BIG Sale at LaLa

edited September 2009 in General
Pitchfork Top 200 Albums

Not all of them are on sale, but a lot of them are at least knocked down to $5.99 (just over my $5 max for mp3 albums...) and several are only $1.99! They've put up #100 - #200 and will be adding more the rest of the week. There goes my bank account...

Comments

• edited September 2009
    Thanks for the heads up. They have a lot of albums not available at eMu or Amie - some really good ones for around $2

So far I picked up:

Hercules and Love Affair - S/T
    Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow
    Love is All - Nine Times the Same song
    No Age - Weirdo Rippers
    Mastadon - Leviatan
    Air - Walkie Talkie
    M83 - Sauturdays = Youth
    Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts

Paid $1.99 for all of them except one of the M83 albums which was $2.99

Looking forward to seeing what they drop over the next few days.
  • So far I've grabbed both M83s, Mastodon, Lightning Bolt, and LCD Soundsystem. Will be checking out the Ted Leo releases, too. Looking forward to the rest of the list.
  • They have a lot of albums not available at eMu or Amie - some really good ones for around $2
    '

But you're not really buying them, right? The $2.00 discs I saw only got you the right to stream the disc online. And I'm not paying for that (there, I'd rather go find the physical disc at my used record store, or buy the MP3 download).
  • No, it's for the download. I also never pay for the streaming.

Craig
  • Lala has a web streaming option which is like a dollar or so per album. A little weird, but they have a decent enough interface (and you can now scrobble directly from it!) that I could see someone deciding to save money to just play it online. Not my cup of tea, though.

But if you follow the link I posted you'll see a lot of things that are on sale for $1.99 - $5.99 for the mp3 album.
  • Actually, the great thing about Lala's streaming is that you can hear most of your collection online from them, not just what you purchase from them.
  • Not really surprising, but Radiohead topped the list. Kid A is only $1 over there right now.

Some odd picks in the top 20 (and I'm talking about albums I like, but wouldn't put that high). At least I finally got to pick up Daft Punk's Discovery on the cheap.
  • Definitely a couple in the Top 20 I need to grab (including the Daft Punk).

I'm surprised Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion is only #14. Not because I think it should be higher (that's probably about right in my view), but because I really expected Pitchfork to think it should be higher.

Craig
  • I ended up buying 18 of the albums for an average of $2 apiece. Can't pass up that deal.
  • I only went with five albums, but only one was more than $1.99 and that one was $2.99. Beautiful!

Craig
  • I just got Boredoms and D'Angelo. Very nice sale.

I think it's funny how Sony did't mark down any of their albums.

I also enjoyed the list over all. The top-10 was very heavily first half of the decade which was interesting.

The only thing that really surprised me was The Avalanches - I really don't recall ever hearing much about them or that album at all. Definitely one I need to check out.
  • I'm surprised Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion is only #14. Not because I think it should be higher (that's probably about right in my view), but because I really expected Pitchfork to think it should be higher.

Too new, and too much knee-jerk backlash that counteracted the knee-jerk enthusiasm for the disc. If it had been released in, say, 2007, I think the chances are higher that it would be in the top 10. OTOH, Pitchfork's top 10 has a distinctly early-decade flavor, so maybe there wouldn't be room for a later-decade disc like MPP.
  • I Think you have two things at work here.

First, people tend to rank albums that they've lived with for a while (and which have stood the test of time) more highly than newer ones. Second, there are two AC albums that made it pretty high on the charts, the other being Sun Tongs at 27th. I'm guessing that they split the vote. When most people vote, they will tend to only include one release per artist on their ballots in order to include as many artists as possible. While they might absolutely love both albums, they only voted for one, and some most likely went with the one they've had the longest and listened to the most.
  • @amclark2 - That Avalanches' disc is excellent. "Frontier Psychiatrist" was the track that got lots of play - but I actually think it kind of detracts from the flow of the album.
  • edited October 2009
    This sale looks about over. I waited too long. I have about 20-30 of these already, not sure I need the rest to be happy.

Edit:

Let me correct my above post a bit. I did see it when it was a great sale with lots of 1.99 and 2.99. I was quite tempted, but I'm trying to stick with what I got and allow time to enjoy my downloads. I love that Lala does have great sales on new release. Picked up the latest Decemberists and Rosanne Cash through them for 3.99 when they first came out. I also appreciate that they let you listen to the whole album once for free. Thanks for pointing out the sale.
  • It was an amazing sale, the kind that enticed me to (a) join Lala, (b) buy a lot of discs on sale, and (c) stick around to buy other discs on Lala at regular prices (tho not full discs for $7.50; there, I'd rather find the physical CD if I can).