Another store PLEASES me

edited August 2009 in General
I've been digging LaLa lately as a good alternative to the other alternatives. The fact that they allow full song previews (only the first time) has really helped me, so I've leaned towards buying there over other places. Today I was excited to see the new David Guetta show up for only $2.99. "When Love Takes Over" was featured on SYTYCD and I loved it without shame... alright, maybe a little shame.

I play through the album, enjoying it for the fun house/pop that it is and decide to plunk down the moolah. But only 11 of the 12 tracks show up. The mysterious track #9 (which is grayed out) is no where to be found. So I send an e-mail to customer service and ask what gives. They tell me that it is unavailable and that the pop-up window said there were only 11 tracks. I fire back with the fact that it says 12 songs at the top of the album page and tells me that I am buying the complete album.

Ball is in their court.

Comments

• Thom, keep us updated on what happens. I haven't bought much there, but obviously it has gone up over the last couple of months.

I have to ask, though, I don't recognize that song at all. When was it used on SYTYCD? As we've discussed previously, that show is my one guilty reality TV pleasure, but I can't place that song.

Craig
  • According to the customer service guy, I will be allowed to d/l that track once it is available to them. I have my doubts, but we'll see.

That song wasn't part of a dance routine, Kelly Rowland actually sang it live. It was the only live music they had that my wife and I didn't turn off immediately! And here it is. Admittedly not a great vocal performance, but I would make a complete ass of myself on the dance floor if this song came on.
  • Ah, that's why I didn't recognize it, I don't usually watch the results shows.

Craig
  • I'll also add that Leona Lewis's "Bleeding Love" was my first single track purchase from Amazon after this performance, one of my absolute favorites.
  • I will confess that I saw Leona Lewis, I believed lip-synching rather than singing that song on some show, it may have been Dancing With The Stars actually (ironically), and was unimpressed, I thought just more "product", until I saw the rerun of that segment and the song actually got to me, and I may find myself buying it too one of these days. Go figure.
  • Thom - That was a definitely a good one.

brittleblood - Have we destroyed our hipster cred? :)

Craig
  • edited August 2009
    Yes, pop music rots the brain, obviously.
    However, since pop songs are theoretically crafted to be catchy, so that when they are played relentlessly on the radio (does anyone still remember radio) listeners will find themselves hearing it in their heads and have to have it, there is still something to be said for a good pop song that has a sound underlying structure and good chord changes and melody. I offer as primary evidence for this what Richard Thompson does with Ooops.I Did It Again on 1000 Years of Popular Music, and also Marty Casey's rendition of Baby One More Time on The Best Of Rock Star INXS. Seriously.
  • I actually listen to the radio every day to and from work. I'm lucky though in that Minnesota Public Radio has a music station called The Current. They still tend to play new songs a little more than I'd like, but at least those new songs are usually ones I like. Plus they dig back to bands like The Faces, The Fall, The Clash et al with some regularity, they play a lot of local bands, there are no commercials, and the DJs are mostly unobtrusive.

If anyone is interested they have a good online stream at: thecurrent.org.

And now to beat Thom to the punch: SHILLLLLLL!

Craig
  • Oh man, bad memories of a fight with my wife over that show just came flooding back. There were some really good performances and that rendition of "Baby One More Time" is an excellent example. It also reminds me of one of my favorite Hoboken acts - My Pocket Zoo. First time I saw them the lead singer was dressed like a Vegas lounge act with a ukulele and he was backed by a drunken Brit on a cocktail drum. They proceeded to cover Britney Spears and Madonna to an enthralled crowd. Here's a clip of Lloyd solo performing an original.

Pop music is awesome when done well. And sometimes it takes a cover to show that off. I still love Ted Leo's rendition of "Since U Been Gone/Maps".
  • I think I need to drop the indieb0i moniker and re-dub myself shilllll.
  • I offer as primary evidence for this what Richard Thompson does with Ooops.I Did It Again on 1000 Years of Popular Music, and also Marty Casey's rendition of Baby One More Time on The Best Of Rock Star INXS.
    I'll take Nickel Creek, thank you.
  • To bring the entire situation to a close, track 9 became available today. Not only did it automagically appear on my awaiting downloads page, but customer support e-mailed me to let me know.

I can go back to be happy with Lala again (which is good, because I also bought Two Suns from Bat for Lashes from them while it's on sale for $4.99.
  • Oh man, you're evil pointing out the Bat for Lashes!

Glad to hear it was a good result.

Craig
  • where's ray23 with his off the cuff quip?