Summer Burn?

edited June 2009 in General
Anybody else signed up for the summer burn this year?
I'm a bit behind with getting mine sorted out, but there's still 7 days to sign up if you're interested.
Then another week or so to get things ready - although a LOT of people don't send discs immediately, so not too bad if it takes a bit longer.

http://www.funjunkie.co.uk/the_summer_burn.cfm

Might make a nice distraction from the ongoing train wreck at emusic.

Comments

• Interesting. What kind of things do people send? I'm pretty sure my music knowledge is not as deep as most people that do this and don't want to disappoint anyone.

Craig
  • Don't worry, you get all sorts of things - ranging from well-known summery pop hits with track lists scribbled on bits of paper, to super obscure weird tunes with semi-pro quality artwork.
    The best advice usually is to make a mix that YOU like, then not worry too much about the packaging unless you really want to.

Either way, most people are happy enough to get anything fairly quickly.
    A couple of years ago there was a lot of sending very late or not at all, which was a bit of a downer.

You can also arrange extra swaps in the Funjunkie forum and keep an eye out for pretty ones in the Flickr group.
  • May give it a shot. Thinking about diong a Minnesota Summer theme using only local (for me) acts. It'll take some time, but I think I can do it. "Raspberry Beret" would be a must, but after that....

Craig
  • Just finished my disc this afternoon, posted the cover and tracklist in the Flickr group.
  • I think I've got my tracklist laid out, but am going to be listening to it tonight to confirm. Then it's on to working on the artwork. I'm not the most artistic, so it won't be anything like yours but it should be pretty good nonetheless.

I also got a friend of mine signed up to participate.

Craig
  • I'm doing the summer burn this year. I still need to make my mix, though. Looking forward to seeing what xtrev has put together this year.
  • If anybody wants to do an extra swap, let me know. I'd be curious to hear yours.

Craig
  • I'm doing the burn too. Just put mine in the mail a few days ago. Will be curious to see what I get from my two people. Last year I had a good assorted CD from a guy in Canada, then the other guy about a month or so later sent this heavy metal mix CD that I had to give to a friend. Regardless, I like the idea of making and sending mix CDs, even if it's hit and miss sometimes.

Here's my track list:

Trashcan Ode to Sunshine Delta Spirit
    Jennifer Jennifer Pete And The Pirates
    Middle Cyclone Middle Cyclone Neko Case
    Bow Selected + Collected: An eMusic Sele… She Keeps Bees
    Birds Fly Away Hummingbird, Go! Theresa Andersson
    15 To 20 Insound Digital Mixtape- June09 The Phenomenal Handclap Band
    The Story I Heard 3 Rounds and a Sound Blind Pilot
    Heimat Ferndorf Hauschka
    Eid Ma Clack Shaw Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle Bill Callahan
    Sugarfoot Tell 'Em What Your Name Is! Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears
    C'est pas d'lamour eXtraOrdinary rendition Rupa & the April Fishes
    Stranger Than the Stranger Pax Futura Oliver Future
    Devils Loose Paste Magazine Sampler 53 AA Bondy
    I Heard Your Voice In Dresden Elvis Perkins In Dearland Elvis Perkins In Dearland
    Vermillion Plaza Moondagger Deastro

and yes, it's quite eMu heavy. Makes me wonder if my burn next summer will be just as eMu heavy or not.
  • I've missed this bollocks.

Here's a bottom from my first effort:

summerburn.jpg

I don't get BB code so this will inevitably not work.
  • Got my first CD in the mail today from gigerpunk, and am listening to it now.

I think I'm going to be hooked on the Summer Burn.

Craig
  • edited July 2009
    I finally finished my mix. There's no way I'll be able to get an image up like DBD did, but I think you can access the mix here. Just find the Summer Burn 2009 post.

Tracks:

1. The Left Banke - “I’ve Got Something on My Mind”
    2. Golden Silvers - “True Romance (True No. 9 Blues)”
    3. Manfred Mann - “My Little Red Book”
    4. Menahan Street Band - “Home Again!”
    5. Pelle Carlberg - “Go to Hell, Miss Rydell”
    6. Discovery - “Orange Shirt”
    7. Wild Beasts - “The Devil’s Crayon”
    8. Crystal Stilts - “Love Is a Wave”
    9. The Seeds - “Can’t Seem to Make You Mine”
    10. Elvis Costello & The Attractions - “Watching the Detectives” (Live 2/28/78)
    11. The-Dream - “Mr. Yeah”
    12. Telefon Tel Aviv - “Stay Away from Being Maybe”
    13. MC Honky - “Soft Velvety ‘Fer”
    14. Ben E. King - “Spanish Harlem”
    15. Rachid - “Sweet Charity”
    16. Dirty Projectors + David Byrne - “Knotty Pine”
    17. Breathe Owl Breathe - “Boat”
    18. Dan Deacon - “Snookered”
    19. Born Ruffians - “I Need a Life” (Four Tet Remix)
    20. Damon Albarn - “Heavenly Peach Banquet”
  • Yeah Pelle Carlberg!