5 Favorite Emusing Moments

edited January 2013 in General
You know with two little boys rampaging around my house, a job that tends to bleed over everything, and an insomniac five year old, I don't get to nearly post as much as I like, and often times when I do, I honestly haven't really read all the thread comments. Yet I've gotten tons of great music. So here's my list of great Emuser moments.

1) Free Music Thread - Two years back or so I realized there was an entire thread filled with free music. Discovering the world of net labels - especially because I dig ambient, electronic headphone tripping music, got me into experimental music.

2) Germanprof- One of my favorites is when I get a reviewer or fellow online poster who I know has similar tastes to my own. Germanprof has been nearly full proof for recs and free downloads.

3) Guvera - Clicking on adverts for free music. Love it. I never imagined that I would have enough of the Blue Note and ECM back catalog.

4) African Label Free Day - I wish I could even remember the name, but while I've gotten tons of great albums, those albums I actually feel guilty I did not pay one cent for. Three of my fav downloads of the year and I got a better rip of K'naan. Great spirit and consciousness and great music.

5) Drip FM - I finally had a year when I felt like I knew a lot of recent releases. Never would have known of its existence with you emusers.

Comments

• Thanks, Sort - always nice to know recs are being picked up. One of my favorite things about emusers in general would chime in with that: while there is no time for all of us to listen to each other's music, I love the various moments when one of us posts something and others pick it up. It's what makes this more than random posting - the moments of small connection through music. And closely related to that, all the times I've started listening to something I would not even have looked twice at (because outside my usual orbit) if a human being whose thoughts I respect on here had not recommended it, and have then found to be rather wonderful. That has happened to me from just about every regular poster on here, I think.

Another thing I really, really appreciate here is that it's such a consistently constructive and respectful conversation environment, which is not a given on the internet.

I'd agree on #3 and #4 - the Lokua Kanza album that I got with the free African stuff has remained a favorite and I'm just now exploring K'Naan.
  • Without emusers my musical interests would be far narrower, I have listened to, downloaded and appreciated all sorts of things I would never even known existed. And one of the great joys of emusers is that you never know in advance where you are going. I came across that Africa haul just by chance whilst searching Bandcamp for something else. Whilst I do like Lokua Kanza and K'Naan, the artist I liked mostfrom that batch was Asa. But that is what emusers is all about - exploration and appreciation of great music. I only wish I could join the Guvera bandwagon!
  • I agree with Greg, E Musers has opened my eyes to a whole amount of different music, some which is challenging and other times re discovering music I have forgotten about.

Its also wonderful to have civil converstaions between people even when we do not agree about certain things which is not much. One of my highlights was the finding of the Eno Textures album as well as other albums such as Mathew Halsall and other jazz music.

Yes I would love to join the Guvera bandwagon as well but I take comfort in knowing that I can get good reviews and enough tips of music to keep my ears happy and my hard disk full