A little help from my friends

2»

Comments

• Well, I'll try to keep this short. It appears I have enough points to get a new basic Mac Mini with 
    • 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    • 4GB memory
    • 500GB hard drive1
    • Intel HD Graphics 5000
    Now, I don't do much on the computer except listen to/explore music, look at pictures of the garden and play the odd game of Sims 3.

so, I'm wondering if it's worth chipping in some savings ($500) to get the Mini with
    • 2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    • 8GB memory
    • 1TB Fusion Drive1
    • Intel Iris Graphics
    or $200 for a Mini with
    • 2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    • 8GB memory
    • 1TB hard drive1
    • Intel Iris Graphics
    I've also found out that they stopped putting CD drives into Macs so I'll also need a way to burn CDs to play in our Mini Cooper. I've got about 400 or so CD-Rs that I used to keep a back-up of my emusic etc purchases till the drive quit working on this old one.

I'll appreciate any advice you might have and apologize in advance for all the questions that are bound to arise when I finally hit the redeem button.
  • A lot of it depends on what kind of "consumer" you are (or maybe "personality" might be a better term). I'm the kind of person who goes for the highest end of something (after a LOT of research) that I can afford - maybe even a little more than I can afford.
    I do this because I keep things for a long time and by the time I'm ready for something new (because it inevitably breaks after many years), I'm usually behind most people by that time.

Ex: after 8 years of having my Apple Quicksilver, it finally broke, so I went for the Apple Quad-Core Intel Xeon in early 2009. Immediately, I put 16 GB of memory inside (which was pretty substantial in those days) and was astonished by its speed. Nowadays, it probably pales in comparison, but I have yet to have any problems with it and it keeps right on gliding along. Same thing with my monitor (Apple Cinema Display) which is a 22" from 2001.

So, if it were me, I'd research, research, research, then really push for the most advanced I could afford - even slightly afford. 
  • Unless you're doing something like video rendering/conversion or maybe multitrack recording mixdowns with heavy reverb or applying Photoshop effects to 20GB images on a regular basis, I'd go with one of the slower CPUs and maybe spend the money you save to go to 16GB RAM, especially if you decide to run a Windows virtual machine in Parallels or something like that. The smaller hard drive should be fine too, especially if you keep your main body music files on a separate drive.
  • Well, my personality...hmmm... I guess I'm on the frugal side. Inexpensive not cheap. Living pretty much in the past. Still don't own a cell phone and no desire to have one.
    Optimistic (I do love to garden) and  loves the sound of sound. I can't wait to go out and see if I can hear any slugs slithering around on the cabbage.

I'm currently looking into what a Fusion drive is, what I can get to burn CD's and I will upgrade to one with more memory.  Thanks to both for the tips. 

BTW I am getting this on a Rewards program so I'm not sure if I can get some custom additions
  • edited July 2017
    Thanks for the shortcut. I was just about to start googling.
  • Thanks again. I see that the USB Super Drive by Apple will match the mini and will definitely add as much memory as I can. 
    Now, off to my wife's computer to see the Reward site and find out my options.
  • Make sure you check reviews if you haven't already.
  • Well, I hadn't and now very grateful for the heads up. Apparently I'm not very good at the research, research, research part. 
    Currently googling LG Ultra Slim External DVDRW With Mac & Surface Compatible Model GP60NS50 reviews, but not having much luck. Some pages won't even open on this outdated computer. I'll check those out later on the wife's computer. 
    It is a lot less expensive than the Mac Superdrive so I imagine it can't be much worse.

Also, I can't get upgrade options through the Rewards program but it does list that the Mini is configurable to 16 GB. I assume that means you can add extra memory to it later. 

Thanks again.
  • After checking out the Top 10 external DVDs in the Best Reviews Guide (Canada), I'll probably go with this - Transcend Information 8X Extra Slim Portable DVD Writer Optical Drive, TS8XDVDS-K (Black) - 33 five star reviews and under $40.
  • confused said:
    I assume that means you can add extra memory to it later.
    With recent versions of the Mac mini it is not possible to add extra memory later, it is soldered onto the motherboard.
  • Oops, I guess I should have waited a bit. I wonder what they mean by "configurable to 16 GB" then.
    Darned computers.

