JUJ, it's February

edited February 2013 in General
I miss your celebrations of Black History month, JUJ.

In honor of those who have had an enormous impact on our society, I encourage you to download the free (perhaps today only) Kindle ebook, Up From Slavery: An Autobiography by Booker T. Washington.

Reminder: You don't need a Kindle. Download the app for your computer. Non-US folks, this may not be free for you.

Comments

• Thanks, Mommio. Downloaded.
  • edited February 2013
    Hi Mommio

I miss "Black by Popular Demand" too.

Unfortunately, the tyranny of responsibility will not allow me to mock and afflict the smug, uninformed, self satisfied denizens who inhabit these internets with the melt in your mouth brutality of unvarnished truth wrapped in a tasty hard candy shell.

Ahhh, good times

But fear not, a box set of my greatest hits can still be found here and here and here and here for those who wish to traipse down memory lane.

There were two years worth of BBPD on emusers but I can only find one of them. Somebody help me out with the other one.

Some of the links are dead and I am surprised they still exist (thanks Mordac) but they still hold up amazingly well after the passing of so much time.

Oh, and thanks for the freebie Kindle book link on Booker T. Washington

In the spirit of the season here is your little known black history fact of the day.

Booker T. Washington and another preeminent post reconstruction black culture leader W.E.B. Dubois (founder of the NAACP) engaged in a heated disagreement, that is still being waged to this very day, about the best way for colored people to bring themselves up from the fruits of slavery. Washington advocated vocational training in the skills needed to make the severely miseducated masses of newly freed Negroes indispensable in a rapidly growing but viciously racists America such as brick masonry. Dubois, on the other hand, advocated creating a vanguard of super Negroes, the Talented Tenth or ten percent, to advance the interests of black peoples in America through education and achievement. hmmm

Maybe some of you with a little more free time on your hands can research the internets to produce a little known black history month facts thread.
  • edited February 2013
    Somebody help me out with the other one.
    This one ?
  • That's the cheat sheet for one of the threads that somebody requested because they could open the links at work.

But I was thinking that I did BBPD for at least two separate years after we made the jump to emusers. So there should be another thread somewhere.
  • edited February 2013
    Okay, JUJ. This one wasn't known to me, but because of her accomplishments, she may be known to some of you -- Camilla Williams.

A couple of days ago one of the local news stations posted a link to an article that began this way:
    From 1917 to 1950, The Louisville Leader told the stories important to the African American community. Now it's time to move the paper into the digital age with your help.

The Louisville Leader captured the African American community's headlines -- war, segregation, the Klan.

"It covered national news of relevance to the African American community but it also covered society stories, stories about African American businesses," said Rachel Howard, Digital Initiatives Librarian at the University of Louisville.
    Many editions of the newspaper were lost in a warehouse fire, but what remained eventually ended up at U. of L. The microfilm is available, but not easily searchable, so volunteers were invited to transcribe articles to bring the paper to the digital age. I jumped right in. The stories, society news, and editorials are interesting. I transcribed an article about a concert by Camilla Williams here in October 1949. The Marian Anderson awards, Madame Butterfly, and Aida were mentioned in the glowing review. I had never heard of Camilla Williams, so I went to Google. My, what a strong, talented, and admirable woman. An article from the Washington Post shared both the successes and the problems she faced related to race. There are links to other newspaper articles about her when she died in early 2012. There is a You Tube tribute (just google for lots of links), but the best, in my opinion is this one, from Indiana University:

1919-2012 A Tribute to Camilla Williams
  • Well done mommio.

I learned something new.

Thanks