For the REC masters

edited November 2009 in General
How do you know when to cash in your chips on a REC? I mean aside from the obvious of it's at 98 cents. I'm just curious as to what people's strategies are here as I've never paid much attention to RECs before, but when I see people are tripling their money with smart RECs, I can't help but notice. (Especially now that I'm free of the other place.)

Comments

• I usually cash them in whenever they hit 98 cents or are at least 6 months old, unless it's a REC on a fairly big artist that I think is still under priced. Sometimes a new album will push up the price of an artist's back catalog, but otherwise, very little that has been here for a while is moving up in price.

That said, I will often leave them sit until I need more money in my account. Right now I still $180 in cash, so I don't need to touch my REC money for a good while. Last time that happened is when Definitive Jux dropped their whole catalog and most of the albums where selling for $3-$4 - I cashed in a lot and bought the whole catalog.
  • this is where i'd insert an .mpeg of one of those organ monkeys in a fez stealing the diamonds off the princess and returning them to a seemingly-blind frog working the box if i knew anything about bamboozled html.
  • edited November 2009
    "I usually cash them in whenever they hit 98 cents or are at least 6 months old, unless it's a REC on a fairly big artist that I think is still under priced."

Yikes. I've RECd 201 songs and never had one come close to 98 cents. The most I ever got was probably 75 cents, and that one sticks out like a sore thumb because my next highest is probably around $0.50. My average is around $0.20 per REC. I now understand how to maximize the value, in theory, but I just never seem to catch the big new releases when they're free anymore, or else I'm so out of touch I have no idea what's going to max out when I do see it. Probably some combination of the two. I have 381 unused RECs right now, which could get me some serious cred if I knew what the hell I was doing.

FWIW, I generally wait at least three months before cashing them in, unless I'm running out of credits and I can't wait for a credit sale.
  • "I usually cash them in whenever they hit 98 cents"

I have had a few that went that high, often free songs that I rec'ed, then eventually Amie removes them from the free list and puts them at 98 cents. I am usually proud of anything that is more that about 30 cents! I am just over 11,0000 with 438 recs made, so the average is around 25 cents a rec. Still, that is over a hundred dollars in free money, and since I usually only buy during holiday sales, I've had even more free money to work with on the site.