Steve Young

kezkez
edited June 2013 in Country & Folk
600x600.jpg

Steve Young is one of my all-time favorite artists, discovered quite by accident years ago when I came across his CD, "Switchblades of Love" at a used CD store. The cover had caught my eye and the fact that it was on the defunct (I think) Watermelon label, which I knew was good for putting out worthy contemporary folk/country-type stuff. Even still, I was hesitant to take a chance on it, so I decided to leave the store without it and first google it to see what I could find out about it . I had never heard of this guy, Steve Young. Maybe I wouldn't like his stuff. Well, a google search for the album garnered numerous raving reviews of "Switchblades of Love," so I didn't waste too much time going back to that store and buying it. It has proven to be one of my desert island albums.

I happened to notice tonight that emusic carries this album, but, alas, it has not a single member rating nor member review. This is just not right. 'Switchblades of Love' is a true classic that more people should know about. If I was still an emusic member, it would have at least one 5-star rating and at least one review, too, for I would waste no time in lauding its praises.

I posted this thread under the category of 'country,' but Switchblades is not really a strictly country album. It is true that Steve Young got his start in the music business back in the '70s as one of those outlaw singers like Waylon Jennings and some others, but Young's talents extend beyond pigeon-holing him to a single category. First of all, his voice is out-of-this-world amazing. He has one of those very, very strong voices that few singers have - think Van Morrison, although Young doesn't sound anything like Morrison. When I investigated Switchblades after leaving that store without it, one of the reviews that convinced me to go back and buy it had described Young's voice as one of those that hits you hard and nails you to the wall and keeps you there. 'Tis true. He can sing gentle love songs, rockers, and barn-burners equally well. He is a top-notch songwriter, too. He wrote 'Seven Bridges Road.'

Anyway, just wanted to bring this excellent album to the attention of any emusic members who like country/rock/folk type music. If so, 'Switchblades of Love' is essential listening for you.

I'll make it easy for you - here's the emusic link to the album so you can check out the soundclips.

(P.S. The title track (track 2) is seriously rockin' stuff with some very nice guitar. Oh, also - this album sounds best played really loud, IMO.)

Comments

• I also love Steve Young (none available for me on eMu though alas). He does get overlooked but his first album in the late 60s had Gram Parsons, Gene Clark, James Burton on it - he really as part of the pioneering generation of country rock etc. I saw him ata gig in Sydney about 15 years ago but I don't think he's been back since. I love the Solo/Live album, particularly "All her Lovers Want to Be the Hero"
  • edited June 2013
    Well, I couldn't help but add myself to your thread. It's like deja vu. I know I've been here before, I believe it was Simon Sez or Mary Gauthier. At any rate, thanks for making me think about that album again. I got Primal Scream at that time. I've got it on cassette, (I haven't played a cassette in years) and it's also not available to us Canadians. It really is a great recording.

ps Loud is good