Hello, again.

edited March 2013 in General
Well, here I am, back again. I took some time off from acquiring new tunes last summer when the power pack on the old iMac gave out. I never did figure out how to transfer all the iTunes music stats over to the mac mini, so I had well over 43,000 songs that weren't rated or listened to on the mini. I just couldn't bring myself to download anything else till I put a dent into that number and with just one computer in the house it's not been easy (Darn those Sims). It doesn't appear it will get much easier once my wife gets a hold of the new Simcity 5 for Mac. At any rate, as of today I only have another 39,195 tracks that haven't been been played yet.

I'm sorry to say that I have purposely avoided checking in here and at emusic to see what folks are up to. A quick glance here shows I've got some reading to catch up on and it appears nothing's changed over at emusic (SSDD). I plan to start another garden experiment, so I'll probably sign up again because it's still the only place in Canada where I can find some tunes for $.49/track.

-Howard

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Hi ! - Very nice to see your name again.

- Just a suggestion as a starting point, the last entry on the New & Notable Classical thread:
    artworks-000036502173-h5q755-crop.jpg?271c828
    - "Composer Nick Brooke’s sweeping and epic Border Towns exists at its own kind of border: a place where chance meets meaning, where the detritus of popular culture meets the compositional process, where a chorus of seven voices meets chunks and fragments of familiar music, in the process becoming strange and revelatory. Border Towns is an encyclopedic mash-up of Americana, a collision of recordings from the geographical and psychological edges. Yodels, anthems, ambient sounds & fringe broadcasts are layered in perfect lockstep with singers, who meld their voices with a sampled collage of sound effects, songs, and musical ephemera.

Brooke’s suite (originally performed live as a stage version at HERE in New York) was inspired by the border blasters of the 1950s: giant radio transmitters placed just over the border in Mexico, beyond U.S. jurisdiction, with the intention of blasting culture directly into American homes. Far more powerful than U.S. stations, they often overwhelmed local stations as far north as Minnesota and New York City.

As the New York Times observed, “[Brooke] intricately mashes up a dense collection of familiar and obscure musical quotations along with commonplace noises to make a fascinating score.” Intertwined with a chorus of seven singers, the work moves in fits and starts in places before rising to towering crescendo then crashing into silence again. Each piece may be a fragment, but the whole is something altogether different, at once familiar and alien, and an intriguing exploration of musical Americana from the 1940s to the present."

Innova Recordings - Soundcloud - Soundcloud 2 - http://www.nbrooke.com/

brooke_160x240.jpg
    - "Border Towns began as an encyclopedic mash-up of musical Americana. I was intrigued by
    those people who were chosen, willingly or not, to map America: Copland, Dylan, Robeson,
    Springsteen, Montana, Anderson, Foster, yet whose song meanings had been bent to new ends
    in the popular ear. I started with the question “what is listened to here?” In every town, that
    question gets answered differently, depending on whether you are scanning the airwaves, at a
    school, or visiting a historical society. More often than not, what’s offered up as local are
    representations: Gene Autry is sold in one town; mariachi, now silent in some ways, becomes
    a borderlands icon.

Musical locality could have vanished long before the internet or MP3 in the age of the border
    blaster; those 100+kW transmitters, placed just over the border in Mexico, that were designed
    to be heard as far as Minnesota and New York. They beamed country and R & B in the 50s and
    60s, songs sometimes rarely heard on U.S. airwaves. Some singers such as Patsy Montana had
    a second career, just over the border, on these X-stations.

Border Towns began with a collection of musical samples and physical gestures, collected on
    visits to 11 towns at the literal fringes of the U.S. Interviews, radio station monitoring,
    historical society visits, sound walks, and statistical research all contributed to this
    collection. I’m not interested in portraying any border towns, but instead in creating an
    alternate musical universe that reinvents Americana, and that questions how we hear and see
    location in music. Turning documentarians such as Lomax on their heads, I’ve gone out,
    collected recordings that were presented to me as “local”, and reassembled them into
    traditions of my own making."

- Nick Brooke from the linernotes.
  • edited March 2013
    It's darn near spring and I couldn't be happier, even though the garden still has about 3' freeze/thaw snow sitting on it, and another 5-10 cm of wet snow coming in on Thursday, I'm ecstatic. I've been sneaking in a bit of fun by pulling back the rug on the compost heap and practicing turning over a bunch of good sized clumps of whatnot, in preparation. It arrives at 5:02 am here

Let's start all over again!!!
  • So good to hear from you!
  • as of today I only have another 39,195 tracks that haven't been been played yet
    I know that feeling. I recently decided to hold off on any more Guvera d/ls until I've gone through my music download folder and either deleted or incorporated everything in there. Something about shoveling something against the tide comes to mind.
  • Ugh, sorry about the iMac. The all in one design pretty much equals no user serviceable parts. I had my CD/DVD drive fail with a disc in it a few years ago. The labor was more than the new drive.

I've been holding off on getting much music, too. One part budgetary, but just as much realizing (and still realizing) that I have large amounts of music I rarely listen to.