Be your own street crew!

edited October 2009 in General
Supermassive Quazar's EP dropped last night, quickly garnered around 200 RECs and went up to around 40 cents a track within an hour.

Curious about this emerging phenom, I decided to check out who the rabid fans were. Turns out that the same 20 people have RECed the same handful of albums (and only the same handful of albums), all of which look to be put out by the same small group of people. Notably, one of the "fans" is a user named Quazar, who I assume is Massive Quazar's skinny little brother, or perhaps cousin....

Comments

• I have a feeling we'll be seeing more and more of that, and I'm not sure what Amie could do to stop it.

Doesn't really hurt anything though, so I don't see a reason to stop it. Unless the larger labels on Amie start doing something similar.

Craig
  • edited October 2009
    The only harm might come to the bands and labels who might be organizing these "drives". 40 cents is probably beyond the point at which the casual listener would pass up taking a chance on an unknown band and wait, instead, for the next free release. But if they want to limit the potential for gaining new fans through Amie, they should keep it up.
  • Good point. I hadn't thought about it from that perspective.

Craig
  • I'm wishing him well.... I RECed 3 tracks when it was free.
  • edited October 2009
    cafreema - "I have a feeling we'll be seeing more and more of that, and I'm not sure what Amie could do to stop it."

Amie St may be inclined to do things differently to emusic, but I found a similar scam at emusic a few years back and they were not bothered at all judging from the responses that I got to my emails about it.

I really can't remember the label/artists names, all new age/spiritualist stuff(not my usual cup of tea at all, I think I'd followed some links on other users' lists that liked some things that I'd downloaded). There were about 30-40albums that all had high ratings from approx 10 emusic 'members'. None of these members had rated anything else, many had never downloaded anything, not even the material that they were 'reviewing' despite being members for a while and some of their 'reviews' were blatantly promotional.

I emailed emusic and posted on the message boards, I may as well have not bothered, going on emusic's replies. I've long had a cynical side to my thinking, the more examples like this that I encounter just encourages that side of me!
  • I can't imagine this doing anything but hurting unknown bands. But it could definitely be used by better known bands to promote their release and still prevent people from getting it too cheaply. Although that still seems like way too much work.

I just see it as misguided.
  • But only 3 Recs? Frogkopf, you play a central role in distributing information about music along these networks that calling attention to Massive Quazar's (or its label's) shenanigans will be a strike against its success.