That's the end of....owning music?

Okay, I've lurked on emusers for years - at some point in my emusic tenure I found this site. I've dutifully sorted through Bandcamp Goodies and Lecture on Free Stuff as well as tried various different sites for downloading music. I don't even remember their names. Oh wait, I do: Mtracks, Limewire (the legal download service), and of course Guvera -  Blue Note for free.

I quit Emusic long time back, right when the first major arrived and the price soared. Still, I've pulled together a music library of over four thousand albums, and the only thing shady in the collection is the ethically dubious copying of library CD's.

My latest download failure was Drip. Cool site, enjoyed digging deeply into different labels, but when it went asunder, I decided to go join the masses. Truth is with 4000 albums in your collection, a new album might get listened to twice, perhaps three times if I love it, in a two-year period.

In that time, I have amassed quite a little musical setup for deep listening, several mid-fi headphones like Hifiman 500 and Senns 650 along with some great amps. And when Drip sent out their death memo (it's official on Friday), I started by looking into streaming.

I joined Tidal because I have the equipment that merits streaming lossless. The site itself is bizarre. Everything is hip hop on the front page, so I quickly zoom past to my "album favorites" where I have stacked up three hundred or so albums to explore for the next couple months. Then I'll reload.

And that's it. I think I'm done ever paying a penny for music beyond the subscription fee. It's kind of sad. These artists aren't getting my money unless I see them at shows, and that rarely happens. And I don't think I've ever heard intentionally a Jay Z album, and he's getting my monthly fee for Tidal.

I don't know if anyone can make me feel better or worse, but there you go.

Comments

• edited March 2016
    I understand where you are coming from. I pay my £20 each month to emusic, download my 100 tracks, but very rarely do I play an album that much, and there are tracks that are still unplayed months afterwards. OK it is my own fault, I play music regularly in my car yet do not update my iPod that often, for example. I think what puts me off streaming is that it requires an internet connection and I actually like to own the music. That doesn't stop me streaming, but financially I'd probably be better off using my emusic payment to subscribe to Spotify.
  • In the market overall, I'm sure this is true. People are already telling their phones or cars to play what they want to hear. Probably pretty soon, music streaming will just be folded into stuff you already pay for, as for Amazon Prime and some cell phone plans.

But for me, streaming is just a supplement. You can't even listen to ECM on Spotify, not to mention much of the more-obscure jazz in my library.  I do finding myself buying more CDs (esp sets with nice packaging and info), as I perceive that they have better value than mp3's. But eMusic still has the best prices on downloadable music.  If I'm going to pay a modest monthly amount, I'd rather spend it on music I know I like and want to keep...Not what Spotify happens to have the licensing for.
  • Everyone's mileage is going to vary. I periodically ask myself the same question - is it insane to buy any more music? Some of the reasons I continue, in roughly descending order of magnitude are:

1. Some of my favorite music is not on the streaming services. It can only be purchased. (This is not just all the obscure ambient music I listen to - I have quite a few CDs that were in print runs of 50-100 and can't be streamed - but bigger things like ECM).

2. (It might be that this is actually #1) I enjoy the actual process of sifting and collecting and organizing and rating and finding and bargain hunting. I don't want a huge heap of other people's music just sitting there. It's a hobby. Curating playlists still does not feel the same. Streaming playlists is not a substitute any more than sifting through other people's mailboxes would be a substitute for a stamp collector or a walk in the park is a substitute for house plants (or find your own better analogy). As hobbies go it is not particularly expensive (I spend way less on music than some folk I know spend on their sports) and I enjoy it. (Tied in here somewhere is all that research in psychology and economics that says we ascribe greater value/quality to things in which we have specifically invested resources - sometimes the buying is part of the caring, and I don't want to care less about the core part of my music; this might be a distinct consideration, the long-term effect on self and relationship to music, who knows.)

