emusic gets smart

edited September 2009 in General
For those of you who were speculating what happened on the RIP_OFF thread I started on emusic, here's the lowdown. It had nothing to do with 7z7--emusic merely took my advice and no longer allows non-paying members to post. I'm not sure why this changed the configuration of the thread, but there you have it. I guess they figured they needed to do SOMETHING to counter the fact that 70% of the threads were variations of "emusic sucks" (I might have suggested they adjust their business practices as a more practical solution, but it's certainly not the first time in history that the First Amendment has lost out to Big Business). At any rate, it's nice to know I affected them in some way.

For those of you who enjoyed the good natured sparring, I salute you. To those of you who merely took the opportunity to engage in gutter-sniping, I'll miss you too. Self-Rising Mojo will no longer be able to watch the chicken dance, so I guess he'll resort to choking it instead. Think of all the quarters he'll save.

Comments

• Resort?
    Embrace!
  • Tell me something TJ. What music do you like? Just curious.

Oh, and the First Amendment only means the government can't stop you (with some exceptions) from expressing your opinion. A private company can do whatever they want on a forum they provide. I realize you probably already know that, but the number of people on the internet who claim a First Amendment violation are a pet peeve of mine.

Craig
  • Embrace? Poor choice of words, that. And you were right--making light of psych ward was bad form. Not nearly as bad as the numerous people who chose to label me with an epithet for the mentally challenged, but nonetheless, I apologize.
  • Blues, folk, rediscoverd Eva Cassidy lately. Not much I really DON'T like. And yes, I DO know that the First Amendment applies to government (with some exceptions). Doesn't make the attempt to stifle free speech any less offensive as much as I completely understand their need to do so.
  • "embrace" has only one central point - a music video of rod stewart hugging himself circa "hot legs" - according to the absurd book of rock existentialism author, tim mason.

• i shall take up willingly or "embrace"
  • welcome aboard tjlandcad! as of midnight i'm no longer a paying member either, but i just successfully added something to the rip-off thread. looks like they're personally censoring you! i'd call that a successful chicken dance.
  • hey. "welcome" is one thing. but let's not go overboard. he has to take the hipster exam.

phase 1: must shout out "people ain't no good!" 3x
  • shouting is sooooo July 2009. get with it man. we mumble now. and hum softly to ourselves.
  • You are the prophet of no revolution.
    You are not our standard bearer.

You had difficulty downloading the music and wanted to quit. Fine.

We put up with all the deficiencies of the business and its site for various reasons, undoubtedly price and selection among them. However, the price and process of purchasing music changed dramatically. Our positions and opinions are far from congruent.

Being the enemy of the management of eMusic makes you no friend.
  • phase 2:

long on to emusers.org. sign into the forums. hold a mirror in one hand. glance over at the discussions column. look in the mirror. choose one of the following.

a. charming.
    b. even i can't help but roll my eyes when i see a post originated by tjlandcad
  • Just got in from over there and saw posts from non-current members/ex-members, whatever you prefer. It just might be personal, or maybe it was business, or the business.
  • edited September 2009
    Well, how do you like that! Emusic finds me such a threat, they need to shut me up. You want to know the funniest thing about the personal ban from emusic? When I attempt to reply to something, it automatically takes me to the "SIGN UP NOW FOR 25 FREE DOWNLOADS" page! I might think that someone at emusic did that purposefully with a true sense of just how ironic that is, except I really can't believe they're that clever. It's just that simply EVERYTHING they do is geared toward the "free" hook.
    I can see why they banned 7z7 if everything that is said about him/her is true. Very interesting tidbit though--that thing about 60% of emusic's income being derived from "inactive" accounts, a large portion of which is, no doubt, "free" trialers. I figured it was significant, but that is absolutely mind-boggling. But not nearly as mind-boggling as the fact that the emusic Blind Faithful are more than just O.K. with that; they actually WELCOME this scummy business practice as a way to subsidize THEIR subscriptions. First time I read a post along those lines, I was convinced it was tongue-in-cheek. Figured it HAD to be. But now I come to see why, in spite of the fact that innumerable people have experienced the same thing I did with emusic, that the B.F. continue to insist that it is the "free" trialers own stupidity (or, at the very least, his or her failure to read the "fine" print) that results in a "free" trial becoming anything but. Eases the conscience to believe that, doesn't it? Otherwise, you're benefitting from out and out thievery. As scummy a corporation as Wal-mart is, can you imagine the uproar if 60% of their posted prices rang up higher at the register? If you were privy to the prices that were accurate, would you continue to shop there, knowing that the ignoramuses paying the higher prices were keeping YOUR prices low? I certainly don't expect this to change anyone's mind, but I now understand a little bit better the vehemence with which I was greeted when I said the Emperor had no clothes.
    I can only hope that if 7z7 has evidence of this, he/she will consider a whistle-blower suit.
  • Gee, mojo, I had such hopes that maybe you had taken up the harmonica, but I see it just ain't in ya. I know the various meanings of "embrace". I was playing with the double entendre of chicken choking and "to grasp or hold firmly" (embrace). Sorry you couldn't play along.
  • Amclark--thanks for the welcome; in spite of the fact that it obviously makes you persona non grata in some's eyes.
    Keep that thread alive! Go for 500. I have no doubt that eventually they may even ban me from reading the boards.
  • Sometimes mumbling to oneself is hip. When mojo does it, it's scary.
  • edited September 2009
    I vote for cookies

Selfrisinmojo does scary real good. I plause Selfrisinmojo
  • phase 3. when riding a dead horse through the valley of the infidels, the gears and gizmos north of your shoulders whir to the conclusion you are being ripped-off by the infidels. knowing full well there are greener pastures and righteous believers elsewhere, you prod your dead horse to declare your outrage by way of decaying odor.

the infidels, previously too busy colluding in order to raise the price of their most precious export, step back and raise a colludingly collective eye at the source of the offensive wave.

being an old stage hand, this is not only familiar ground but also an opportunity to try out a character you're under-studying.

that character is:

a. "raw blow" - the "character" rob lowe penned for his afterhours filming-capades (self-indulgent and best-kept a secret)
    b. matthew broderick's character in "godzilla" (teeth-achingly lame, but you can save us in the end!)
    c. forest gump (he would never rip anyone off!!!)

feel free to add more characters
  • Chas, surely this is not such an emergency as to invoke LDG ( Latter Day Godzilla ) - only the consumption by LDG of said character could have redeemed that film . Such invocations are liable to stir Dr. Shirazawa in his watery grave to untold consequences, or as The Clash said, "Gojira doesn't like it".
  • i'm lissen'n to "tokyo boogie woogie" off rough guide to japan (imagine a really bad japanese flapper). it is their way of sending out noise into the atmosphere to jam any further attempts at hijacking their icons.

in any event, it appears tjleundcldg isn't going to play along.
  • "forest gump (he would never rip anyone off!!!)"

Forest(?) gump - is that something you get on your shoes in the Amazon?
  • dance around "raw blow" as much as you like...it must be the right answer.
  • Ding, Ding, Ding......Survey says 92% of the audience picked...."raw blow" as the answer.
  • All this is doing is reminding me of Bob Loblaw.
  • I miss his Law Blog.

Craig