I CARE IF YOU LISTEN - Spring 2013 Mixtape

edited March 2013 in Mixtapes
Dear All,

I apologize if being present here only to post links to my mixtapes is not really friendly/appropriate. Feel free to let me know and I'll stop.

I just wanted to let you know that the Spring 2013 Mixtape is available here:

http://www.icareifyoulisten.com/spring-2013-mixtape/

Spring-2013-Mixtape-Cover.jpg

It is always free and available for 3 months only.

Note that people can submit tracks here:

http://www.icareifyoulisten.com/about/submit-mixtape

Thank you,
-Thomas
Founder/EiC of I CARE IF YOU LISTEN.com

Comments

• Well, I for one never download from a guy on the first date.
  • Hi Thomas, Thank you very much. AFAIC you are welcome anytime.

@Nerf : Thomas is safe company. He would never lure you to do anything you (or I) wouldn't do.
  • edited March 2013
    @Ib: Thanks a lot! And thanks for sharing this opera project with me...

@Nerf: I'm all for safe download these days. You never can tell where some MP3s have been.
  • We appreciate mixtapes, some of us even make a few now and again.. Of course we'd love it if you'd stick around and chat.
  • edited March 2013
    In relation to the Winter "Mixtape":

Track 2 By David Crowell's brilliant Empyrean Atlas project is on Bandcamp:
    267699056-1.jpg
    - on a selftitled "name your price" EP released 19 February 2013

And speaking about David Crowell, this was posted by yours truely about a year ago on the N&N classical thread:

300x300.jpg
    - "Conceptually unifying Eucalyptus, the new album by composer David Crowell, is its focus on music for multiples of the same instrument. Textural similarity coincides with the ideal of egoless composition, no voice more or less important than another, all combining to form a greater whole. Yet each piece on this record has its own character and personal significance.

The title track, Eucalyptus, begins with a long look at the fundamental law of all sound, the overtone series. As the ear perceives hidden tones inside each saxophone note, pulsating and surrounding the fundamental, the simple chord becomes more interesting, complex and hypnotic. Subtle electronic manipulation illuminates and further unlocks the notes above the notes. Meanwhile, fast lines accumulate, flying above the waves like a flock of singing geese. . . . ."

- More @ Innova Recordings

davidCrowell.jpeg * 155x155.jpg > > >
    New York City-based composer and instrumentalist DAVID CROWELL:
    - "Brings a “singular vision that transcends genre” (Exclaim!) to diverse forms of composed and improvisational music.

David’s chamber works have been performed at the Tribeca New Music Festival, the MATA Festival, Festival Internacional Chihuahua, the Bang on a Can Summer Music Festival, ClefWorks Music Festival, the Everson Museum of Art, the Eastman School of Music, University of North Texas, California State University, University of Montana, Tennessee Tech, University of Kentucky, and Brooklyn College by groups such as the JACK Quartet, the NOW Ensemble, Syracuse Symphony Quartet, Redshift Ensemble, and the University of Kentucky Percussion Society. In New York City, his work has been featured at Merkin Hall, Le Poisson Rouge, the Stone, Barbes, Gallerie Icosahedron, Tonic, Galapagos Art Space, the Knitting Factory, Joe’s Pub and the Tank. As a composer, David has received recognition and support from ASCAP, Innova Recordings, the New York State Music Fund, Bang-on-a Can, MATA, Society for New Music, and ClefWorks.

As a woodwinds performer, David tours internationally as a member of the Philip Glass Ensemble (since 2007) and has also performed with the L.A. Philharmonic, the L.A. Master Chorale, the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, Signal Ensemble, Argento Ensemble, L’Arsenale, at the Bang on a Can Marathon and the Bang on a Can Summer Music Festival. David has recorded with the Philip Glass Ensemble, Signal Ensemble, Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean (Epic), Ken Thomson, and Anti-Social Music. He is working on a collaborative CD with performance artist, Paul Amlehn, whose sound art exhibitions have shown at numerous museums in collaboration with musicians such as Robert Fripp and Joan Jeanrenaud.

His piece, “Waiting in the Rain for Snow” has been recorded by the NOW Ensemble, and was released by New Amsterdam on NOW Ensemble’s sophomore release, Awake, in 2011. The piece was reviewed by Jeffrey Edelstein of Crane Arts Center as “a splash of jazzy joy; minimalist-inflected motifs buoyed by interchanging rhythms, absorbing crescendos, and abrupt dynamics,” “slow burning of intensity” (New Haven Advocate) and “appropriately liquescent” (Classical Review). The album itself has received much praise and was lauded by NPR, allowing it to reach #2 on the Amazon Classical Music charts. Crowell is also a performer on William Brittelle’s album Television Landscape.

A graduate of the Eastman School of Music, David has studied composition with Michael Gordon, David Lang, Julia Wolfe, Paul Caputo and Jonathan Dawe; woodwinds with Andrew Sterman; and improvisation with Ralph Alessi, Don Byron, Peter Epstein, Steve Coleman and Ravi Coltrane through New York’s School for Improvisational Music."

- New Amsterdam Records.
    - http://davidcrowell.org/
  • Thanks @choiceweb0pen0! I'll try to be more present...

@Brighternow: David is such a brilliant/nice guy. I will try to feature him more on the blog/magazine.
  • I'm totally in love with the opening track, Luke Gullickson's coverversion of Bob Dylan's "All I really want to do"