Good books with a musical theme

edited August 2009 in Diversions
We have a thread for movies & music, so I thought a thread for books & music might be interesting.

Recently finished a mystery by Don Bruns, titled "Bahama Burnout". It was very entertaining, especially with all the stuff thrown in about the music industry.

The Publisher's Weekly synopsis:
Bruns's laid-back fifth mystery to feature Mick Sever (after 2008's St. Bart's Breakdown) takes the music journalist to Nassau, to cover the resurgence of the legendary Highland Recording Studios, which burned down more than a year earlier and killed someone whose remains were never identified. Owners Jonah and Rita Britt have rebuilt, but the studio's now being targeted by a troublemaker. Rita blames a ghost, possibly that of the unidentified person who died in the fire, for destroying a guitar once owned by singer Sheryl Crow. Sever is also intrigued by the Cadillac a Bahamian matron is offering for sale that supposedly belonged to Elvis Presley. When the manager of Johnny Run, a once red-hot band recording its comeback attempt at Highland, is strangled while sitting in the Cadillac, Sever turns detective. Bruns's twisted, if at times hazy, tale of rock-and-roll revenge will keep readers guessing until the end.

I've gone back to the library and am now reading his first novel in the Mick Sever series, "Janaica Blue".

Comments

• For classical buffs, I'd recommend Vikram Seth's novel "An Equal Music" about a string quartet. Synopsis from Amazon:

"Michael plays second violin in an up-and-coming Maggiore Quartet, lives on the north side of Hyde Park, takes early morning dips in the Serpentine, has a French girlfriend named Virginie. But his mind is constantly drawn to his first and only love, Julia, whom he knew in Vienna many years earlier. When he catches sight of Julia on a London bus, he cannot help but pursue her. Vikram Seth's new novel is a gently-paced, multi-layered work, proceeding in short sections which flit from Michael's ongoing search for Julia back to his childhood as a Rochdale butcher's son, his early training and breakdown in Vienna under the tyrannical Carl Kall, and the emotional history of his quartet; while Michael's discovery of a Beethoven trio rewritten as a string quintet acts as a motif for Michael's pursuit of the lost Julia: can Michael recapture the magic of the past, like Beethoven, who deafly transfigured what he so many years earlier had hearingly composed? Seth is quite brilliant at conveying the intense and complex interplay of chamber musicians, in rehearsal and performance (an odd, obsessed, introspective, separatist breed), and manages the near-impossible--to write in 1999 about Art and Love without embarrassment"

However, I once heard the cellist of the Amadeus Quartet on the radio saying that it wasn’t at all realistic. But perhaps he didn’t like the portrayal of professional chamber musicians as “an odd, obsessed, introspective, separatist breed”!
  • Well, for classical music, there's always Thomas Mann's Dr. Faustus. For pop, Carl Hiassen's "Basket Case" - not one of his very best, but it's a read (Hiassen's pretty rock and roll in general). Then there is Elmore Leonard's "Be Cool". If you haven't read Leonard yet, you have a big treat in store.
  • i have not read this. i only saw the effect that it had on my roommate right out of college...i may not be advocating it as a result.

the catalog of cool - scullati

this is pop-culture oriented with his "analysis" as the vehicle.
  • Talking of Thomas Mann, there’s also his short story “The Blood of the Walsungs” (Walsungenblut): “The two key characters exhibit an aristocratic arrogance and elitism that culminates in incest. In an opera scene Mann draws a close parallel between his two protagonists and Siegmund and Sieglinde in Wagner's Die Walkure”. Wagner also features in Mann’s short story “Tristan”.

In his film of Mann’s “Death in Venice”, Visconti made the hero, a writer in the story, into a composer, who looked very much like Mahler, and the soundtrack used the Adagietto from Mahler’s 5th (perhaps overused as I remember it – the film hardly ever shows up on today’s dumbed-down TV.) The film may have done more to popularize Mahler in the 70s than anything else.
  • Then there's Terry Pratchett's "Soul Music", in which Death's grand-daughter, having taken over the family firm while grandad is on his hols, finds herself entangled with a singing poet and a band that plays music with rocks in it.
  • Accordion Crimes by Annie Proulx is a good one.
    It spans two centuries and chronicles the existence of an accordion built by the first character in the book.
    It is kind of desperate and the people portrayed remind of Grapes of Wrath, Tobacco Road, and the like.
  • Pratchett's "Maskerade" is set in an opera house, with two young hopefuls trying to make their careers as sopranos. There's a phantom, a few murders, and a talking cat.
  • edited August 2009
    What about fiction about composers? One of the best is Eduard Moricke's novella Mozart's Journey to Prague (Mozart auf der Reise nach Prag) about the journey that Mozart made from Vienna to Prague to conduct the premiere of 'Don Giovanni'.
  • edited August 2009
    It's been a slow read for me, but Alex Ross' book, The Rest Is Noise, is fantastic. And fantastically well-written.

He has an accompanying blog, too: The Rest Is Noise.
  • Or how about a book on music?

Ripped by Greg Kot is a recently non-fiction book. It's an account of how technology changed the music business/ how some musicians used technology to change the music business. Mostly centers on indie groups. Got it to review from Amazon, still working on the review. :)
  • Good luck writing that review. Thanks to all for the recs! It will take me a while to get through to them....I'm reading all the Don Bruns , first.

The first novel by Bruns was "Jamaica Blue", and set in Jamaica. Yeah, big surprise there. I did learn a tidbit that I'd never known - Rastafarians are named after a guy in Africa named Tafari who was a king. The whole book had a lean towards the reggae genre. This next book I'm reading is covering the rap/hip-hop world.
  • Marcus Garvey foresaw the day, and Haillie Selassie prophesized ... there shall be War
  • ... and speaking of Marcus Garvey, have you read Chester Himes's " Cotton Comes to Harlem". Any Chester Himes is good, but that one's on the Back to Africa Movement. It stars his detective duo, Cotton Ed and Gravedigger Jones - who are what their names lead you to expect.