Really, as long as I can access Emusic, Bandcamp and lastfm and listen to some tunes, I'll be fine with that. 

Ps just checked my wife's computer. It's a 2012 MIni Yosemite 10.10 and she only has 4 GB's on her's (2 & 2). It has a link to instructions to upgrade and hopefully we can use the two 4's from this old computer to up it to 8. Note to self, check-out cost of 8/16s.
  • Well, I'll start right out with the apologies for asking for some more advice about this computer. The new Mac Mini arrived a couple of days ago and I still haven't plugged it in yet for fear I'm going to mess it up somehow.

I've been googling about transferring itunes, Safari and Mail and I've had a few thoughts.

First, I'm not too sure about using the Migration Assistant.  I've got so much crap on the old Mini and I've really messed up iTunes over the years, so I'm thinking I'll just be importing  a heap of trouble. I still have 3 years of missing tracks on the dead external hard drive it tries to find and then there's all those duplicate tracks I added last year.

Second, since I'm keeping this old computer for backup, is it necessary to use that TIme Machine (apparently it came with the old computer) to back up the hard drives. I don't know how long that process takes or if I have enough room. I Consolidated & Organized the itunes last year.

Thirdly, I'm using the Mail that came with this computer so I plan to use this advice- https://www.lifewire.com/transfer-apple-mail-to-new-mac-2260915.
    Now, none of the plug-ins on this old computer work nor does the cd burner that came with it work either. I figured I'll just make a current back-up copy of the Mail on the external hard-drive and then follow the instructions. (unless there's a shortcut?)

Lastly, Thanks again for any advice. Believe me it is much appreciated and once again Sorry for asking. I'm sure I've not thought about what else I need to do.

• Hello, me again. I suppose the first thing I screwed up was when we set up my wife's computer a few years back and used my Apple ID to log it on. Never thought anything about it as it didn't seem to affect anything on my old mini.

Well, I logged the new computer in with our email address and the password she had changed and now I have all her info on my new computer.

I can't wait for the sun to come up and head out to the garden :/
    Darned little brain.
  • Another great day in the garden and I believe I've sorted out the log-ins :)
  • Well, I've really made a mess out of it this time and I'm not sure where to begin to look.
    I've been really having a hard time trying to post on #16 and I'll see if it happens here.
    If I take too long to compose a post, a little lightbulb window pops up in the corner and says  Invalid CSRF Token - page I'm looking for could not be found.
    Everything I do on the internet takes too long so I might really be hooped. I always get distracted by that pesky music.

If I have multiple windows open it sometimes takes a long, long, long time before it opens. This is taking a lot of fun out of exploring and this new iTunes is only adding to my frustrations. I should have never started using emojis. 

Okay, it just happened again, and again while I'm trying to finish as fast as I can.
    I'm sure less words would help. Still sorry for using up all these bytes.

And again. I had to copy my post to My Drafts to make it work.
    Again. It didn't work
    I believe I've sorted out nothing. Unhappy face!!

• Well, it turned out that our old Mac router gave up the ghost and our modem was also out of date. The new modem bypasses the old router so all's good.

Not quite. Yesterday Safari stopped working and I've spent about 5 hrs going back and forth from this old computer to the new one trying out everything I could with no luck. It just does nothing when I click on it. My problem is that I can't find a browser to download on the new computer without a working browser. I tried downloading Firefox to my wife's computer and putting it on a memory stick and transferring it to the new one, but a message pops up saying I can't do that.

Is it possible to just trash the non-working Safari and download a new one from the App Store?
    I'll give that a search, but I'd sure appreciate a hint if you have one.
    Thanks again.

Darned Computers!!!

