PSA - Backup yo' stuff

My sister just contacted me about and external drive she has that has apparently gone south.   No idea what she might have on the drive or if she has a backup of said data.

If you have something important to you make sure you have it backed up/copied to at least 1 other location/medium.  Make two copies... media is cheap and it's only your time.

So... Personally, I'm looking at god-awful amounts of music downloads over the past year that haven't been backed up since about this time last year.  But!   As part of my yearly, wind the year down ritual I copy all that stuff to my primary tune location, along w/the local backup and the the 2ndary backup.....I  always spend an inordinate amount of time during the the last 2-3 weeks of the year getting downloaded zip files of music unzipped, all MP3 tags updated as best I can, and then copying the Mp3's to the main/2ndary backup/removable backup.

I really need to pay some attention this year to backing up the non-musical flotsam/jetsam (ie: email, pictures, videos) as well.  Because that implications of loosing it is a magnitude (or two (or four)) more difficult to recover from.   AH!  New Year's Resolution #01.

Back your shit up!

Comments

• I second that notion.

I hereby proclaim that New Years day shall henceforth and forevermore be known as international back up your shit day (BUYSD) to be celebrated for the entire week before and the week after the holiday.

Ever since my first hull breach back in the early days of emu I have a regular program of back ups.  I lost some good stuff in that first one, James Brown, Kevin Mahogany, to name a few, that I never got around to replacing because it was no longer available on emu.

I have lost count of the hull breaches that have occurred since then but for the most part I have managed to maintain the majority of my shit with about 99.5% purity.  There will inevitably be some leakage due to timing of backups and misfiling etc.

I keep getting emails from emu inviting me to their new cloud service where all of my downloads await my arrival.  Does anybody know if their new cloud includes the music from back in the all you can eat days of emu.  That might be worth a trial run.
  • I had a complete hard drive failure about a month ago.  Thank god for backups.

Craig