Gramophone Awards 2009 - nominees

edited August 2009 in Classical
Here's a link to the recently announced Gramophone Awards for 2009.

In the past I would, of course, have created an eMu list and commented on the fact that close to half of the nominees are on eMusic and hurrah! etc etc. New selfish Ayn Rand drama queen Nereffid will do no such thing, however.

Independent labels account for over 2-thirds of the CD nominees, incidentally. Three of the 4 majors are represented. Go on - guess which one isn't!

Comments

• eMusic Selects?
  • Thanks, Nereffid, for the heads up. I am planning on downloading DEBUSSY, C.: Piano Music (Complete), Vol. 4(Bavouzet) - Images / Etudes by Jean-Efflam Bavouzet. It's 76.19 minutes of music, 19 tracks for 12 credits (Chandos). I enjoy Debussy's music, and was quite surprised to find that I don't have a record in my spreadsheet of getting any at eMusic. I do, of course, have some on vinyl and CD.

Oh. My guess? Could it be . . . SONEE? (In my best Dana Carvey's "Church Lady" voice.)

An aside -- Church Lady was one of my favorite SNL characters, and this is one of my favorite skits (because of Sean Penn's role).
  • After listening to the Debussy (Vol. 4, linked above), I am going to check out the other volumes. Thanks, again, Nereffid.
  • Bavouzet's Debussy, "19 tracks for 12 credits (Chandos)".

19 tracks for 19 credits in Europe (here I go again).

By the way, does anyone have any idea why we don't get ANY album price-capping in Europe, when we DO get album-only? I mean, has anyone from Emusic Europe actually given any kind of rationale at all for this? I'd have thought that the two went together, and shouldn't be linked to the absence of Sony, as this affects all labels except those that don't have album-pricing.

Come to think of it, does Emusic Europe ever make any statements at all?
  • I think eMusic Europe exists solely for the purpose of charging customers more in order to pay VAT.

I can't imagine there is any serious rationale for the album-only/no album capping situation. Then again, album capping doesn't make sense with a subscription-based model either. None of it makes any sense. I can buy some "multi-disc" MP3 albums on Passionato.com for three times the price of the physical CDs from MDT. Never ever try to apply logic or common sense to downloading.