3. Some of my favorite artists are sufficiently not-popular that the amount they are ever going to get from streaming is microscopic. I am not going to hear them live because they are often in distant locations, The only real way to support them is to buy their releases. You can't support everyone, but I'd like to support some of them.

4. A great deal of my listening is offline, (Walking to work, on planes, etc) I know you can do offline listening with the streaming services, so this might be mostly what processes I am most used to, but I like having my own music with me without feeling I am renting it.

5. Who knows how long the current streaming services are going to last? I am still not entirely comfortable with the idea that I pay in money regularly and then for whatever reason may at some point have no access. (Of course this is mitigated by your existing 4000 album library, and I also use streaming as a complement to my purchased music. Not everything needs to be bought.)

The more serious conversation I have with myself from time to time is not should I quit buying and just stream, but should I concentrate my buying more, quit buying lots of bargains to spread my buying widely and focus the budget on a few choice things that might be more expensive, such as deluxe editions and the like. But the actual logic of discovering things does not always work that way, or maybe it is just that old habits die hard. I still can't resist an emusic booster sale.
  • edited March 2016
    Wow - I really like @Germanprof's response; especially #2. I also agree with @Doofy's point about wanting to own vs. the restrictive web of licensing agreements.

I understand the allure of the dream of constant, ready access to the entire pool of human knowledge; in this case access to every song ever recorded. The concept being, if you can listen to any song any time you want, why would you want your own copy. For me there are two major forces holding that back. First, the inordinate cost of bandwidth. Sure the average speed has improved greatly but the cost of a data pipe is still out of line with the desire for access all the time, anywhere. The second major hurdle, are the licensing/copy right issues. Songs, movies, TV shows and books pop in and out of availability all the time as licensing agreements expire or the rental fee becomes too great. For those things you really enjoy (songs/albums) - owning beats renting.

One other thing I have against streaming, is that having lived during the prime period of AM and then FM radio, I'm very cognizant of the music industry's long term desire to get the public (as well as advertisers) to pay in order to listen to music. I'll grant you that the trade-off of no ads and some control over what gets played seems like a worth while deal. However, I know that the greed of the publishers/copyright holders (who are almost as greedy as cellular service providers) means that it is only a matter of time before the ads return and the cost increases; review the history of cable TV for a comparable illustration.

Initially I read your post as questioning the need to continue to buy new music, once you have a collection greater than you can fully appreciate. After reading everyone's replies I realize that most likely that is my issue and not yours. ;)
  • edited March 2016
    A recent experience with the licensing thing: I watch very, very little TV but maybe a year ago started a netflix subscription to look at a couple of things. After hearing about it for years I starting watching Battlestar Galactica. I liked it and was getting involved. I got to a two-part episode where at the end of the first episode the female fighter pilot person gets shot down over some planet and is plummeting down through the clouds and then the episode ends. Before I got chance to watch the next episode, Battlestar Galactica got pulled from netflix. That sucked. I kind of gave up in disgust, and have still not got round to buying the next episode somewhere else, so she's still falling.
  • edited March 2016
    Perfect example - another infamous/ironic case is the Amazon Kindle 1984 incident. For me there was the time my wife and I were watching all the episodes of Murder She Wrote (250+), on Netflix, when we got to the last four or five shows the series got pulled. Fortunately, for us, quite a number of people complained and a few months later they were able to bring the series back.

@Greg if you are using iTunes, there used to be a feature to have your ipod wiped and reloaded with a random selection of songs. I never used that feature but it could make it easier to hear more of your collection on the go; if you do that every time you need to recharge the ipod.
  • edited March 2016
    I do not think this has been mentioned: outside of paying for a ticket to see a show at a small venue, buying physical media from the artist is the best way for me to support the artist. Obviously U2 and Bob Dylan do not need my money, but there are number of grass roots level musicians I want to support by purchasing a real CD.

This might be via kickstarter or bandcamp, but many times I will go to a bluegrass festival and buy two or three CDs (probably overpriced compared to iTunes), but I know the band is getting 100% of the profit in that sort of context. 

