Emusers Exclusive Bang on a Can & Cantaloupe Music Thread

124»

Comments

• httpsf4bcbitscomimga1788966388_14jpg
    The London show last Friday was a wonderful evening.
    Here's what we heard:

John Adams: The Chairman Dances (Foxtrot for orchestra)
    Julia Wolfe: Flower Power (UK premiere)
    Interval
    Martland: Horses of instruction
    Philip Glass: Symphony No.3 for string orchestra
  • edited March 2020
    djh said:
    The London show last Friday was a wonderful evening.
    Here's what we heard:

John Adams: The Chairman Dances (Foxtrot for orchestra)
    Julia Wolfe: Flower Power (UK premiere)
    Interval
    Martland: Horses of instruction
    Philip Glass: Symphony No.3 for string orchestra
    Thanks, it seems to have been quite a special evening.
    Unfortunately Denmark is to small a country to attract an event like this. (I think)

- As a Cantaloupe at Bandcamp subscriber, there's newsletters coming my way now and again:
    We’re especially excited to bring you these two new titles this May, each of which marks a significant milestone in the history of Cantaloupe Music.

Michael Gordon’s poignant choral work Anonymous Man, performed by The Crossing, is essentially a memoir about his New York City neighborhood. From “It’s Julie Passing Through Town,” a love song that tells the story of how Gordon met his wife, composer Julia Wolfe, to “I First Noticed Robinson,” which recounts, in rhythmically charged fashion, Gordon’s conversations with a homeless man living on his block, Anonymous Man tells a story that’s intimate, engaging and viscerally real.

Meanwhile, Meredith Monk’s MEMORY GAME, a monumental team-up with Meredith Monk, her Vocal Ensemble, and the Bang on a Can All-Stars, is a bristling collection — part retrospective, part sonic blast into the future — that showcases the vocal prowess of an indefatigable master of experimental music. Monk and the All-Stars will present MEMORY GAME in its entirety at this year’s Big Ears Festival in Knoxville (March 29), and again at the inaugural Long Play Festival in NYC (May 1). We hope you can join us!

Until next time, we thank you, as always, for your support!!!

Adam, Bill, & Cassie

• edited April 2020

• edited June 2020
    I really enjoy my Cantaloupe subscription, especially when a subscriber exclusive like this one shows up:
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga0340150163_14jpg
    released June 5, 2020
    When I am alone was commissioned by the Pulitzer Arts Foundation in Saint Louis for the reopening of the redesign of their building in 2015. It was originally written for ‘mumbling choir’ and was performed by hundreds of singers from the Saint Louis Symphony Chorus, the Webster University Chorus, and the Saint Louis Children’s Choir.

The solo version of when I am alone, sung by Caroline Shaw, was adapted with the help of my frequent collaborator Jody Elff, specifically for use by the artist Suzanne Bocanegra in her installation Poorly Watched Girls at the Fabric Workshop and Museum in Philadelphia, in 2019
    - David Lang.
  • Christine Southworth & Evan Ziporyn - Drone Zone
    released June 18, 2020
    Composed improvisation by Christine Southworth and Evan Ziporyn, performed at Bang on a Can Summer Institute of Music @ Mass MoCA, North Adams, Massachusetts. Christine Southworth performs Highland Bagpipes with The Drone Zone in a new composed improvisation (led by Southworth and Ziporyn) based on music by LaMonte Young and Arnold Dreyblatt, for bagpipe, baritone saxophones, and strings.
  • edited August 2020

• No Return: River Impressions 2002
    released August 15, 2020
    Evan Ziporyn
    (b. 1959, Chicago) makes music at the crossroads between genres and cultures, east and west. He studied at Eastman, Yale & UC Berkeley with Joseph Schwantner, Martin Bresnick, & Gerard Grisey. He first traveled to Bali in 1981, studying with Madé Lebah, Colin McPhee's 1930s musical informant. He returned on a Fulbright in 1987.

Earlier that year, he performed a clarinet solo at the First Bang on a Can Marathon in New York. His involvement with BOAC continued for 25 years: in 1992 he co-founded the Bang on a Can All-stars (Musical America's 2005 Ensemble of the Year), with whom he toured the globe and premiered over 100 commissioned works, collaborating with Nik Bartsch, Iva Bittova, Don Byron, Ornette Coleman, Brian Eno, Philip Glass, Meredith Monk, Thurston Moore, Terry Riley and Tan Dun. He co-produced their seminal 1996 recording of Brian Eno's Music for Airports, as well as their most recent CD, Big Beautiful Dark & Scary (2012). . . .

• edited September 2020

Cantaloupe Music, september 25, 2020
    When asked about three of his signature orchestral works — the Grammy-winning Become Ocean, its sequel Become Desert, and the original source Become River (previously unreleased as an official recording until now) — composer John Luther Adams refers to them collectively as “a trilogy that I never set out to write.”

Become River, composed for chamber orchestra, was the first of the three, although it began while Adams was working on Become Ocean for the Seattle Symphony. “Steven Schick and I were having dinner together,” he recalls, “and I went on at length about the music I’d begun to imagine. ‘So you’re already composing a symphonic ocean,’ Steve said. ‘Maybe for a smaller orchestra you could go ahead and compose that river in delta.’ He had me, and I knew it. Within a week I’d begun work on Become River.”

