting the downloaded music in a public list titled "Simon said" & indicating which month and year the points are awarded
3. Posting a notice within the game play thread listing the name and number of points awarded

It is extremely important that you create your Simon said list. This allows the rest of us to easily browse through the great music you have found. Including additional information and links back to the source of your find will help others find music they love as well.

As the game play lists for participants begins to grow they will serve as a beacon to folks as they sift through the unspecified website. When you click on a Simon said list you are viewing recommendations that have been vetted by the marketplace of ears.

On the last day of the month the player with the most cumulative points gets to sit in the chair of honor (Throne) for the following month. With this honor the winner receives the privilege of selecting one download that all game participants are honor bound to download and listen. The theory behind this is the winner will select a song that he/she feels is really important or good or simply in need of attention. The benefit to the rest of us is that we spend one download to buy a song we might otherwise have never downloaded and perhaps find some new music to enjoy.

With this winner's privilege also comes responsibilities. The named winner will function as the game play thread host/janitor. The duties are simply to reign over the game play thread. The winner is expected to:

1. Keep the game play thread near the front page so it can easily be found by posting to the thread during lulls in activity
2. Greet and instruct n00bies
3. Render judgments and interpretations on the finer points of game play
4. There are no known glitches at this website but one occurs you should ping the benevolent dictator
5. Keep yourself from becoming some sort of fascist.

Comments

• MrV won last month with 60 points. Congratulations! Now get on with your reign!
  • All hail his highness MrV!
  • edited August 2009
    10 points to Katrina for Jeff Black - Honey And Salt
    Very good album!

8 points to squark for Smetana Quartet - Mendelssohn-Bartholdy: Octet for Strings in E flat major; Piano Trio No. 1
    Excellent recommendation!

11 points to Dvorak9NW for Vladimir Ashkenazy - Rachmaninoff, Mussorgsky: Rare Rachmaninoff
    Beautiful music.

Thank you, MrV for the great recs last month! Waiting for your mandatory download.
  • edited August 2009
    6 points to garzamayer for Ansterdam Sinfonietta - Mendelssohn: Concerto for Violin, Piano And String Orchestra
    Another wonderful BIS recording.
  • Whoa, mommio's making this thread look all professional and whatnot. Two can play at that game... assuming I can remember the BBCode for underline.

51 points to Wesley for Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison (Legacy Edition)

4 points to elwoodicious (already got the 2 freebies) for Alan Wilkis - Pink and Purple

11 points to elwoodicious for Lizzy Parks - Raise the Roof

9 point to elwoodicious for Lizzy Parks - This and That
  • edited August 2009
    mommio, this is a radio song that always makes me cry when I hear it.
    You might like it.
    Track #4 from this, 100 Years.

I added the lyrics.

I`m 15 for a moment
    Caught in between 10 and 20
    And I`m just dreaming
    Counting the ways to where you are

I`m 22 for a moment
    And she feels better than ever
    And we`re on fire
    Making our way back from Mars

15 there's still time for you
    Time to buy and time to lose
    15 there`s never a wish better than this
    When you've only got 100 years to live...

I`m 33 for a moment
    I'm still the man, but you see I`m a dad with a
    A kid on the way, babe
    A family on my mind

I`m 45 for a moment
    The sea is high
    And I`m heading into a crisis
    Chasing the years of my life

Time to buy and time to lose yourself
    Within a morning star
    15 I`m alright with you
    15 there`s never a wish better than this
    When you've only got a 100 years to live...

Halftime goes by
    Suddenly you`re wise
    Another blink of an eye
    67 is gone
    The sun is getting high
    We`re moving on...

I'm 99 for a moment
    I`m dying for just another moment
    And I`m just dreaming
    Counting the ways to where you are

22 I feel her too
    33 you're on your way
    Every day's a new day...ooooo...

Time to buy and time to choose
    Hey 15 there`s never a wish better than this
    When you've only got 100 years to live...
  • Well done, Katrina! I heard John Ondrasik talking about (and singing) "Brothers in Arms" on a radio program, then just in the last week I heard "Chances" -- same program. The host is a fan. Although I really liked his music, I hadn't thought of looking for him, and I would not have looked for Five in Fighting, as I hadn't heard his pseudonym. So, more downloads to occur, and more points to be awarded to Katrina in days to come.
  • 8 points to NankerP for Johnny Cash - Johnny Cash Sings The Ballads Of The American Indian: Bitter Tears. No idea why they had to give it that long title.
  • 12 points to Katrina for Five For Fighting (John Ondrasik) - The Battle For Everything

Next download will be another Ondrasik, and since I discovered it through you, Katrina, the points will be yours, too. The above album was the basic one, not the enhanced one. I can't see using 12 credits for 5 tracks, 17 minutes of music. Since I want other albums, I will get the Album Only track from another full album that I want, then the other 4 tracks either individually -- or not, if they happen to be on other albums. Hmmm, that last bit sounds convoluted, but I know what I mean, so I guess that's all that matters.