Job offers: domain owner and secondary sysadmin

edited March 2015 in General
@xtrev was wondering if there's anyone interested in owning the emusers.org domain name, as he's not around so much any more.

It will require taking over registration and paying the annual fee of however many dollars that'll take, probably not much. Also coördinating with me when I rearrange my servers every blue moon or two. I could take it, but I'm of the opinion that spreading resources is wiser.

In addition, if any regular wants to take a small hand in maintenance of the server side of things, I can give you an ssh account. It's just to do things like mess around with plugins or do forum software updates or whatever if I'm not responding quick enough^W^W^W^Wholidaying in European summer. Prerequisites: know what SSH and Linux are, understand the ^W reference in the previous sentence. It'd also be good to have backups somewhere outside my own infrastructure, so we'd set up weekly transfers of the database or something.

Comments

• I have no idea what any of that means so I guess that takes me out of the running for the position of benevolent dictator.

I for one will welcome whomever is selected to become our new overlord.

As a gesture of my good will may I offer my hat to pass around to help defray the cost of our little commune.

Paypal anyone?
  • edited March 2015
    Like JUJ my IT skills, or lack of them, put me out of the running, but I am also happy to contribute from my PayPal account - let me know your details JUJ and I will transfer an amount to you. Also I will welcome the chosen one with open arms
  • I already take care of the payment on the MiG domain name, but as long as folks chip in I'm willing to be the domain owner.

I have absolutely no ability to be a sysadmin, though.

Craig
  • Just to be clear, I am not running for class treasurer.

I'm sure our new overlords can manage to set up a paypal account (or is it google wallet or that new apple thing that got hacked on day 2).

I'm just saying that perhaps I might be persuaded to chip in on the water bill
  • Happy to chip in.
  • I've got no problem taking over the domain registration and even helping out with the sysadmin duties. Personally I don't care about the cost much, because it's typically $10 or less per year for the registration. Tell @xtrev to hit me up and we can arrange a time to transfer - assuming no one has any objections.
  • Certainly no objection from me, Thom. Thanks for volunteering
  • Happy to chip in too. Are we still talking about that?
  • @thom, if you email me an SSH key, I'll make you an account with relevant group permissions and we can take it from there. I'll also make you administrator here as it makes no sense to have shell access but not be able to do stuff within the software.

• @eythian That explains the sudden influx of e-mails from the forum. Suddenly I look around AND I CAN SEE EVERYTHING. OH THE POWER!!!

And holy crap, do we really get that many spammers trying to sign up everyday? It's amazing any forums survive.
  • Nevermind, the e-mails are because I was playing around with bookmarking discussions.
  • Yes, the spammers are still running at high volume. I am clearing out probably anywhere from ten to thirty a day, and am not sure if Katrina is still deleting some too.
  • You should have a look in the spam section and see the amount that you're not having to clear out :)
  • Yeah, I've been leaving that to stew and worrying about the ones that get as far as the applicants or users list. I just cleared it out though.

It would be handy if there were some kind of tool for sending certain patterns straight to the spam list. For instance, there are several email extensions that are not real email providers and we get multiple spammers using them daily, but some go to the spam list and some end up in users. I delete them from users, but the deletion process is more laborious from there. I have banned some specific IPs that are repeat spammers here. Is it possible ban part of an email address with wildcards?
  • Yes, I'm clearing out spammer applicants daily, anywhere from a couple to a dozen per day.

• OK, then between the ones I clear out daily, the ones you clear out, and the spam queue menagerie there are a LOT of spammers.
  • I doubt that IP blacklists are likely to get us very far, they'll be using infected machines most likely. I'd really like to block on that application text string that's always there though. I may have a look into that.
  • Oh, good idea!  Just declined 17 of those. And about that many yesterday. All from yahoo addresses.
    I don't bother checking the blacklist site.

• Just an FYI, but we're heading out on vacation for most of the next week. So I probably won't get to pitch in with my new duties until I'm back.
  • Have an excellent time!