500 lb Gorilla Enters Online Music Biz

edited October 2009 in General
The Google has launched OneBox to search and purchase music.

Comments

• I tried it out and I'm afraid I don't get it. What is this doing that a normal google search didn't do? (Other than filter out hits for emu and amie...)
  • Are you searching from this url?
    http://www.google.com/landing/music/
    Search for "Chuck Berry Maybelline" and hit the shiny, candy-like Play button at the top of the results. You can listen to the whole track and buy it from the popup player.

I'm sure after they shake it down a few weeks you'll get the play button in the regular search results.
  • I tried to search for a danish hippieband called Furekaaben and got links to a blog that was offering their two LP's for free.

another search for a made up bandname: Crap Band came up with:
    THE FAMOUS SHITEATING CRAP BAND.

Another search for a band callled Celer gave no emu links but a lot of links that had nothing to do with music.

So I can't see the point either.
  • I don't get results any different from a regular google search. No big red play button. I assume that is geographical restrictions again. So whatever.

Wake me when that bullshit is over.
  • I can't see one advantage.
  • I get the idea, but not the execution. Those of you outside of the U.S. might not be getting anything because Lala is the primary source and I'm pretty sure they are U.S. only. Regardless, there doesn't seem to be much of an advantage if you already have an account at Lala or some other place.

Now if, on top of giving you the full preview, it showed a breakdown of prices for that song (as well as any potential album deals) at multiple sites it might make sense.
  • I tired it too, and didn't really see anything different from a regular google search.
  • I'll grant it isn't impressive presentation-wise. Then again, Google is always understated.
  • I'm sure it will appeal to the people who want to search for a particular song. In that was it will steer some of the market towards those lucky recipients being linked.