/edit - I see GP mentioned something like this..../
  • To echo Germanprof's point about Netflix, it came as a minor calamity to me that they have lost Doctor Who, and most of the Doctor Who that was free on Amazon Prime is now no longer free - the skinny is that BBC may launch its own streaming service.  I had gotten a bit casual about catching up on recent seasons because they were always there on Netflix - always is no more now, so relying on a service is potentially dicey.  I also like to buy music of certain artists, CD or download, as a measure of support, sometimes when I'm not even that into listening to it - I bought all Johnny Winters later releases because I loved the guy even if he was past his prime and I knew he wasn't in the best health and needed whatever financial support he could get.  Same for younger acts or the struggling obscure.  Finally, I don't listen a lot at the computer which is in another room from much of what I do at home, and my old-fangled equipment is still of yesteryear.  Someday I'll finally get a smartphone (the crowd shudders) and maybe I'll reconsider, but I like CD's and I like liner notes, and I feel in many ways I know less about the music and the artists I listen to since I went into the digital realm.
  • Agree with everybody, etc. but for me try though I might, I just can't like streaming. I recently discovered that if on my phone I log in as my wife on Amazon Music, I can get all the Prime music, and download it to listen off line, so I've been playing with it, which is better than a normal streaming service, but still I've found:

1. At least 80% of the stuff I've downloaded is stuff I own, it's just easier to download it.
    2. I find myself missing my own Amazon account with my stuff in it.
    3. The stuff I download that I don't have, like right now I'm listening to DS2 by Future, I find the whole time I'm listening I'm wondering if is something I should buy instead of just listening. And also kind of wondering if I might not rather be listening to something I own, like the Purple Reign mixtape by Future.

I think different people have different degrees of tolerance for owning vs. renting, and obviously a lot of us are on a fringe. Also it differs by media. My brother has a huge movie collection; I have like 5 movies. And I get a little bummed when a movie or show leaves Netflix, but I just move on, where if any album I have gets corrupted I'd be upset...
  • Tied in here somewhere is all that research in psychology and economics that says we ascribe greater value/quality to things in which we have specifically invested resources - sometimes the buying is part of the caring, and I don't want to care less about the core part of my music; this might be a distinct consideration, the long-term effect on self and relationship to music, who knows.

For me, this is the crucial point (and, since it's a cognitive bias, I think one that applies to many people). It's called the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_effect - people value things they've purchased more than things they haven't. That heavily impacts my own habits - I stream plenty, maybe 25% or so, but the endowment effect plays a significant factor in that I own the other 75% of my listening.

• I think what's interesting about the endowment effect in this context is that with music it applies to some people more than others - my wife wouldn't really care if she bought music or rented it, she just wants to listen to it. (When I told her I bought the latest Björk on cd because it was just a little more than download, and came with free mp3s, she said "but why would you buy a cd?")

And it's also interesting that the effect applies to digital music - for some reason it makes a difference to me to have those ones and zeroes on a hard drive in my house as opposed to temporarily on my phone, even if that temporarily could effectively be very long time.
  • I'm with kargatron - I definitely have the endowment effect. In fact, my streaming essentially boils down to listening to new music (to purchase later if I like what I hear), and streaming what I already have (for the most part. I am listening to the Discover Weekly mix from Spotify - lots of stuff I already have there as well). I think that one of the best ways to support artists is to purchase their work and not rely on streaming income, so I continue to purchase new music that hopefully helps out artists I enjoy. I still buy physical media to help my local music stores as well (although that has dropped off quite a bit, as I get a lot through Emusic).
  • @amclark2 I have the same semi-rational preference for having the files where I get to control them (back them up, rename them, sort them, etc). I also buy CDs, in fact I regularly buy CDs of certain things that I already have as MP3 if I particularly like the recording and want the sound quality increment and the artifact. On my home speakers it makes an audible difference in certain genres.
  • edited March 2016
    With Spotify, I feel like there are some albums I like listening to regularly, but don't necessarily need to own. I still regularly get albums through the library, but currently only buy a few albums a year now, mostly due to a limited budget. I contrast this with albums I own that I listen to erratically. This was one reason I dropped eMu. I had so many albums I rarely listened to.  

