Classical Ear Candy

edited November 2009 in Classical
As much as A like a good rendition of a Symphony by Mahler or ol' Ludwig Van, often I have a hankering for shorter. catchier tunes which function more like pop music.

Here's some of my favorites. I must have a dozen different versions of each one

Bartok Romanian Dances (video). have violin and orchestra, piano, and orchestral versions. Like this version, and love Dorati's version on the old Living Stereo series (which was recorded two buildings over from where I am now working).

Bruchs Violin Concerto in G minor - lots of good versions of this out there. Ruggiero Ricci had one on Vox from the 60s or 70s which was my first, and maybe still my favorite.

Brahms Hungarian Dances, composed of 21 tasty bite-sized nuggets. Undoubtedly, some of the most play music in the repertoire , they still stand up to repeated listenings . Several good versions in Piano & Violin, Two pianos, and Orchestra. Penguin Guide gave the Istvan Bogar set on Naxos the coveted rosette.

Dvorak Slavonic Dances - 16 pop gems. Lot's off good versions on eMu (I think Supraphon has close to a dozen alone) in orchestral, string orchestra, and two piano versions, but my favorite remains the George Szell versions currently on Sony (get the CD, as it's budget priced)

Comments

• Dvorak's Prague Waltzes are less well-known than the Slavonic Dances, but equally tuneful. In the same vein, Smetana's Czech dances (both piano and orchestral versions) are just as delicious, and the polka in the Bartered Bride is hard to beat for sheer fizz.