Calling all emusers - MiG Charity Challenge

edited December 2013 in General
OK, here's a wild idea along the lines of 'emusers gives back', let's see if it has legs....

This album:
a2547542103_2.jpg
contains 122 tracks of IDM, electronica, ambient, and modern classical, costs $10/GBP6 and is being sold to raise money for the MacMillan cancer charity.

What if at least 5-6 emusers each listened to it (you could buy it/donate or just stream it if you want)...
and then each wrote 50-75 words about their favorite track and what they liked about it....

(For those daunted by writing about instrumental music, consider: what mood does it evoke for you? What does it make you think of? Does it sound like/different from any familiar reference points? Does it have an interesting rhythm or texture or melody? Does it change in any ways that surprise you or draw your attention as it progresses? What does it go well with in terms of what you do while listening to it? Does it conjure up any scenes or images in your imagination? Is it peaceful/joyful,abrasive...or what? Work through that and you'll easily have enough words.)

...and then we gather them into a MiG article to help promote the album and raise more money for cancer support.

If this seems like an interesting idea and you could commit to doing this by, say January 15? sign below (so that two or three people don't waste their time on something that doesn't fly).
I can gather the pieces together mid January with some framing narrative.

If this is crazy talk, then as you were.
David

Comments

• Well, I *suppose* I can participate. :)

Craig
  • Yeesh. It's over 11 hours. January 15 would be the absolute earliest.

Craig
  • edited December 2013
    Later is fine. It's because there are so many tracks that I thought most people would be able to find one they liked, maybe skimming some of the rest to pick...
  • It's quite good so far.

Craig
  • edited December 2013
    I will definitely have a go GP, especially as it is for a charity that I am committed to. Fifteen years ago they were an enormous support during my (then) wife's final weeks. But again it will be mid January before I can seriously listen to it all and write something
  • Thanks, Greg. No need for any tight timeline.
  • Just checking whether we want to go through with this with the three of us.
  • Yeesh. I totally forgot. I'd have to go back and do some more listening!

I'm still in, though, if you and Greg are.

Craig
  • Yes I'm OK, I admit I'd forgotten this.
  • No worries, I have not been near it since going on the road either.
  • The Future Sound of London tracks (40 + 41) are awesome !
    - That's really all I can say, for now.
  • Ah, Brighternow, we'll coax you into journalism yet. If you could maybe expand that "awesome" into, say, three sentences on why you like them I'll add it to the piece! In Danish if you like.
  • edited February 2014
    I suck big time as a review writer, even in Danish.
  • Ah, but this time you have a great editor :-).
  • I think I can find the time for some listening, too.