The 80's called and want to give some of its music away

I just happen to have multiple copies of both of the following two albums by an 80's group near/dear to my heart that need to find appreciative homes.  If you are willing to adopt and provide refuge in your own physical CD collection for both these albums just PM me a mailing address.  I will even send internationally, but need to limit those going abroad to a total of 3 mailings.

Drop me a line. Tune in. Burn out.

Interesting read on how they re-acquired these albums to remaster/republish them quite a while back now.

Mood Swing: While this album will always be remembered for its one novelty hit, Mood Swing is a remarkably consistent and confident debut. The band sounds a bit like a cross between the Damned and Jim Carroll in their best moments, with all that implies -- powerful musicianship, dark and occasionally shocking lyrics leavened with a sense of humor, and a powerful frontman. Marc Campbell is certainly that, his huge baritone voice going from a tense whisper to a tuneful bellow and sounding great all the way through. There is a touch of Wall of Voodoo's Stan Ridgway in his occasional ironic phrasings, including the gleeful "Let It All Hang Out" and "88 Lines About 44 Women." The latter is, of course, the song that brought the Nails their moment of fame and airplay, but it is by no means typical of the rest of this album, or anything else the band ever did. A better example would be "Every Time I Touch You," a riveting song about being lost in a mix of love an lust, or "Home of the Brave," a surreal paean on the hectic madness of city living. the Nails were an uncommonly sophisticated rock band with a rollicking brass backup and an extraordinarily talented singer and lyricist, and on this album they got everything right.

Dangerous Dreams: Now a new wave novelty, and forever burdened with a "one-hit wonder" albatross because of the monolithic "88 Lines About 44 Girls," the Nails demonstrate on Dangerous Dreams that this Boulder, CO band still held some clever moves in their repertoire. "Things You Left Behind" brings a goth tinge to "These Foolish Things," and made for a decent follow-up, but never made the radio. "Dig Myself a Hole" is another great grave-yard shifter. "The First Time" and "Veil" unveil some smoking guitar breaks whilst delving deep into religion and history. Macabre motifs echos through "Voices," and everything else on Dangerous Dreams, a black slab which smacks of cleverness, and doles out heavy topics set to a heartbreak beat. The grandeur of the Doors, the propulsion of Iggy Pop, and the moroseness of the Sisters of Mercy, combine with the Nails' own talent to create the perfect vessel for riding high on a dark wave of depression.

Comments

• I have to ask if there is a story about why they're so near and dear.  Especially if you have enough copies you need to limit international shipping to 3 mailings!

Craig
  • edited July 2015
    Craig, no story/reason per se.   They’re among a small number of bands that had a couple great albums (IMHO) that never seemed to get the exposure to a wider audience for whatever reasons.   The Nails are actually probably at least on a lot of people’s radar due to “88 Lines About 44 Women” but, as I found out when I bought their first album way back then, there was a lot more to like on that album beyond the ‘hit’ (I actually like most of the other songs more).

There is actually at least one another band that I want to ‘evangelize’ in a similar fashion at some point in the future.  That will be a little more time consuming and logistically challenging but if I ever do get my act together on that I’ll post it here as well.

I do realize that all/any of the above stuff could be purchased & delivered digitally, but I have still have a soft spot for physical media (especially for the stuff I really like).