Collected here for the first time, with newly remastered versions of Become Ocean and Become Desert by acclaimed engineer Nathaniel Reichman, The Become Trilogy pays tribute to a magical partnership between Adams, conductor Ludovic Morlot and the renowned Seattle Symphony. As a whole, the music speaks both to the meditative solace of solitude, and the universally shared experience of living, giving and interacting as a citizen of the world.

• djhdjh
    edited October 2020
    I see BOAC have another Marathon tomorrow. As ever the time difference will stop me from listening live which is a shame. Are these performances available to stream later? I know that the live stream is free / NYOP I wouldn't mind paying to listen on demand.

Looking at the archive site canland.org there appears to be no highlights after summer 2018.
  • edited December 2020
    Here's Nels Cline and Yuka C. Honda's mindblowing performance from the latest online Marathon event:
    The thing Yuka is operating is a Yamaha TENORI-ON

- In my view a historical Marathon event !
  • Oh Yes ! . . . and:

24 NONSTOP HOURS OF MUSIC!!!
    December 24, 2020 – January 1, 2021

• PROGRAM

(order to be determined)

ALVIN LUCIER new work performed by MARK STEWART

AMIR ELSAFFAR new work performed by KEN THOMSON

BORA YOON new work performed by herself

EVE BEGLARIAN new work performed by LARA DOWNES

GABRIEL KAHANE new work performed by ARLEN HLUSKO

GREGORY SPEARS new work performed by DAVID BYRD-MARROW

INGRID LAUBROCK new work performed by herself

JAKHONGIR SHUKUR new work performed by ROBERT BLACK

JENNIFER WALSHE new work performed by herself

JOEL THOMPSON new work performed by ANTHONY ROTH COSTANZO

JOHN HOLLENBECK new work performed by DAVID COSSIN

KRISTINA WOLFE new work performed by MOLLY BARTH

MARÍA HULD MARKAN SIGFÚSDÓTTIR new work performed by CHI-CHI NWANOKU

MATTHEW SHIPP new work performed by himself

MOLLY HERRON new work performed by MAYA STONE

ROHAN CHANDER new work performed by VICKY CHOW

• A blast from last year’s Marathons:

Ian Chang LIVE at the Bang on a Can Marathon 2020

Terry Riley LIVE at the Bang on a Can Marathon 2020
    Christopher Cerrone - Liminal Highway
  • edited February 2021

PROGRAM

(subject to change – check back for updates)

1PM

JAKHONGIR SHUKUR Potter’s Wheel, performed by ROBERT BLACK

JENNIFER WALSHE Happiness Starts Right Now

MARIA HULD MARKAN SIGFUSDOTTIR Pending, performed by CHI-CHI NWANOKU OBE

GABRIEL KAHANE Hollywood & Vine, performed by ARLEN HLUSKO

2PM

GREGORY SPEARS A Distant Ridge of Earth, performed by DAVID BYRD-MARROW

KRISTINA WOLFE new work performed by MOLLY BARTH

AMIR ELSAFFAR Thaw, for bass clarinet solo, performed by KEN THOMSON

BORA YOON Postcards from the Pacific

3PM

MATTHEW SHIPP Spaceman’s Blues

JOEL THOMPSON Supplication and Compensation, performed by ANTHONY ROTH COSTANZO

ROHAN CHANDER △ or THE TRAGEDY OF HIKKOMORI LOVELESS from FINAL//FANTASY, performed by VICKY CHOW

DAVID COSSIN A. C. T. 

4PM

EVE BEGLARIAN A Solemn Shyness, performed by LARA DOWNES

INGRID LAUBROCKInkblots

MOLLY HERRON Canon No. 4, performed by MAYA STONE

ALVIN LUCIER  Weirs for electric guitar and resonant objects, performed by MARK STEWART

**********************************************************************************************

Gabriel Kahane commissioned with support from Raulee Marcus & Stephen Block
    Rohan Chander commissioned with support from Maria & Robert A. Skirnick
    Alvin Lucier commissioned with support from Jane & Dick Stewart
    Jakhongir Shakur commissioned with support from Liz & Greg Lutz and Pamela Drexler
    Joel Thompson commissioned with support from Dave Lake & Linda Wright
    Jennifer Walshe commissioned with support from Richard Ferrante
    María Huld Markan Sigfúsdóttir commissioned with the support of the Carl Meier Family
    Matthew Shipp commissioned with the support of Jack Homer & Emily Hartzog
    Eve Beglarian commissioned with the support of Oscar Gerardo

• And a notice from Ethan Iverson (no longer with Bad Plus) about William Robin's book on BOAC:

Industry: Bang on a Can and New Music in the Marketplace by William Robin is a riveting history of art and business in the 80’s and 90’s. It reads like a thriller: recommended.

While reading I also caught up with more of the extensive repertoire composed and curated by David Lang, Michael Gordon, and Julia Wolfe, that was good to do as well.

Robin occasionally pans out from BOAC to the larger spectrum; the chapter how the hit recording of Henryk Górecki’s Third Symphony affected the record industry was revelatory.

Alex Ross has more on Industry, as does the relevant Robin webpage.

• Thanks - wishlisted!
  • Thanks for the reminder Kindle edition snatched as my first download after 48 hours with no Virgin Broadband.