• Well, after much searching I found the Safari support at Apple.com. In the community section there was a thread listed Safari 11 not starting after update today.
    Apparently, this solved the problem that some other folks were having as well.

This soles the problem:

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/36/14/091-00938/p3q0nh19f3vfti9kp449ms1 e4wrjh9ltva/Safari11.0Sierra.pkg

I found this in the install.log file.

I downloaded it on the old computer and saved it to the external hard drive then transferred it to the new computer. I followed the download instructions and when I opened Safari, it reopened all the windows I was visiting when it quit. It was like it never happened. Weird! 

Now, I  can certainly see the need for having a back-up browser. More searching required.

• Well, I sorta hoped I wouldn't have to open this thread again but here I am. This darn computer kept asking me to update to High Sierra and the other week I finally gave in.
    I didn't use that time machine as I didn't think I had much to backup. I know....

At any rate, I've been searching and now I'm even more confused. I not sure what is real and what is fake info. 

All my iTunes is/are intact and I've got access to the internet. The problem is the computer won't remember it's setting when I restart it. The dock is always outside the viewing screen after a restart so I search until I find the Launch Pad and bring up the Preferences and click on Display icon, then click on the Underscan pointer and the screen immediately  jumps to the right display. I can't figure out how to save it at that point. 

But, also all the web pages are running really slow which is making it difficult to use up boosters. I learned how to open a Develop setting on the top bar and used the Empty Cache feature and nothing changed.

The App Store shows no updates available. Last Update was macOS 10.13.2. 

Once again any help is much appreciated
    -always
    Ps It's taken 4 tries to post this. It keeps telling me I have a Permission Problem.
         So, copy close & try again
  • edited December 2017
    I hesitate to opine, being as how I'm still using Snow Leopard - mostly because they still are at my job - but I had a Permission problem once some time ago.  In the box that comes up when you ask Finder to Get Info on any folder or application there is a section on Sharing & Permissions - these can be locked or unlocked, once unlocked you can customize or modify the settings.  You may have to change the permissions to accommodate your User identity to allow certain actions.  If you find the fix you want, I would lock the settings in before you leave it to keep it constant.  Some trial and error may be required.
  • Thanks BigD, the error part is pretty easy for me, and after looking at the get info on safari, I realize I have no idea where to start. The Sharing & Permissions says You have custom access over a (1 person) system which has Read & Write privilege, a (2 person) wheel and a (3 person) everyone who have Read only privilege. I didn't unlock it to see what it  would do. It just seemed too complicated.

It's probably best to wait for the grandkids to come for a visit and push a button or two.
    I'm getting kinda used to opening it up by going to the preferences. Listening to and sorting out the library is way more fun than trying to understand computers.

I can remember a time when as a younger lad I would fix the flashing lights on my Gramma's VHS and have a snicker that she couldn't figure it out. Shouldn't have done that!

Thanks again, I appreciate the help to know my limitations.
  • Not a Mac user anymore, but vaguely remember there's something about repairing a keychain that's important with permissions?

VHS, hahaha. Go ahead and snicker at me keeping up with iOs updates on mobile devices.

Oh, there's this magnifier thing I keep turning on by accident on my iPad - there's a permanent Safari tab on "get rid of ipad magnifier", that's how bad it is, lol. Just turned the magnifier on by accident a few days ago but still had to look it up to post here, some sort of mental block.  I know it's a three-finger something, but I always try a three-finger pinch, which never works.  It's a three-finger double tap to turn it off,  bamboozle me again, iPad!

Good luck on solving the permissions problem!

• Well, 4 years later, not much has changed. Still waiting to fix the old hard drive and still trying to understand this computer. I did run out of room on the old external hard drive and purchased a 6 TB replacement. I've only been using it to back up files because if I leave it on it's always clicking and clacking like it's sorting files constantly. Drives me nuts. I only have 106 GBs left on this computer and it's already starting to act wonky.
    Now, I know a lot of you have large collections and I'm wondering how you handle them?
    This computer came with iCloud but I haven't used it. Any shortcuts would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!