50 Greatest Jazz Albums of all time?

edited January 2015 in General
I got an email the uDiscover site that has a post on the 50 Greatest Jazz Albums of All Time. Hey! I have all 50. Of course, like most lists I'm not sure I agree with all the selections, but it's a strong list nonetheless.

Comments

• I have 12. That is waaaaay more than I would have guessed I have. Thanks Guvera!

Craig
  • I think I have 23 if I counted right. And I see a couple in there that I actively chose not to have after listening to them.
  • There may be 10 or 12 I don't have...Like Craig said, thanks Guvera!
  • There must be something wrong with that list because I have about 35 of them at least - who'd a thunk? Thanks to Guvera, and I have to say thanks to eMu also mostly because of the binge of 5-6-7 track jazz albums I went on before they switched to album mode.
  • I've got 9 of the top 10, but only 14 in total, not having had the benefit of Guvera. A useful list though to go through on emusic, especially as we still have credits. I could do with that £100 bonus some got a few weeks ago!!
  • I've got 29-36; I'm sure of 29, there's 6 that I might have, (sad that I can't say for sure), and I think my discount Charlie Parker box set covered all the Savoy and Dial sessions...

So; goal - figure out what I have and get to know it all better. I'll let you know my progress in say 20 years or so.
  • I have 3:
    1. Miles Davis – Kind of Blue
    36. The Mahavishnu Orchestra With John McLaughlin – Inner Mounting Flame
    47. Weather Report – Heavy Weather
  • There must be something wrong with that list because I have about 35 of them at least - who'd a thunk?

I think that's explained by the fact that, looking closer, this list is about as straight down the middle as it could be. Not that that's a bad thing, because it's actually a very strong "starter" list of albums to be familiar with. A few idiosyncrasies, including complete absence of Dizzy Gillespie.

One notes they are offering some pretty pricy vinyl versions of some of these albums at the shop link. You have to give props to their marketing campaign, given their success in getting this email out to music-obsessed people like us!