I like that Discover Weekly mix. It's been a good way to learn about new artists or tracks. 

I think I will go back to buying more music regularly, most likely a mix of physical and digital albums. I definitely like the idea of supporting artists, especially from smaller labels. 

• It took me a while to move from CD to digital music, I still wanted to own the CD. Even now I will always buy,eg, Bruce Springsteen's releases on CD (although I am happy to download live shows). But the move from CD to digital has vastly expanded my music listening habits, as I would never buy as many vastly more expensive CDs as I do downloads. My monthly £20 at emusic would probably cost upwards of £100 as CDs. Maybe there is a generational thing at play too - one of my step-sons, who is just as much into music as me, has sold off all his CDs, and mainly listens through streaming services.
  • Great discussion.  I like being the curator of my audio collection.  Not everything in the library has to be a song from a CD -- I can pull in old answering machine messages and failed attempts at recording my own music.
  • Mine includes field recordings I made on a deserted beach in Vancouver...
  • Totally agree @trunkler I like to have short bits of spoken word (i.e Firesign Theater, Tony Schwartz, Shel Silverstein, historic speech excerpts etc.) that way when listening on shuffle it feels a bit like a very cool radio station.  B)
  • My situation is like that as well.
    It's like having a radio station
    with 700,000 tunes of my own choosing.
  • edited March 2016
    Here's the other thing, Spotify seems kinda dumb. Eg, if you ask it to play a Bill Withers playlist, it will play you all the songs you can hear on 'Adult Contemporary' radio, then proceed to play other familiar hits from other Soul artists of the era. Probably most listeners are OK with that, in which case Spotify is just commercial radio without the commercials. Maybe it's better with the more current stuff. I'm not sure about Pandora...I am told that Rdio was more intelligent, but it's gone now.

I'm not sure how many 'songs' I've got these days.  There are maybe 300K in one library and 25K in the other, with some amount of overlap. But I can stop anytime I want.
  • For odd snippets sneaking into one's shuffle, this is a good source: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/The_Conet_Project/

(Lots there though, so inject sparingly)
  • The Conet Project is one of those things tho,
    that I'm glad I bought 20 years ago in physical form,
    because it has a great big booklet with lots of info.
  • This booklet?: http://irdial.hyperreal.org/www/conet_project_booklet.pdf

(which is not to say that a physical copy isn't still better than a pdf.)
  • I sure hope that all these music snips they are using in their broadcasts are creative common licensed :D   
  • Since I got a Sonos I enjoy the chance to listen to some of the good radio stations out there. But to me music is there to be owned. I buy most of my music on digital but still get the thrill of finding something in a record shop. Last week I found a Beady Belle album I wanted for £1, it made me happy. I never want that feeling to go.
  • It is a major hassle to maintain it but I am firmly in the camp of owning your music.

I don't think I consume music the way many of you do it.  I tend to think of some particular music track or style and want to listen to that specific piece of music, sometimes over and over again.  I don't need Pandora gatekeeping my music listening.

When I am in the mood for random listening there are a gazillion streaming sites that that will fill that need, most at no cost.  My personal favorite right now is Satelite radio mostly for the jazz and because they are pretty flexible in terms of allowing you to listen to the type of jazz you prefer.

When the zombie apocalypse occurs and there is no internet for streaming I can still put my hard drive on random play and listen to my own tracks.

I guess renting and owning music is similar to owning or renting your home.  Different strokes for for different folks.  Everybody's needs are different.
  • I don't think I consume music the way many of you do it. 

I am with you on this one. I almost never listen randomly. 95% of the time I choose a specific album, I almost always listen to the whole album, and when I do occasionally listen to playlists they are ones that I have specifically constructed to be like themed albums. That's why I don't listen to radio much, Internet or analog. Random listening feels to me like having someone read random pages from random books all the time in the background; there's no time to really focus in on the story and start getting the nuances.

