Pros and Cons of trashing an old junky turntable vs. giving it away.

edited March 2015 in General
I am upgrading my turntable next month. Upgrading isn't really the correct term because I haven't used my current one for about a decade (since the stylus degraded). I just own it. Anyway, I'm debating between trashing this thing vs. trying to find somebody who wants it. On the one hand, I feel like there might be somebody out there who wants a free turntable and is willing to invest the $25 dollars necessary to get a stylus.

On the other hand, I feel like the time for cheap turntables has come and gone. So I feel like this thing should be put out of its misery.

Thoughts?

For reference, it is a Magnavox FP 7130

EDITED to remove about 57 brain farts.

Comments

• Personally I always try to avoid the landfill, plus there are lots of (mostly younger) people out there looking for turntables. I recently sold off the last of my large vinyl album collection. About a month later my son started collecting vinyl. Go figure. Try freecycle (if you have it in your area) or craigslist.
  • I agree re young people. I have a 17-year-old daughter who is regularly made joyful by old tech finds in yard sales. At worst find a thrift store/charity shop to give it to.
  • You might even get $5 on ebay?
  • Same here, I really hate sending things to the landfill. I just got rid of an old Technics via Craigslist. Only 10 bucks, but the guy liked playing with old tech and it was better than it being in the ground.
  • DJ wannabes around the world want you to donate it or offer it on craigslist!
    Somebody has a current $70 listing on ebay for that same model, plus $41 to ship.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2013/11/07/what-to-do-with-old-dj-gear-recycle-donate-sell/

I need to get rid of my system & vinyl. I haven't played any of it for over 10 years.
    Although, I have a brand new stylus because when I hooked it up last time I had such a difficult time finding a new stylus, I bought two. see where that got me?  Nowhere.
    All I know is, I am never moving it to the next place I live.

• You will all be happy to learn that this TT found a good and loving home.

When I originally posted I had already asked my sister if her son wanted it and that was a big negatory from her as she and her husband are into the small living thing (or whatever you call it). After reading a few comments I tried giving it away on Craigslist (to no avail). Then after I was about to give up, my sister called me and told me that my nephew had been rather insistent that they should take it.

So after tracking down a local electronics store that sold cartridges, I picked up two and packed everything up nice and tight like (watched a few youtube videos on how to ship a TT) and sent it off to California.

I'm actually quite excited about this because my nephew and I have quite a tight bond as I spent a lot of time watching him when he was young. He's entering his teen years now and we are across the country from each other. So this will be a nice way for us to stay connected.

I've been keeping an eye out for stuff he might find interesting as I go thrift shopping etc. I've already picked up a few Monkees albums, some John Denver, Squeeze, Aldo Nova, George Harrison and a few other things to send his way. Should be fun.

Thanks for all the feedback on my original question.

Katrina, if you are serious about getting rid of your vinyl, Let's talk. I'm seriously looking to acquire more in the format.