• Germanprof said: Random listening feels to me like having someone read random pages from random books all the time in the background
    ohhh, that sounds like a wonderful experience  :)
    but, for me, I wouldn't equate it with random track listening,
    because I'm not listening for stories.
  • edited March 2016
    I almost never listen randomly. 95% of the time I choose a specific album, I almost always listen to the whole album...

To each his own :smile: That was how I listened to music in high school. I think the albums that were being released at the time and using a turntable as my main media, encouraged that kind of focused listening. Decades of being married with kids, made that commitment a challenge.

What really disrupted my listening habits was the cassette tape. Making mixed tapes of the music I wanted to hear, sequenced the way I wanted ("themed albums" as you call it), changed everything for me. I got to the point that making a tape felt as if I was playing my music collection like an instrument. The 45 minute time restriction seemed to help foster a sense of craft in creating an enjoyable playlist.

These days I get a kick out of being able to use the tags I assign to generate programmable playlists. I've even kicked around the idea to create a post about some of the playlists I use to encourage others to share their playlist ideas; could be interesting.

Anyway enjoy your album listening - nothing wrong with that. Some artists put a lot of thought into their disc's sequence. I'm sure they would be happy to hear that people are consuming music the way they expected.
  • edited March 2016
    First, I'm not too angry that shows are dropped from Netflix. That means that more streamers are competing with Netflix and content owners are able to make more money. (I'm sure Netflix locked in some amazing deals in 2010-3 which eventually expired).  Giving content owners more money means bigger money piles for future content producers. 

I remain very suspicious of streaming service's discoverability feature. Pandora was pretty awful about that. Somehow Beyonce keeps getting on everybody's playlist -- wonder why. Even the smart playlists seemed to have a commercial logic behind it. 

I'm sure you are aware of the pitiful streaming royalties. Buying albums is much more profitable for artists, although I have to wonder how much of a cut they get when you buy things from emusic. 

A while back, I tried to give donations to artists for creative commons artists. I gave $20 to each of them. I saw that many artists were uncomfortable with asking for donations though....  (You can see which ones I donated to and how to download their stuff here). 
    http://www.imaginaryplanet.net/weblogs/idiotprogrammer/special/11-incredible-musicians-you-can-download-for-free-best-of-jamendo/

I think the important thing is recognizing that just using a streaming service is not an adequate enough way to show your support for artists. You have to do more than just pay for spotify. (Ironically when rdio went under, the biggest casualty was emusic, because it was harder for me to listen to albums to decide whether I wanted to purchase them). 

It's hard to maintain music collections on the file system. (I currently have about 190,000 music files, and that's not including the flac files and backup files). My amarok music player can handle this collection fairly well, but I have to admit that keeping it maintained and well-organized is a bitch. Also, the storage space is always increasing. Also I frequently forget about huge amounts of music. A lot of the playlists have to be made manually. I had to start a spreadsheet just to keep track of which albums I loved and which ones I did not. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pDSA9n3k2UkXczGgSglTbTkUyNQRC6PonQDu7xPTtCc/edit#gid=98756300

One thing about streaming services is that they are similar to the blanket licenses which were issued outside USA. (basically it divvied royalties according to plays). But 1)bigger labels learned how to game the system and 2)it set absolute limits on the money for the music business. I'd like to think that music business has the potential to grow, and is not merely a finite amount of cash which all musicians compete for.  

I think I read somewhere that the average amount spent by American adults per year is about $15. If you factor out the people who pay nothing, it actually jumps up to $50/year. I'm sure most of us pay more than $100 per year, maybe substantially more. What I'd like is to see people spend their money in a way that optimizes support for artists. 

To summarize: I support owning stuff because it is more likely to provide benefits to the artists. I support streaming to the extent that it helps you to buy more things by the artist.